JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks for all the input. I think I'm going to start shopping for a Saiga. I like the look of the gun without the pistol grip, not so evil. I know I could order one and save a few bucks but I'd rather support a local (Vancouver WA) dealer. Where would you guys go?
Thanks again

Let us know what you get and how you like it.. pics mandatory

Thanks for all the input. I think I'm going to start shopping for a Saiga. I like the look of the gun without the pistol grip, not so evil. I know I could order one and save a few bucks but I'd rather support a local (Vancouver WA) dealer. Where would you guys go?
Thanks again

Good choice. A buddy of mine has one. I have shot it pre and post conversion and it is a fantastic rifle. I liked it both ways but the factory trigger group is a little stiff when compared to the conversion trigger group. I don't think you will be sorry for purchasing a Saiga.

I read all these post with interest as I have had most of the guns mentioned with the exception of the Mini 30. One of my fellow shooters did buy a new Mini 30 last year and subsequently dumped it when it was discovered that it was as finiky about ammo as a cheap .22 auto.
Anyway, I do miss my simple and reliable (not to mention pretty accurate) SKS's primarily for their rustic charm. BUT, the one rifle not mentioned in the posts, and the one rifle worthy of your consideration, is the Czech VZ58. Not the Century arms version, but a true Czech Sa vz. 58. Reasonable price, awsome quality, highly accurate, light and nimble. Lots of magazines and parts kits available.
I bought one a couple of years ago, and gradually (after shooting mine) most of my shooting buddies have picked up one to replace their AK platform guns. I ended up buying a Czech armorer's kit for kicks and grins...mostly because I wanted the really cool storge crate it came in...for less than the cost of an SKS. It had enough spare parts in it to equip four of my buddies with SHTF small internal parts as well as some of the bigger stuff.
Anyway, check it out. I guess the key here is that the best plinker, deer gun, SHTF gun is the one you actually have (with plenty of ammo) when the poop does hit the fan.
Good Luck

Yeah the VZ-58 is definitely a worthwhile option to consider. Although a lot of people say it's flat-out better than an AK, I haven't found this to be true. It has some advantages over the AK, but also some disadvantages. It is however very fun, very well-made, very reliable, and has tons of cool factor. It didn't replace my AK's though... figured why choose between the two platforms, when you can have both!

Definitely not a fan if the Mini-30; too many reports of it not liking steel-cased ammo. It almost defeats the purpose of owning a 7.62x39.

I've got, or had all of the above mentioned. Ruger mini 30 way to expensive for what it is. Seigas shoot justs as well at 1/2 the price. I sold my X39 but kept the 308 if your going to use it for hunting though you may want to get a burning permit 4' muzzele blast and loud on the 308. I've got a VZ58 from Century, I guess some early runs had some issues, the one I've got is great, mine WAY more accurate than AKs and way more ergonomic and way better overall quality and much lighter, from a local shop new $335.00 down the road,w/2 mags, 1/2 + less than a czech. Not going to find anything much less than 300 for new/ex condition. Draco's ,junk they shoot ok but cheap looking sloppy and not practical really, fun toy to shoot though, couple of my friends that had them said they didn't hold up well, but in all fairness they shoot allot so can't say for sure. For hunting deer a 762x39 is kinda marginal unless <100 yards or your a good shot. Why not 308 better all around caliber, more versital if you reaload and even if you don't, better for deer+brush + larger game. Ammo wise not really that much more than x39 for the performance gains relized. In my Siaga really not that much more recoil, just a flame thrower. My picks in x39 cals, #1 VZs best AK simular style #2 Saiga,#3Yugo AKs #4 most any other AK platform about the same all about 2-3 moa last Ruger, to spendy. 308 wise and what you want to spend ,limited choices should be able to pick up used Saiga, guessing 350-400, mabye less don't know the market in your area? Remember propryitory mags for saigas, unless pre ban 762 x39, only draw back to them. Hopes this helps, later Les

Oh ya forgot to mention the SKS'S like you had $ for $ best buy, not the $79 now days, they are in the 300 range now too, who'd a thunk it, but you said you wanted to get away from them, correct?

EAA just came out with a new 7.62x39 rifle the Zastava P.A.P., It looks neat, I already ordered a few. My cost is about $20 less than the Saiga in 7.62x39. Has a black synthetic stock with a thumbhole and it looks like the thumbhole is in a good place, not too thick like the CAI model 1164's are.
It also comes with a 10rd mag just like the Saiga does, so folks like Bugeye can feel good about it's "sporting purpose"

Yup 308 for sure if your going to use it for hunting too. And from time to time there are some good deals on ammo, sort of. Every thing has gone out of sight now days, just like the days of the Russian sks for $99.00, I'm afraid we won't see those days back again. I haven't seen the new EEA's yet, I'll have to check them out. I've had some EEA's handguns and long guns in the past and no issues. I worked up some loads for my Saiga .308 and have been able to get some pretty fair groups with a scope on it, <1 moa, barley,with a nice bench and rest. Not target, but acceptible none the less. I took a pretty respectible bear with it 2-3 years ago, and it dumped him in his tracks @ 75 yards, no prob. Good option if you don't mind spending $30 more per case.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top