JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Were I to sell...anything, I wouldn't ship either for all the obvious reasons i.e. way to much bother, lack of trust, nor would I ask for upfront payment as that's asking too much of the buyer.

On another question: Why on earth would anyone sell something very low dollar like 10 or 20, yet I see it here all the time.

Or, is selling low dollar items some kinda odd hobby related to yard/garage sales?

Were I to sell...anything, I wouldn't ship either for all the obvious reasons i.e. way to much bother, lack of trust, nor would I ask for upfront payment as that's asking too much of the buyer.

On another question: Why on earth would anyone sell something very low dollar like 10 or 20, yet I see it here all the time.

Or, is selling low dollar items some kinda odd hobby related to yard/garage sales?

This ^^

But I don't start threads about any of those issues. I just privately wonder why people bother?

Buying a single box of ammo for $20-$40 isn't worth it for me unless I happen to be interfacing with the person for something else. I just ordered $800 worth of .308 ammo online.

Been stolen from to many times shipping stuff. Paypal is a serious no-go for me because of the problems also. Buyer reported to Paypal the item I shipped him never arrived (which it had according to UPS), Paypal took the money directly from my bank account, and locked my Paypal account (with a substantial amount of money in it). Quite the hassle, and just ain't worth it to me. After a few other problems, it is FTF, or no deal. Opening up my "market" is not worth the BS. Been there, done that, got the T-Shirt, and burned it an LONG time ago.
And it ain't about being "old school", and not understanding technology. I understand it very well, and use it when it suits me. I have yet to meet someone where they did not show for a deal, but then I don't go much out of my normal route for a deal either.
Just because someone does not do something the way you think they should, does not mean they are an idiot, or even wrong. If someone does not want to ship something to you, move on and get over it. there will be other deals out there. If you really wanted it that bad, you would have taken time out of your day to meet with them. If you are not willing to do that, why berate them for not doing something they don't want to do either.

I'm less willing to ship due to USPS, UPS, and FedEx service being terrible during the past few months. I've had two UPS priority mail packages vanish, and I'm still out the value of the items, the postage, plus I had to refund the purchaser. My local post office which is actually across the street from my residence refuses to scan packages and has big signs directing customers to deposit prepaid packages to a bin on the back loading dock, from there it takes on average three days for a priority mail package to make it Portland where it gets scanned for the first time. It the package vanishes before the first scan, its my word against the post office. I've waited through the line to drop off packages at the counter and they still refused to scan them.

The USPS has devolved to something from a third world nation. They won't even deliver my mail across the street with regularity, I frequently have to walk over and ask for it. If I call Wyden's office and complain the will reach out and get the post office to deliver mail for a few weeks then they stop again. Last year I went 18 weeks with no mail delivery, finally I called Wyden's office often enough for them to make an issue of it, turned out the carrier for my route hat been reassigned and no new carrier was assigned the route.

I have a FedEx account, it used to be simple to drop off packages, but not anymore. Standing in line outside FedEx waiting my turn to get inside is not how I want to spend my time. I've also tried having them pick up packages from my residence but this proves problematic as I'm stuck at home waiting for them to eventually show up, plus there is usually an additional fee. FedEx has gotten very slow during the "pandemic" I've had multiple items I've ordered sit in Troutdale for 5-7 days before the trailer is unloaded and package is sent out fore delivery.

I refuse to deal with UPS.

Why... Well IMO people are busy, some are lazy, or it's just not worth the extra effort, whatever and shipping firearms can be a PITA in many ways. Just try to get thru a post office line during your lunch hour to ship a long gun. Ship ammo or handguns must go to UPS, FedEx (it's expensive, will the buyer pay for shipping and my time?), or handgun can be shipped via FFL. Many casual sellers have no idea how to ship a firearm and what the regs are... the info is not hard to find on the interwebs, but again, it requires more effort.

When sellers don't want to ship, I just move on. Cuz I don't live near any of the big cities where most sellers live. It's okay. Life goes on...

Lol, "social media sheep thing", yet here you are posting in an online forum.
Yep a gun forum with like minded people. I dont do nicnak facesmash twatter i dont care about followers or fake friends ive built what i have on hand shakes and my word.

If its someone I've known for a while, its one thing. But, for someone I haven't met, its face to face, look the goods over, exchange cash, a handshake, and its done. No questions, no complications.

Why limit yourself to potential buyers within close proximity? Who do you think is going to drive an extended distance to pick up an item to save a few dollars over retail? Is it really that difficult in today's day and age to accept electronic payment (or heaven forbid a PMO or check in the mail) and box an item up and drop it off at the Post Office? Makes absolutely no sense to me, but what do I know.
The seller decides.
Many considerations as noted above.

Saw something you wanted but seller wouldn't ship, eh ?
It happens.

BB,

You sell small dollar stuff doncha...

I used to sell a lot of small $ items (under $500) on Ebay (stuff like my scuba equip I could no longer use), and larger items like cars and travel trailers on Craigslist and RVtrader, Autotrader, etc. $10 items not worth the trouble. Maybe $20 tho. I don't understand all the small item sellers on Ebay... batteries for $1, LEDs for $2, flashlights for $4, etc, unless they have a huge warehouse full of stuff they stole and a crew to pick it and ship it... still, the shipping is worth more than the item. And I won't buy unless it's free shipping. I hate seeing a $9 item for sale and a $22 cost of shipping!!!

I've boughten firearms here, but never been a seller here.

Since Universal Background Check passed, I have given guns to relatives rather than sell them to somebody. It's just not worth all the hassle. I recently gave one of my two ARs to my SIL who was visiting again from Ark. Just 2 months ago I gave him my .45ACP (the second one I've given him). And I let him know that one of his two sons will be getting my Ruger 77 .308 when he turns 16 (I already gave the oldest son one of my Mossberg 500s), and his daughter will be getting my Glock 34.

Last Edited:
I ask routinely, but then I send payment immediately too. But let's be honest, I am mostly buying little things or brass right now. And I have bought quite a bit on here.

bbbass,

Wow, I'm in awe.

I've only given away 2 guns and a 150 rounds of fmj range rounds.

I'm gonna have to up my gun give away game, though in the last 2 years anticipating my (at any moment) demise, I've also given away a ton of other stuff to my Daughter and Granddaughter's, including a small fortune in cash, so there's that.

But, the arsenal I keep in every room...stays in every room until I croak as I don't believe in premature exiting due to home invasion and related intervention of my remaining topside...like so-called protest turds blocking my way when driving, though to be sure they're not in my part of the world, but tomorrow that could change...though I doubt it.

Think a scammer might ask: "What-is-it-with-people-not-being-willing"-to-except ads in the-classifieds"?

Aw, ok, I'll be your huckleberry cuz you seem lika nice guy, so sure, I'll bend over...

I've shipped a couple of things.
But it was money up front (checks - waited for them to clear) and then shipped. Certified and insured only. ($$) Their cost.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top