JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Some ranges don't allow "rapid fire", but none I've seen define what is meant by "rapid fire". What is your understanding of the term? Referring to handguns....not rifles or machine guns.

Rapid Fire - a rate of ammunition discharged from a firearm that could be deemed uncontrolled, inaccurate or in such a large pattern as to be missing the intended target completely.

Not textbook - just my own definition. Reality is I think it depends on the firearm. For example it has been proven the fastest Union Soldiers of the Civil War could get four rounds a minute out of their Springfields which is a very high rate of fire for that firearm. I will never try it with mine.

I think Sam's was defining it as either 2 rounds per second or faster than 1 round every 2nd second.
I can't recal. ...but I do remember that they explain it further as no double taps.
LEO are exempt from that rule at that range.

I have never had any issues firing at a rate of about 1 round per second.

In Tri County, I think it's 2 or more shots within a second.

Yes, and it is a good idea to print out page 2 or 8 of the range rules that defines it that way. It would be better if they defined it as no more than two shots every three seconds, that way double tap shots would be allowed.

In the Action range this rule does not apply as long as you are shooting in a controlled manner; no bumpfiring, etc; no full auto or slide stocks.

Hi JackD,
Here is what I found on the internet;

American Heritage Dictionary:
rap·id-fire

Home > Library > Literature & Language > Dictionary
(răp'ĭd-fīr')
adj. 1.Designed to fire shots in rapid succession: a rapid-fire machine gun.
2. Marked by continuous rapid occurrence: rapid-fire questions.

Read more: rapid-fire: Definition from Answers.com

Hope this helps,
Tony Portland, Oregon Area

Somewhere I heard that if you were involved in a self defense shooting... you don't wanna say double tap. What you wanna say is TWO CONTROLLED SHOTS lol. Rapid fire to me is pulling the trigger as fast as I can till my magazine is empty.

Interesting. And just as I thought. No real concensus as to what it means as it relates to the range. It is a relative term and needs context to have any real meaning. It's really up to the rangemaster on duty at the time.

I was wondering if there was a "real" definition as it related to handguns (or rifles for that matter).

If you have to ask, you're probably guilty.

Not yet. ;) I have my own range and I have no such restrictions. But I'm going to WA to visit my son and we usually visit his friendly neighborhood range. It has a sign posted against "rapid-fire" on the handgun range. I wanted to do some testing of different caliber handguns in "fast as we can repeat fire and still hit the target". Can't do that in my home range. It's indoors and misses make holes in the walls and large calibers are hard on the bullet trap as well as the neighbors nerves.

There is a specific Definition in the NRA Rule Book that governs a specific form of Competition. Such as the 2700 Matches(3 Pistol) and High Power(Rifle); as these shoot both a "Slow Fire" and a "Rapid Fire" string. I don't happen to have a current Rule Book in front of me but I'm sure these Rules are Posted somewhere on the web. As an NRA Range Safety Officer; I personally consider any firing where the basics of Marksmanship are not being followed "could" be called Rapid Fire. Mike

There is a specific Definition in the NRA Rule Book that governs a specific form of Competition. Such as the 2700 Matches(3 Pistol) and High Power(Rifle); as these shoot both a "Slow Fire" and a "Rapid Fire" string. I don't happen to have a current Rule Book in front of me but I'm sure these Rules are Posted somewhere on the web. As an NRA Range Safety Officer; I personally consider any firing where the basics of Marksmanship are not being followed "could" be called Rapid Fire. Mike

So if I could empty a 10 round mag. in five seconds and hit the target every time, I'd be OK?

I won't be a member of nor financially support any range or club that has arbitrary restrictions on rate of fire.

My normal drill is draw from the holster and fire two, 3, or four rapid shots, and do the same from the ready. My shot groups are typically within a hand-sized group or smaller in the thoracic area of the target.

There is nothing remotely unsafe about this. I've been a member of a couple of clubs who simply ban unsafe practices, as defined by the range master. If you're emptying out your AR and hitting the target, I don't care how fast you're shooting. If you're SLOW firing and putting rounds over the berm, you're done.

Somewhere I heard that if you were involved in a self defense shooting... you don't wanna say double tap. What you wanna say is TWO CONTROLLED SHOTS lol. Rapid fire to me is pulling the trigger as fast as I can till my magazine is empty.

Actually, what you want to say is nothing unless you are talking to your attorney.

Yeah, there is no official legally-defined definition.

Check at your range for their definition. The common definitions I've seen are:
* More than one trigger pull per second.
* More than three shots in any given two-second span. (I think this one was done to specifically allow double-tap.)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top