JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm moving to Louisiana in about three weeks. Rural 23 Acres and a home on a big lake. I guess that the city life was fun, but it's time to head back home to be with family for some good times. I don't like the idea of being stuck around Portland when the lights go dim and the food runs out. Also, I plan on having a sizable garden (I have a tractor) and some chickens. I always told my wife that i would take care of her and my daughter no matter what...I recently realized that I just can't keep that promise here in Oregon. We'll be okay and she's happy.

What is it that you are preparing to survive???

I am preparing for me and my family to survive if we loose the ability to get water from the tap, electricity from the outlets, food from the stores, help from a Doctor, help from the Police and help from the Firemen.

Anything can happen. We Americans have for the most part become dependent on other people doing things for us. We have alot of stuff that makes living much easier here in America. We have forgot how to survive...live with out all this stuff.

I am learning and figuring out how me and my family might have to live without all the easy living in America. I am teaching my wife and children what I learn so if they loose their services and easiness of living they will survive. And be confident in knowing how to.

Other people will not always be there to help you.

No, EMP is a real threat to the US and if you are not aware of it, you are the one in the dark.

Can someone outline the 'EMP attack' scenario? Who is the assumed attacker? What is the goal?

I've never been able to make sense of this fear. If it's the Chinese attacking us with EMP, then it's a world war scenario, and EMP is the least of your worries.

If it's some terrorist group, an EMP via an airburst nuke is (a) unlikely and (b) less PR than just setting off a nuke at ground level.

I am not concerned with man-made EMP as I agree that it is drastically overstated with the actual impact it would have it happened. What I am concerned about EMP from the sun. While I think there is only a slightly higher chance of it happening than a meteor hitting the earth and causing wide-spread devastation, if it did happen the results would be catastrophic.

At a minimum, we should at least be able to bug out in the back yard, or a park for a few days in the event of earthquake, tornado, etc.

Of course, some of us are thinking about much more persistent possibilities, like economic collapse, Planet X, Zimbabwe-like hyperinflation, oil shortages or earthquake-induced road damage that stop trucks from reaching the markets, martial law, or those pesky zombies. I'd like to be able to hole up in my place for a few months, at least.

Long slow drawn out economic collapse punctuated by small, short lived rebounds. Driven by less available energy every year (not enough coal & oil to create a non-fossil fuel energy infrastructure producing at current levels of energy consumption.)

Basically human civilization has acted out what biologists call "overshoot-and-collapse:" too many people eat up the resources and there is a massive die-off and a permanent decrease in the ability of the environment to provide said resources.

That downward slide will be ugly (genocide, mass rape, starvation, war, domestic fascism, local warlords.) Whoever is left standing will shape the new human culture.

EMP is highly likely. Especially to knock out launched ICBMs. Nukes are impractical and counterproductive in a resource war (colonization war for the Chinese, but they could just send 100million to colonize with small arms). Also EMP will lead to the people fighting each other for survival put up less resistance to deployment of troops/extr of resources.

natural disaster of some sort is what I prepare for, with only 3 to 7 days of food in the local markets it only makes sense to have some stock on hand. In the event supply lines break down I won't have to worrry. No, I won't be heading for the hills. Well armed but not obviously so, low key out of sight, "that quiet old guy down the street", stay at home and ride it out.

Trying to survive religious fanatics,

Of course you mean Muslim terrorist fanatics. You couldn't possibly mean your friendly Christian or Mormon neighbors, could you? I mean the ones who would help you if the SHTF? :)

political whack-jobs,

Yeah, I'm afraid of Obama too.
:)

propaganda lies,

Just stop listening to the White House talking heads.

monopoly pricing,

I see prices dropping. We are in a deflation cycle right now - temporarily. Even the huge chains are dropping prices.

and my job moving to China.

Then vote out every single bistard in DC. Sounds like you should align yourself with the Tea Party.
:D

Not so bad really, at least I'm not being beaten down and starved like a Palestinian.

Oh those poor Palestinians. Israel stupidly let those nomads move onto land which Israel still owns, and then the Palestinians started lobbing thousands of rockets into Israel. Of course Israel is supposed to just turn the other cheek, right? :(

There has never been a nation of Palestine - never. They were always nomads without land (and originally and correctly called the Philistines), and now Israel is stuck with them on Israel's own land - the dumbest thing Israel ever did.

as I heard on Coast-to-Coast AM with George Noory (actually, it may have been an Art Bell show) - there have long been rival alien reptilian species living in great caverns underground here on earth. One is benevolent, the other has mal-intent to take us over. Of course they are in cahoots with the governments of the world. Some of our world leaders are actually some of them morphed to look human. So when they decide to implement their takeover plans and come above ground - I'll be ready.. :s0131:

as I heard on Coast-to-Coast AM with George Noory (actually, it may have been an Art Bell show) - there have long been rival alien reptilian species living in great caverns underground here on earth. One is benevolent, the other has mal-intent to take us over. Of course they are in cahoots with the governments of the world. Some of our world leaders are actually some of them morphed to look human. So when they decide to implement their takeover plans and come above ground - I'll be ready.. :s0131:

Algore is living underground? :s0114:

My survival goals?

*Earthquake
*Volcano
*Potential Economic Collapse

After that... we'll see...

EMP? Please... many scientists have disproved the doomsday scenarios. (Links saved at home, don't have them here at work)

My survival goals?

*Earthquake
*Volcano
*Potential Economic Collapse

After that... we'll see...

EMP? Please... many scientists have disproved the doomsday scenarios. (Links saved at home, don't have them here at work)
Pretty bold statement. Please back this up a credible link.

Pretty bold statement. Please back this up a credible link.

I'll try to find the link when I get home - it came from a .mil site if I remember right.

It basically said that the only type of EMP that would cause large scale destruction is a Nuclear High Altitude EMP... and the number of countries that have the nukes + delivery system is pretty small... basically our pals Russia and China... it comes back to MAD - Mutually Assured Destruction. Our nuclear stockpile could handle an EMP, so our assets would be launched and would cause massive destruction to the enemy as well....

Small forces, terrorist forces, etc - the EMPs they could make don't have the range to take out more than a small battlefield.

Oh those poor Palestinians. Israel stupidly let those nomads move onto land which Israel still owns, and then the Palestinians started lobbing thousands of rockets into Israel. Of course Israel is supposed to just turn the other cheek, right? :(

There has never been a nation of Palestine - never. They were always nomads without land (and originally and correctly called the Philistines), and now Israel is stuck with them on Israel's own land - the dumbest thing Israel ever did.

You are plumb full of Israeli propaganda revisionist history. You really ought to read a little outside of Bible fairy tales---even in the Bible the Jews were invaders who kicked out the residents of the land because the Jews were crueler fighters. Ask yourself, why are they called PALESTINIANS if Palestine was not their home?

There were plenty of non-Jews resident in the old Kingdom of David. The Greeks and Romans ruled that land next, the Province of Palestine, and when the Jewish king of that province Palestine ("Israel") rebelled, most Jews had to flee or die under the Roman heel. Rome finally collapsed, and for fifteen hundred or more years the Jews were a tiny minority in Palestine, which thrived and developed in peace under a succession of Muslim empires. They were allowed to live in peace by the Muslim Caliphs, as both religions were rooted in the House of Abraham.

England beat the Ottoman Empire in WWI, and after tireless Jewish political campaigning issued the Balfour Decision in 1919 saying that Jews from all over the world could have Palestine, and all Palestinians should move to Jordan. Nobody got the Palestinians permission for that edict, and certainly very few moved out of their ancestral homes, farms, and orchards because of the edict of a distant British Empire that had no legitimacy over them besides a military occupation.

Until WWII the British facilitated the migration of thousands of Jews into Palestine, mostly peacefully, as there was room for them and they bought their properties. After WWII the migration became tens of thousands, and it was not peaceful---the Jews became the terrorists who drove Palestinians off of their land, killing those who would not flee. Palestinians fought back, but they could not match the military backing of the British, or the crushing amounts of MONEY that the Jews brought with them. The Jews of course claimed that the Palestinians were barbarous terrorists and deserved no mercy. They claimed that they came to a desert, yet all around them were waterworks and orchards that were hundreds of years old, NOT built by "nomads" but by the residents of that land for more than fifteen hundred years: the Palestinians.

I do not only have dry history to speak of. Decades ago I knew an old man, a Palestinian immigrant to the USA who carried in his pocket a key. This was the door key to his ancestral extended-family home in Palestine. The last time that he opened that door a mob of armed Jewish thugs came in to beat everyone and give them fifteen minutes to pack and get out of Palestine. He filed all proper legal papers for redress and compensation over the years, and got nothing. Nobody knew he still kept the key as a reiminder that his family had lived there for a thousand years before the "Israelis" came to steal his land and property and drive his people into exile and refugee camps.

"History is written by the winners" is an old saying. History is also written by the owners of the media empires and entertainment industry. Most Americans have been spoon-fed a very slanted view of the Palestinian history.......................elsullo :cool:

Can someone outline the 'EMP attack' scenario? Who is the assumed attacker? What is the goal?

I've never been able to make sense of this fear. If it's the Chinese attacking us with EMP, then it's a world war scenario, and EMP is the least of your worries.

If it's some terrorist group, an EMP via an airburst nuke is (a) unlikely and (b) less PR than just setting off a nuke at ground level.

Could also be a "natural" EMP...

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2010/04jun_swef/

Ask yourself, why are they called PALESTINIANS

Easy. The Romans mispronounced the name Philistine as Palestine about 2,000 years ago and it stuck.

if Palestine was not their home?

Where was this "home" of Palestine, or Philistines, for that matter?

Rome finally collapsed, and for fifteen hundred or more years the Jews were a tiny minority in Palestine

Where was this "Palestine?"

which thrived and developed in peace under a succession of Muslim empires.

Muslims go back only about 1400 years. Israel goes back thousands of years.

...as both religions were rooted in the House of Abraham.

So the Muslims - relative newcomers to the scene - claim. Israel, nee Jacob, can be historically traced to Abraham. The Muslims can't.

England beat the Ottoman Empire in WWI, and after tireless Jewish political campaigning issued the Balfour Decision in 1919 saying that Jews from all over the world could have Palestine, and all Palestinians should move to Jordan. Nobody got the Palestinians permission for that edict, and certainly very few moved out of their ancestral homes, farms, and orchards because of the edict of a distant British Empire that had no legitimacy over them besides a military occupation.

Pure propaganda. There never was a nation of Palestine.

Until WWII the British facilitated the migration of thousands of Jews into Palestine, mostly peacefully, as there was room for them and they bought their properties. After WWII the migration became tens of thousands, and it was not peaceful---the Jews became the terrorists who drove Palestinians off of their land, killing those who would not flee. Palestinians fought back, but they could not match the military backing of the British, or the crushing amounts of MONEY that the Jews brought with them. The Jews of course claimed that the Palestinians were barbarous terrorists and deserved no mercy. They claimed that they came to a desert, yet all around them were waterworks and orchards that were hundreds of years old, NOT built by "nomads" but by the residents of that land for more than fifteen hundred years: the Palestinians.

No, after WWII the United Nations ruled that the land belonged to Israel and allowed the Israelis to repatriate. That included the Gaza Strip. Man, do you have your history screwed up.

I do not only have dry history to speak of. Decades ago I knew an old man, a Palestinian immigrant to the USA who carried in his pocket a key. This was the door key to his ancestral extended-family home in Palestine. The last time that he opened that door a mob of armed Jewish thugs came in to beat everyone and give them fifteen minutes to pack and get out of Palestine.

There never was a Palestine.

He filed all proper legal papers for redress and compensation over the years, and got nothing. Nobody knew he still kept the key as a reiminder that his family had lived there for a thousand years before the "Israelis" came to steal his land and property and drive his people into exile and refugee camps.

He and you have the facts screwed up.

"History is written by the winners" is an old saying. History is also written by the owners of the media empires and entertainment industry. Most Americans have been spoon-fed a very slanted view of the Palestinian history.......................elsullo :cool:

So why are you ignoring the clear fact that Israel got its historical land back after WWII by UN edict, and that the people who choose to call themselves Palestinians didn't occupy the land at that time?

The "Palestinians" NEVER declared themselves a nation until 1988 in Algiers!!! This was done by the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO) which is the worst of the worst, but which I'm sure you support wholeheartedly.
:s0155:

So why are you ignoring the clear fact that Israel got its historical land back after WWII by UN edict, and that the people who choose to call themselves Palestinians didn't occupy the land at that time?

The "Palestinians" NEVER declared themselves a nation until 1988 in Algiers!!! This was done by the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO) which is the worst of the worst, but which I'm sure you support wholeheartedly.
:s0155:

I skipped over a lot of history, but I am basically correct. You are deluded; when the Zionists came Palestine was already full of people who had been there for thousands of years, and they had no voice in the UN. The fact is that "Israel" was wiped out by the Romans in, what, the Second Century? The non-Jewish PEOPLE remained and prospered right where they were, in the Province of Palestine, with roughly the same borders as the current Israel but including some of Jordan. A small minority of Jews survived there, but Israel was extinct. Yes, there never was a "nation" of Palestine. It was always a province of some larger empire, and finally a military "protectorate" of the British Empire. There also had not been a "nation" of Israel for some eighteen centuries. It was GONE, except in the imagination of Zionists.

So, who gave the United Nations any right to push the Palestinian people off of their land, so foreigners from all over the world could move in and take it? The Palestinains were not represented at the UN. The so-called "Israelis" were there at the weak and fledgeling UN by military conquest and backed by the British, and got their "edict" by political muscle from the USA and Britain, who wanted the European Jews to just go somewhere out of their hair. There was a collective sense of guilt over the horrors that the Jews got from the Nazis, and a recognition that the Jews needed to get out of ruined Europe to hopefully rebuild their heritage. The residents of Palestine were the sacrificial lambs in this scheme to heal the wounds of WWII. The Jews never tried to build a secular state to live side-by-side with the existing residents of Palestine. They chose to drive most of them out and create a new Jewish nation of Israel which largely excluded the original residents.

It's interesting that you bring up the Phillistines. These were the original residents of the land that the historical Jews took by conquest when they fled Egypt thousands of years ago. Maybe some of the Palestinians should file a claim with the UN to get THEIR "historical" Phillistine lands back? So what if other people have been living there for thousands of years in the meantime? Oh, yeah, the nation of the historical Philistines is extinct. Just like the nation of the historical Israelis. Extinct. Meanwhile, only sixty-six years ago millions of Palestinians were forced off of their land so "Israelis" could move in---and they won't forget it. They KNOW the real history.........................elsullo :cool:

People envy the Jews because they believe in educating thier children and working hard. A lot of people would rather hate them than do like them.

I skipped over a lot of history, but I am basically correct. You are deluded; when the Zionists came Palestine was already full of people who had been there for thousands of years, and they had no voice in the UN. The fact is that "Israel" was wiped out by the Romans in, what, the Second Century? The non-Jewish PEOPLE remained and prospered right where they were, in the Province of Palestine, with roughly the same borders as the current Israel but including some of Jordan. A small minority of Jews survived there, but Israel was extinct. Yes, there never was a "nation" of Palestine. It was always a province of some larger empire, and finally a military "protectorate" of the British Empire. There also had not been a "nation" of Israel for some eighteen centuries. It was GONE, except in the imagination of Zionists.

So, who gave the United Nations any right to push the Palestinian people off of their land, so foreigners from all over the world could move in and take it? The Palestinains were not represented at the UN. The so-called "Israelis" were there at the weak and fledgeling UN by military conquest and backed by the British, and got their "edict" by political muscle from the USA and Britain, who wanted the European Jews to just go somewhere out of their hair. There was a collective sense of guilt over the horrors that the Jews got from the Nazis, and a recognition that the Jews needed to get out of ruined Europe to hopefully rebuild their heritage. The residents of Palestine were the sacrificial lambs in this scheme to heal the wounds of WWII. The Jews never tried to build a secular state to live side-by-side with the existing residents of Palestine. They chose to drive most of them out and create a new Jewish nation of Israel which largely excluded the original residents.

It's interesting that you bring up the Phillistines. These were the original residents of the land that the historical Jews took by conquest when they fled Egypt thousands of years ago. Maybe some of the Palestinians should file a claim with the UN to get THEIR "historical" Phillistine lands back? So what if other people have been living there for thousands of years in the meantime? Oh, yeah, the nation of the historical Philistines is extinct. Just like the nation of the historical Israelis. Extinct. Meanwhile, only sixty-six years ago millions of Palestinians were forced off of their land so "Israelis" could move in---and they won't forget it. They KNOW the real history.........................elsullo :cool:

There was a Palestine, but not Palestinians as we know them. Palestine was occupied, divided, resettled, conquered and so on for a couple of thousand years, but not by the people who now call themselves Palestinians. Those people adopted that name in 1988, using the PLO as their representatives.

You are going to see this the way you want to and I can't help that. There's no sense in debating someone who prefers the PLO to our ally Israel - the only ally we have in the middle east and who the Muslim Obama is busy trashing and insulting.

Go with the Muslims, especially the PLO. I hope it works out well for you.

I'm finished with this.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads