JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What the 2nd Amendment is to me?

It gives United States Citizens the right to own and carry firearms.
We can carry our firearms on any public property.
We have the right to carry concealed or not.
We do not need a permit to carry a firearm.
We do not need to take a class to carry a firearm.
We do not need a FFL to sell or purchase firearms.
We are able to purchase firearms in any state of our country.
When a felon has served his or her time in jail, prison or probation, the 2nd Amendment should be restored to them.
It should be the discretion of the parents to decide when their child should own a firearm.
It does not give the government the ability to put regulations on it without first asking the Citizens for the permission to do it.
Only the Citizens has the right to add to or remove anything from the 2nd Amendment.

That is what the 2nd Amendment means to me. Close to the original intent? I think so.

Wallace2Freedom.jpg

to me ....... it's exactly what it reads -- the right to bear arms !!
for self protection against goverment forces
for self protection in home or on property
to be able to incorperate a malitia at state or city levels (we,re getting close to it now)
they work great for hunting also

when i was young i bought my first rifle in a gunshop in south dakota.... i was about 8-9 my dad drove me down, and i handed the guy 20.00 for an almost new 22 semi auto moss.. back then it was no different then buying a bottle of coke !
as i was growing up, guns were never talked about.... we just had them ! my dad always told me, you never know when you mite have to defend yourself, or your family ! basically... i grew up thinking everyone had guns in their home ! to my surprise i found out later in life, that not all people had guns! kinda blew me away at twelve yrs. old . (1961) i'm thinking how are these people going to protect themselves ? i remember asking my dad, and he said other people will have to give'm a gun, and they will be asked to join the malitia, or get in the "root celler" they forgot to build !!!!!!!

my thoughts....steven

When a felon has served his or her time in jail, prison or probation, the 2nd Amendment should be restored to them.
It should be the discretion of the parents to decide when their child should own a firearm.
It does not give the government the ability to put regulations on it without first asking the Citizens for the permission to do it.
Only the Citizens has the right to add to or remove anything from the 2nd Amendment.

That is what the 2nd Amendment means to me. Close to the original intent? I think so.

My 1st opinion is that the 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution is supposed to restrict the FEDERAL government from infringing on our rights to keep and bear arms. Since it has no provisions for exceptions (e.g. concealed carry), then the FEDERAL government should not be able to restrict concealed carry.

My 2nd opinion is that the states may add restrictions only as far as allowed by that state's constitution.

My 3rd opinion is that in Oregon, we have a constitutional right to concealed carry (since the Oregon state constitution does not have an "exception" for concealed carry like some other state constitutions). {See two examples below}

Oregon: The people shall have the right to bear arms for the defence of themselves, and the State, but the Military shall be kept in strict subordination to the civil power

Colorado: The right of no person to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property, or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall be called in question; but nothing herein contained shall be construed to justify the practice of carrying concealed weapons.

I grew up in a house with 30 or so rifles and shotguns on the wall. It just seems natural to have them around. The second amendment is the same as others have posted. It means if I want M2 or SBS Saiga, I just go out and get one. They should be on the ATFE convenience store shelf between the beer and cigarettes and across from the grenades.

Here is a good read.

<broken link removed>

Be sure to read the comments.

By far the best comment:
"In Mexico there is a 30 year mandatory sentence for possession of a firearm. As you know this has led to the lowest crime rate of any country in history. The police in Mexico are trying to change the law there so they don't have to carry a heavy pistol because there is not a need to ever use one. The police there love the job because it is so peaceful. In fact the only guns in Mexico are the ones sent there by the BATF to some people in the pharmaceutical industry. Soon California will be just as safe as Mexico. The police in California know that the people they need to watch out for are the ones that follow the law and that when the going gets tough they can count on the ones that dont follow the law for back up. I should move there."

There are a lot of things like paying Federal Income Tax that turn my stomach. Things I know are a fraud, but I do it because I don't look good in stripes. The last thing I'd do is carry w/o a valid CHL or anything stupid on that level that would expose me to 'liability.' What is and what should be are two different things.

this is incorrect. it is only partial true.

