JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all i have 10 rifels from 308 to ar-15 but i don't have a hand gun i just receved my CONCEALED HANDGUN LICENSE there for i would like your thoughts on what i shouild use the main purpose for the license is for security and when i go hiking camping so on we have a lot of bears and cougers here. thank you

Anything mainstream and you can't go wrong. I like Glock, Kel-Tec, and Kahr because they all have a similar placement of the controls. I've had guns with safeties in the past and found my thumb naturally looking for the safety on my glock. I have a Kahr cw45 that I have NOT been able to leave at home since I got it. It's smaller than my glock 23 (40 cal) and it's a .45.

Flawless advice: Buy the biggest gun you'll carry everywhere, everyday. If it's not on you it's worthless.

Try before you buy or you will be buying another - once you find you don't like it.

Most indoor gun ranges rent guns.

Or go shooting with a friend that has a gun you are interested in.

Wait...forget what I just said...you're going to be like the rest of us and buy several anyway! :)

Ruger "Security Six" .357 Magnum with the 2.5" barrel. Indestructible, accurate, will last a lifetime and reasonably priced. Practice with .38 Specials for lower ammo costs and carry with the Magnums for protection.

I went through the decision process a while back for me and my wife.

First if you are really talking self defense - Then from a reliability standpoint - a revolver that you can carry all the time.
A police friend of mine uses a 22LR revolver. - Light, cheap to practice with

To me this was a smaller revolver - NOt much to malfunction.
I used a S&W 38 special - Because I inherited it. Nice and small- fits in pack and carries well in IWB. Good for general and hiking/fishing.

However, My wife went with .380 S&W - I believ it is a Body Guard. Because she could handle it. She liekd the laser OPtion.

I also have 40 cal S&W that I use if the occasion fits. Love to shoot.
I think many would like the 45 caliber. BUt both are heavy for the average person

Try carrying one for a while. How does the carry and wear?
My 40 cal carries well - but may be on the edge for everyday carry.
So I like the 38 special

I do like the glocks Glock 23 Gen4 i thought i might take a look at it in your opinion do the glocks hold up realy well in wet location from water to extreme heat i would like some thing that i could conceal on my ankle or under my shirt .

Lots of very good choices.
I sweat a lot and have gotten some rust on the pins in the frame of my Gen 4 G22. The Glock is so easy to completely disassemble I can tear it down and with a simple punch, push out those pins and insure they are cleaned on a regular basis. I am no expert so the simplicity of the Glock makes it right for me. No experience with ankle carry but a real gun belt, good IWB holster, some training and your good to go. Good luck,
Mike

Clearly you need a desert eagle in .50 or a .600 nitro express magnum!
Us telling a list of concealed pistols has been hashed over endlessly in other threads, and doesn't truly benefit you..

There is one and only one way for you to be happy, BE that annoying guy that asks to see every pistol at the gun shop or booth at the gun show, and ask questions about them. Lay out what you want and see what the options are in person. Comfort and security are hand in hand with your individual fit.
After you drive one gun shop nuts, go to the next and do it again.

Who cares what people on here think is cool, popular, tacticool, or the gnarliest of gnarly davidsons - go see what works for YOU in person.

I would rule out the smaller caliber handguns like the 22, 380, 9mm, 40 cal, ect, ect. After all, as stated in your post, your
Looking for something big enough for a bear.

OR4x4 Is right - you have to find the gun that feels good to you and meets your needs

But as you look at pistols - You need to decided if you are really looking for a daily
Self Defense pistol that you will have to carry concealed on your body

or

you are more focused on a larger caliber for bear., backwoods

To me it sounds like two different purposes and guns

I would say a snub nose 357mag or 44mag or a Glock 29 (compact 10mm).

I'm in bear country all the time and carry a Glock 20 (full size 10mm) but I have smaller handguns to carry in town.

There is no one handgun that will do all competently. You will have to find what works for your thru trial and error. Can't expect a good carry gun (light and very concealable) to do competently against, say, black bear. You either compromise and get one gun that does all from acceptable to mediocre, or buy a gun for each task. I'd suggest you prioritize your list, and separate your needs from your wants.

Except for a few notable exceptions, handguns are not very powerful, barely good enough to stop the two-legged predator, and not necessarily humanely. Plus, SD requires training and practice. Practice requires a place to shoot regularly and lotsa ammo.

For instance, my carry gun today is a J-frame or similar. Will try that for about a year and maybe try a P238 or Solo. I find myself carrying my 13oz unloaded J-frame in an OWB holster a hole lot more than my previous compact 27oz CC pistol in a IWB holster.

Ankle carry is not very effective for a number of reasons. You should google them up. IMO, it is ok for a BUG and if the BUG is very small and light. But this thread is about a primary carry gun.

For bear country I'd take a 44Magnum at a minimum, and many would contest it is not good enough. I've heard of 44 bullets bouncing off bear skulls (myth?). I am not an expert but my philosophy is similar to self SD: carry the biggest gun you can carry as much and as long as possible. If shooting a charging bear, I am not too concerned about being humane. I more concerned about placing many shots quickly and shot placement.

But, if you find the task daunting, can't go wrong with either a Glock19 or a SW686-Plus. But either (especially the SW) may be a bit too big for every-day carry duty.

Like others have said, try a lot and see what you like. When you're in bear country the best defense you have resides between your ears. However I prefer to turn them into swiss cheese if necessary. IMO 10mm or 357mag would be good choices since you can either get conversion barrels for 40S&W or shoot 38spl. If we were in brown bear country my tune would be different. In that case I carry a pistol grip pump loaded with brenneke black magic magnums. Remember that shot placement is king in this matter.

civ75 my guide friends back home carry at least a 44mag and they agree it isn't "enough" (I'd take a 50bmg if I could, that might be enough). 45/70 in a marlin guide gun or my slug setup are more popular among people that really need it. If you want more info on bears and guns check out AK outdoor forums. Those guys are better than any other place I've found (especially since I know some of the personally), they throw out mall ninjas and don't take bubblegum.

Clearly you need a desert eagle in .50 or a .600 nitro express magnum!
Us telling a list of concealed pistols has been hashed over endlessly in other threads, and doesn't truly benefit you..

There is one and only one way for you to be happy, BE that annoying guy that asks to see every pistol at the gun shop or booth at the gun show, and ask questions about them. Lay out what you want and see what the options are in person. Comfort and security are hand in hand with your individual fit.
After you drive one gun shop nuts, go to the next and do it again.

Who cares what people on here think is cool, popular, tacticool, or the gnarliest of gnarly davidsons - go see what works for YOU in person.

+1 on this post! You will be the only one that can figure it out. Different people like different guns and have bias toward specific models that may not be for you. I prefer the 1911 and cannot stand Glocks only because most of them are not comfortable for me, but they are still great weapons, if you are comfortable with them. After you find a couple that you like, make sure you do your research on reliability. Many models are less than reliable or accurate even from a well known maker. At any rate, good luck!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top