JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi,
A couple of years ago I sold my SKS am I'm ready to replace it. I want a short barreled semi auto that shoots 7.62x39. Originally, I was thinking of another paratrooper sks but they seem to be at a premium right now so I'm wondering what you guys think about spending a little more cash for a mini 30 or saiga ak. I just don't think I can bring myself to spend more than $350 for an sks but I'd gladly spend more for a superior rifle.
Thanks in advance.

I know what you mean. I bought my Russian SKS for $79 and just can't bring myself to pay more than that to replace it. However, even at $300 the SKS is a lot of bang for the buck. Arguably more accurate than an AK and yet just as rugged. I think the only thing the AK has over the SKS is it is designed for detatchable magazines making reloads faster.

If detachable mags are a requirement I would skip the saiga and go straight to the AK. By the time you convert your Saiga you're in as much as if you had just bought the AK to start.

I too have considered getting a Mini-30, as it is such a compact package. But I have learned that spare parts are not available from Ruger---you have to send them the entire rifle even if you simply need a new firing pin! I actually LIKE the looks of the unmodified Saiga AKS, but the folklore is that the SKS is still more accurate anyway. Norinco 20-inchers seem to sell for around 300 dollars on this board lately.............................elsullo

Well, if you are looking for a low cost, high reliability brush, plinking and SHTF gun (and since you are excluding an SKS) I would recommend either a Romanian WASR or a Saiga with the 'Option' stock. I have one of each and I cannot find fault with either in the function and reliability departments. As mentioned above, an unconverted Saiga limits you to Saiga magazines.

Keith

I love my SGL and for the price you can not do any better. I only paid about half of what they are going for now. Wish I would have bought more than one!

I would also recommend the Draco AK pistol because you can always pay the tax and put a stock on it and you have a nice compact AK platform that is reliable and it shoots the caliber you like. I got two of these pistols and if I don't sell one for profit, I will keep one pistol and one SBR. It's an AK you can legally conceal carry assuming you have a valid CHL/CCW.

Oh BTW.... if you SBR the Draco you must fallow 922R....

Thanks for all the input. I think I'm going to start shopping for a Saiga. I like the look of the gun without the pistol grip, not so evil. I know I could order one and save a few bucks but I'd rather support a local (Vancouver WA) dealer. Where would you guys go?
Thanks again

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads