JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was always taught that you had the most to fear from those that had the least to lose.
The way things are shaping up economically, there are ever increasing numbers of people with less and less to lose.
As the last vestige the economy succumbs to total collapse, there will be thousands with nothing to lose created overnight. I believe those in power, and their lapdogs in the press are dampening the issue, with the intent of making it seem more gradual, and less imminent, when they know we are already past the tipping point.
If martial law becomes reality, it will be for this reason, to stop the roving gangs of hungry, and those that seek to be the "big frog in the little pond" that is their neighborhood.
Many will applaud this action, touting "law and order," "social justice" and "helping those less fortunate."
At that point, keep your head down and proceed cautiously and quietly toward your practice of self sufficiency. But realize you will have to do so under the guise of being as destitute as those around you. If you're never at the neighborhood help center, and driving your car daily as most others walk, you will make a target of yourself.
IOW, if you choose to "bug in," you may have to participate in some form of the "new world order" to keep up the appearance of similar dependency and prevent the masses and the police from turning against you.
Remember there are those that will hate you and want your property taken away from you, by hook or crook, based on their perception of inequity.

I am reminded of a scene from Dr. Zhivago (the original) when his neighbors reacted gleefully about the secret police taking the Doctor's books away for burning, because it wasn't "fair" that he should have these luxuries, when others didn't.
Totalitarian Marxism/communism is about the lowest common denominator, as enforced by the police state. Law and order may be the word of the day, but it will probably work against you. Civil/god-given/human rights rarely survive military actions.
Be careful what you wish for when the topic of military intervention is broached with regard to illegal immigration for instance. "Jack-booted thugs" will be looking for threats, real or perceived, and may regard your thirst for independence as such. So may those they are in pursuit of.

This is what I am trying to prepare for. The ability to stay "under the radar" of the totalitarian conditions that those with the least to lose bring about, and the actions of those privateers that will try to take away my resources on their own. Even if they are meager by many people's standards.

For those that have the resources to store and transport fuel, don't discount bugging out, as most won't have the resources to follow you, but bugging out will involve heading for places further from cities than most people think. If you think you can do it close to a population center, remember that others may believe it's worth it to expend resources to harass you out of your provisions.
Those within the gov structure, and/or those of the lawless.
I believe it offers a greater degree of freedom, but only in places more remote (and maybe desolate) than most are willing to endure.

Sorry for the book, but you asked!

Sorry for the book, but you asked!

If you wrote one i'd probably read it.

In a simplistic form, the best idea is to be, simply, "under the radar."
One way or another, either you reach a point of self-sufficient and own a property that sustain you and your family for generations, which isn't all that bad to have, or are forced to become self-sufficient, trying to not end up being a member of the starving, angry masses is just, a good idea. economic failure, zombie invasion, Red invasion, ..Blue invasion, one of these is 100% likely to occur at some point within most of our lifetimes.
Starve, or survive. it sounds stupid, but it's as basic as that. go back 200 years, didn't prepare for the winter? you died, or were close to it. We all just want to.. "prepare for winter."

I don't have extremely lofty goals.

Since 95% of people in the US don't even have week's supply of food or water nor can 40% survive past their next paycheck it is easy to be way above the curve with very minimal prep effort.

My hope is to make it to my grave without seeing our phony house of cards money-print + war economy imploding into dust.

The little kid in the first Terminator movie who is underground clubbing a rat for dinner comes to mind as one possible future scenario.

I was on a 'date' about 15 years ago and the women, testing for 1040 info, was asking 'where do you see yourself in 10, or 20 years?'

My reply - "Probably clubbing a rat for dinner." Needless to say there was no second date :0.

Civic decay, global disorder and debt. The Fourth Turning prophecy is starting to sound more like NOW! Strauss and Howe looks to have hit the nail on the head with their research into history. If anyone hasn't read this book yet, please do. I have no dog in the fight besides wanting to get through the next several years.

LOLOLOL Burt!
I was on a 'date' about 15 years ago and the women, testing for 1040 info, was asking 'where do you see yourself in 10, or 20 years?' My reply - "Probably clubbing a rat for dinner." Needless to say there was no second date :0.

My answer to the "What is it that you are preparing to survive???" question: Everything.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top