JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
as a Sig fan the recent issues with a number of their models is perplexing; my Colt Mustang circa 1985ish has never had even one parts failure. Over the years unsure of round count, but much closer to 5k than 500.
I must admit that my faith in my P220 faltered a bit when the tiny hammer reset spring failed. Less than $10 from Brownell's, and the department armorer installed it in about 10 minutes, but it was unsettling in a duty weapon.

I must admit that my faith in my P220 faltered a bit when the tiny hammer reset spring failed. Less than $10 from Brownell's, and the department armorer installed it in about 10 minutes, but it was unsettling in a duty weapon.

I don't think any failure isn't unsettling.
We have a Taurus TCP that I bought brand new for my wife. After the new gun blues, has been perfect. That is until last Sunday when I decided to give it some exercise. First round was fine, but it was a FTE and a round jacked up right under it. Cleared that and it happened again. After that it was fine for that mag and the others I put thru it, but I'm not sure I can consider this anything but a single shot now.:(

Firearms, just like every other mechanical device, are subject to the ravages of wear and tear. The mythos of 100% reliability is just that, a myth. I hear people bragging about how their favorite (insert high dollar brand name here) has never had a failure. Oddly, they always forget get to add the word "yet". Shoot any firearm enough, and it's going to fail. Period. I've personally worked to failure dozens of guns, but I typically shoot somewhere in the neighborhood of 1000 rounds per week. The only thing anyone can do is take proper care of their firearms, be cognizant of their respective round counts so preventive maintenance can be performed appropriately, and hope that any parts replaced are fully to specifications. Having said all that, I don't think it's advisable for anyone to have 100% faith in any man made device.

the 'high primers' in revolvers may bind & limit free rotation of the cylinder, making it stiff or unmanageable. Too high & the cylinder may not even close completely. "A friend" showed me how this works.....*kaff*kaff*

Yeah, the P365 looks like anything BUT something I would carry 365 days a year. What a POS. I feel sorry for all the guys that ran out and bought one right away thinking because it says Sig on it, it must be a good gun. :rolleyes:

Yeah, the P365 looks like anything BUT something I would carry 365 days a year. What a POS. I feel sorry for all the guys that ran out and bought one right away thinking because it says Sig on it, it must be a good gun. :rolleyes:
Not a SIG fanboi, but I'm confident that they will get it fixed.
Funky rollout, though.
To be able to get 12+1 in that thing is a feat.
Partial double stack, I'm thinkin'.

If Walther copies that and releases a PPS-M3, that will be the perfect sub-compact carry piece.

It would be interesting to compare P226 mag width to P365 mag width.
Anybody ?

Not a SIG fanboi, but I'm confident that they will get it fixed.
Funky rollout, though.
To be able to get 12+1 in that thing is a feat.
Partial double stack, I'm thinkin'.

If Walther copies that and releases a PPS-M3, that will be the perfect sub-compact carry piece,

The 320 drop failure and now the 365 trigger springs/broken firing pins? Is Sig taking advice from Taurus?

And really, if the right amount of R&D was done beforehand, there shouldn't be anything to be "fixed". They should have caught this before the first gun was shipped. Rushed out the door to try and stay competitive, and it backfires. Bad business decisions being made in the Sig camp lately.

And really, if the right amount of R&D was done beforehand, there shouldn't be anything to be "fixed". They should have caught this before the first gun was shipped. Rushed out the door to try and stay competitive, and it backfires. Bad business decisions being made in the Sig camp lately.

You seem well informed on the 365, so what exactly is the failure rate ? Didn't Ruger have a recall on the LCP at first ?
Springfield on the XDs ? Didn't the Army test the 320 before the Striker fans jumped in ? Didn't Glock Lose ?

High primers in a revolver. Usually caused by very light loads that do not set the case back onto the primer. Upon firing, the primer is partially pushed out of the case by pressure - the same pressure which expands the case against the chamber walls. As that pressure drops (bullet exiting the barrel), the case then pulls free of the chamber walls, but is set back against the breech face by residual pressure which re-seats the spent primer. With a very light, i.e. target load, the case may not be pushed all the way back, so the primers may protrude from the case head and drag on the breech face or recoil shield.

In a semi-auto, it could be a high primer which drags on the bolt face, slowing or stopping feeding. But high primers in autoloaders are also known to cause slam fires on a partially open breech. Not a good thing.[/QUOTE
High primers in a revolver. Usually caused by very light loads that do not set the case back onto the primer. Upon firing, the primer is partially pushed out of the case by pressure - the same pressure which expands the case against the chamber walls. As that pressure drops (bullet exiting the barrel), the case then pulls free of the chamber walls, but is set back against the breech face by residual pressure which re-seats the spent primer. With a very light, i.e. target load, the case may not be pushed all the way back, so the primers may protrude from the case head and drag on the breech face or recoil shield.

In a semi-auto, it could be a high primer which drags on the bolt face, slowing or stopping feeding. But high primers in autoloaders are also known to cause slam fires on a partially open breech. Not a good thing.

Great Explanation

Every gun manufacturer is under the same pressure of every other manufacturer: time to market with marketable products.

Sig has created a handgun that is high performance and a step forward. You might quivel over the round count in the package but it's truly an improved handgun with this round count in the same footprint. This is similar to what wonder 9s did.

With such a marketable idea, Sig will need to hit the market hard and quickly to appease shareholders. The people that own the company. That means kinks will come with the design that need to be worked out. This applies to manufacturers like Glock, Sig, Ruger, and Smith. To imply Sig is like Taurus at this point is ridiculous.

How about those exploding Glock 22s? What about the recoil springs and corrosion of gen 4s? Not to pick on Glock, but this seems like the only language you understand. Glock has some questionable choices at this point by your logic as well. Glock is like Taurus at this point?

Broken firing pins?
One thing that can cause that is not having a strong enough recoil spring and or firing pin spring which causes the barrel to unlock and start moving back before the firing pin spring can pull the firing pin back into the slide.

If it is a problem for you, you can replace both of those springs and on some firearms you can also add a titanium firing pin which is lighter and moves back a little quicker.

Having that issue with your firearm can also lead to a broken firing pin.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top