Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

What is Microstamping and will it work?

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by jjackffrost, Feb 1, 2014.

1. jjackffrost

jjackffrost central oregon Active Member

Wouldn't it be a great idea if whenever a bad guy fires a weapon it put his ID on it. How would this help with a revolver ?

2. 1337BaldEagle

1337BaldEagle Earth Active Member

How would it help with any gun? What happens if I buy a brass catcher for any of my firearms? Are we gong to try and make those illegal too? Do you know how much brass is left freely at a gun range where other people can simply just pick up a casing? Micro stamping is bullbubblegum. It does noting but makes Californians "feel good" that they have done something.

Taku and (deleted member) like this.
  3. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

Lmao.. That and they'll (the criminals) just develop better pistol brass catchers. Or theyll switch over to revolvers.
    Its a laughable push for more control.

4. RicInOR

RicInOR Washington County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Please show us one, just one, case where this is working in a commercial product.

It becomes a registration.

5. bnsaibum

bnsaibum Corvallis, OR Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer

That would be great. How is microstamping going to achieve that? It would require the number from the firing pin/striker to be registered to the bad guy. I'm no genius, but it seems to me that a bad guy could avoid that by 1) having a stolen firearm or one that is otherwise not registered to him (straw buyer, firearm purchased with false ID) or 2) replacing the firing pin or sanding it down to obscure or remove the numbers, both of which would be relatively easy and cheap to do. It would not help with a revolver and CA has exempted revolvers from their scheme for this reason.

6. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

This. A little treatment with sandpaper can also render microstamping useless.

7. Dunerunner

Dunerunner You'll Never Know Well-Known Member

Scoop everyone's brass at the range and dispense it at the crime scene!!

Taku, Rotty, OLDNEWBIE and 3 others like this.
  8. billdeserthills

billdeserthills Cave Creek, Arizony Well-Known Member

How can this work when 90+% of gun-toting criminals steal the gun they used to commit their crime?
    This can only lead to more folks being found guilty of not locking up their guns in a strong enough box

9. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Micro stamping has one BIG problem

the 350million firearms in this country that don't have it.........................

10. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

No it wouldn't. What it will do is make it easy for a criminal to pick up a piece of your brass and nail you with a crime by leaving it at the scene of his crime.

11. bnsaibum

I disagree. As a pie in the sky question it would be great if the gun (magically) put the bad guy's ID on it.

Aside from wishful thinking it is so close to being completely unrealistic that it might as well be an absolute. So many conditions would have to be present for it to work that it would be as statistically likely to be successful as one of us winning the mega millions jackpot. It should NEVER be mandated.

12. bnsaibum

13. U201491

They mandated it kalifornicatia.
    That's why the manufactures put the state on a no sell list !

14. U201491

That site is pretty much full of horse crap.
    There is no way to impliment it cost effectively or size effectively.
    They know that and it is how they plan to ban guns.
    Every gun already leaves its unique marks on a cartridge now.

15. bellarum

bellarum beaverton Well-Known Member

I already mark the bottom of my brass with a "unique sharpie" I can tell what's mine when we sort our brass:thumbup: (I actually color code my rifle brass to keep track of how many times it was reloaded.)

16. timac

timac Loading Magazines! Well-Known Member

Many have posted the flaws with micro stamping. It's only purpose, make it to expensive for the manufacturer. Either they'll quite making all firearms or they'll be available only to select people.

17. rufus

rufus State of Jefferson Well-Known Member

Microstamping is nothing more than a scheme the tyrants came up with to subvert the 2nd amendment, plain and simple. Might as well require all firearms be lighter-than-air and include a tether so we don't pollute the stratosphere with all those guns that might get away. All lighter-than-air guns are allowed, therefore our 2nd amendment rights remain intact. Tada, gun problem solved.

18. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

How is a "bad guy" ID going to get on a gun?

The ONLY thing that micro stamping would do, IF it worked as planned is show what gun the brass was fired from..............

19. simon99

simon99 Central Oregon Well-Known Member

Despite the media spin on micro stamping the fact remains......there already is "microstamping" in a sense. Its called ballistics fingerprinting which has been used by law enforcement for a long time.

This microstamping baloney is just a way to either get rid of guns through registration or simply make it too expensive to manufacture them.

20. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

Microstamping is when liberals want to appear doing something and stamp their Birkenstocks while pouting.. and no, it doesn't work.