Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

What is the critical dimension for a CCW?

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by MarkSBG, Dec 12, 2009.

1. MarkSBG

MarkSBG Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

Hey all,

What is the critical dimension for a CCW? For me, the thicker the gun, the harder it is for me to hide. (Maybe that is because I have a slim frame...) I like a gun that is thin in the area where it goes IWB. To thick and I feel like I need a parka to hide it.

The one dimension that I don't mind being bigger is the length of the barrel. I can conceal a 5" 1911 without too much trouble, but have difficulty with guns that are particularly thick.

What is easy or hard for you to carry?

If I missed a feature, let me know and I will add it...

2. cyclesarge

cyclesarge Eugene OR, DUH! We're ALL in the NORTHWEST Well-Known Member

It's gotta be thin, but if the grip is too long that's no good either. I agree a long barrel is easiest to conceal.

3. PDXGS

PDXGS Aloha... yes, Aloha, Oregon Member

I looked for my CCW based on weight...I was looking for something I could carry while riding a bicycle. I ended up with a S&W Scandium J frame. Later on I purchased a Walther PPS for a slimmer, more modern CC tool thinking its slim profile and overall small size would make it as easy to carry conceled as the J-frame- it wasn't. So, I ended up selling the PPS and a PPK/s because when it came down to it they were just too heavy compared to the 364PD J-Frame.
    So, I listed weight as primary followed by overall lateral size follwed by thickness.

4. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin Pacific Northwest Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

Thickness is very important, but the length of the grip is the most important to me. A longer grip frame is very hard to conceal when moving. I can conceal my doubly stack Glock 33 more easily than my Colt Commander 1911 due to how short the grip is on the Glock.

5. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

+1 on the grip issue! :thumbup:

I love my 9mm Beretta 92F but its humongous compared to my curent CCW in .45ACP.

6. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Corvallis, OR Resident Science Nut

The critical dimension is yourself ;)

7. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Well now... THAT is another matter altogether, depending on what part of yourself you measure! :D

8. kito109654

kito109654 Everett, WA Member

I'm not fond of the poll options but I chose "thin at the grip." I think a thick gun is the most troublesome to conceal effectively, with the grip length being the next most important dimension for me. Lightweight is a bonus but not necessary, IMO.

9. swoop

swoop Milwaukie, Oregon Well-Known Member

Summer time, thin, short grip, short barrel, like Kahr PM. Winter time I carry all the handguns that have been waiting to go for a ride all summer.

10. Will

Will Everett Active Member

Weight is #1 the rest I can deal with. It has to be easy to carry and that for the most part is weight. I respect the 1911 frame but the S&W M&P or the FNH FNP offers the same result with far less weight. It has to be a fifearm I will carry daily, not to be cool but an item I will carry daily like my watch, cell phone and wallet. All are there for a purpose, looking back a few years leaving your cell phone in the car made sense because of the size and weight. Firearms are much the same.

11. natetang

natetang Oregon New Member

length of grip here.

12. eriknemily

eriknemily Tillamook County (Cheese!) Member

Grip length. I hate it when my gun butt sticks out past my butt:paranoid:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  13. korntera

korntera Oregon Member

I answered must be short from bottom of mag to rear site but I think thin is also important. I carry a glock 26 and my biggest qualm is that it is a little wider than I would like. I carry at 3 o clock. I used to carry a commander size 1911 with a shoulder holster in that case I wanted a short barrel and mag length did no matter, so it partially depends on where/how you carry.