JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok this might be a stupid question but let me start by saying I don't know anything about AKs. With that being said, I'm starting to become intrigued with the idea of owning my first AK to keep my true love (my AR) company. I've done some research here and there on the internet but I just get scattered information. I'm just wondering who makes the best AKs on the market right now (or ever) and what makes them the best? Also what do you AK owners/lovers out there think about the 5.56 AK variants? Just curious because I already have a bunch of that ammo already and have no 7.62 ammo yet.... Any info greatly appreciated!:s0155:

I had a MAK90 in .223, it was a pretty nice gun. Mags were a little hard to come by, but not impossible. It was a great shooter, as long as you remember it's an AK and don't expect sub-MOA groups from it most won't disappoint.

As for new production .223s, look at the Arsenals. Bulgarian guns with great quality mags available.

As far as a quality gun.....you'll get 20 different responses....

I've owned the MAK, an SAR-1, a WASR 10/63, and a Saiga. The MAK was probably the nicest for fit and finish, followed by the Saiga. The SAR and WASR, while good guns, leave a little to be desired in the "finish" department.

my MAK90:

05-1.jpg

( I did convert it to pistol grip config....it was a thumbhole stock originally )

Me and the WASR last motnh @ PR:

....and I'm sure they'll be about 10 different AK nuts posting after me with more... ;^)

I guess I'm not an AK purist because I don't care about the wood, I prefer the look and function with aftermarket plastic parts. Happy with my SAR-1, very accurate up to 100 yards, pleasure to shoot and you know it's going to last.

The 7.62 round is very impressive

the vepr is a great gun but you cant change the stock and it weighs alot more (guess atlest 50% more)

cant go wrong with anything milled
most anything hungarian or bulgarian will be a great gun

my personal fav is polish but its not cause they are the best
the just speak to my little broken mind :D

I would have to say the Valmet M-76 for me, since I have 3 of them. Made in Finland, .223 caliber, mags are to come by, but you could convert Bulgarian waffle mags with Circle 10 to fit. Very accurate for an AK.

I'm partial to the Saiga. Have one in 7.62x39 and it's just a nicely made, reliable rifle, from the same manufacturer that gave us the original AK's. Can't ask for much more. I've tried the WASR variety before, and while it functioned alright, seemed to be of lower quality.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top