Find out why, maybe?
Go to hannityforhillsdale.com and sign up for a 5 week webinar "Introduction to the Constitution,"
Presented by Hillsdale College it should be pretty good.
i have studied, but am looking forward to see what my level of understanding.

That is what I believe.
You can say it's incorrect or only partially true if you like.

There are a lot of things like paying Federal Income Tax that turn my stomach. Things I know are a fraud, but I do it because I don't look good in stripes. The last thing I'd do is carry w/o a valid CHL or anything stupid on that level that would expose me to 'liability.' What is and what should be are two different things.

I know that there are ways that we are legally able to exercise our 2nd Amendment right. If I exercised it the way I see it I too would be wearing stripes.

I am just saying how I see the 2nd Amendment. I believe the 2nd Amendment has been drastically infringed! It is FAR from what I believe was the original intent.

Here is a great read on rights.

<broken link removed>

"Coincident with the right of individual liberty under the provisions of our Government is the right of individual property. The position which the individual holds in the conception of American institutions is higher than that ever before attained anywhere else on earth. It is acknowledged and proclaimed that he has sovereign powers. It is declared that he is endowed with inalienable rights which no majority, however great, and no power of the Government, however broad, can ever be justified in violating."

2A from the horse's mouth:

"The constitutions of most of our States assert, that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves, in all cases to which they think themselves competent, (as in electing their functionaries executive and legislative, and deciding by a jury of themselves, in all judiciary cases in which any fact is involved,) or they may act by representatives, freely and equally chosen; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
---Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. Memorial Edition 16:45, Lipscomb and Bergh, editors.

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
---Thomas Jefferson: Draft Virginia Constitution, 1776.

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
---James Madison,The Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops that can be, on any pretence, raised in the United States. A military force, at the command of Congress, can execute no laws, but such as the people perceive to be just and constitutional; for they will possess the power, and jealousy will instantly inspire the inclination, to resist the execution of a law which appears to them unjust and oppressive."
---Noah Webster, An Examination of the Leading Principles of the Federal Constitution (Philadelphia 1787).

"The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

"...but if circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form an army of any magnitude, that army can never be formidable to the liberties of the people, while there is a large body of citizens, little if at all inferior to them in discipline and use of arms, who stand ready to defend their rights..." (Alexander Hamilton speaking of standing armies in Federalist 29.)

"The Constitution shall never be construed....to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms" (Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87)

"The great object is that every man be armed" ... "everyone who is able may have a gun." (Patrick Henry, in the Virginia Convention on the ratification of the Constitution)

"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." (Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-8)

My 1st opinion is that the 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution is supposed to restrict the FEDERAL government from infringing on our rights to keep and bear arms. Since it has no provisions for exceptions (e.g. concealed carry), then the FEDERAL government should not be able to restrict concealed carry.

My 2nd opinion is that the states may add restrictions only as far as allowed by that state's constitution.

My 3rd opinion is that in Oregon, we have a constitutional right to concealed carry (since the Oregon state constitution does not have an "exception" for concealed carry like some other state constitutions). {See two examples below}

The 2nd amendment does not just prevent only the federal government's ability to restrict firearms, but all state and local governments as well.

This is why state and local governments cannot legally restrict your freedom of speech.

You might be thinking of the enumerated powers clause of the Constitution, which lays out the proper role of the Federal Government: Enumerated powers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is why Clinton's AWB was illegal on two levels,
1) It was in violation of the 2nd amendment
and
2) It was not within the scope of the Federal Government's ability to ban items which displease the people in power.

The 2nd amendment does not just prevent only the federal government's ability to restrict firearms, but all state and local governments as well. They do restrict it on many levels.

This is why state and local governments cannot legally restrict your freedom of speech. They restrict it also.

We the People, The Citizens, have ignored or have not been paying attention. We have let the people who are working for us, who are supposed to be working for OUR interests do things and pass laws that are against what We say is right, lawful and Constitutional.

We are waking up.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads