JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK...I'm just curious about what each one of you thinks is the main reason we need to be "prepared".

I personally am VERY concerned about an EMP attack. That is my driving force behind stockpiling and making sure I'm prepared for a 5-10 year stretch with no dependable electricity....

The other big reason is the inevitible collapse of the US dollar, and the general downturn of the economy...I was just wondering what your thoughts are. What do you think the main threat is right now? War?

PS - Can someone clue me in on the Zombie threads....seriously? Is that code for something?? Thanks.

Really there is no telling when things will bite you on the butt and it could come from alot of directions.

I think the worst problem we could face is an interuption in the food markets due to who knows what. Our system is such that if we have any of the calimities come along there will be food shortages. Just opinion of course.

jj

Can someone clue me in on the Zombie threads....seriously? Is that code for something?? Thanks.

It better not be. I've invested countless hours learning to recognize the real thing.

My other main concern (after Zombies of course) is the implications of a global sovereign debt collapse (including, in time, USA debt). Making ourselves more self-sufficient, and insuring assets against both deflation or severe inflation, are our current priorities. Doing those two things would increase survivability in any number of potential situations (war, natural disasters, economic meltdown, etc.).

EMP attack is a fantasy. You're more likely to experience an earthquake, keep food and water for two weeks on hand. Oh, and some cash.
:bsflag:

yeah...in ND, we're real worried about earthquakes....I dont' think so...Blizzards are a way of life...last winter we went a week with no electricity...in -20 temps....

No, EMP is a real threat to the US and if you are not aware of it, you are the one in the dark.

Trying to survive religious fanatics, political whack-jobs, propaganda lies, monopoly pricing, and my job moving to China. Not so bad really, at least I'm not being beaten down and starved like a Palestinian.

For me a more realistic 'catastrophic situation' would be a contagious disease pandemic or a dirty (radioactive) bomb.
Imagine if nobody was willing to leave their houses due to risk of catching a disease or radioactive poisoning. That's okay for a little while but when trucks don't restock grocery stores and nobody shows up at the water department to switch valves on and off bad things start to happen. Basic services and products stop, including fuel, electricity, water, sewer, and food..... Wouldn't take long for society to breakdown, especially in the cities where people are so dependent on local services.
I am not one to imagine or worry about a 'Mad Max movie' type scenario or zombies running the streets but I am prepared for natural disasters or situations I have described above.

I HOPE AND PRAY THAT EVERY PREPARATION I HAVE EVER MADE IS A WASTE OF TIME, MONEY, AND EFFORT!

Being prepared is part of our existence. We prepare for vacations, retirement, winter, dinner guests and yes societal breakdown.

The human condition generally prepares for the worst though...we're neurotic. We anguish over how we look to friends. Why? If they're really friends it won't matter...We fret over how we will do on an exam. Why? If we study it will probably turn out fine. We think the cop that just pulled us over is going to grill us about drugs, alcohol, guns... we get wierd about things that are only in our heads. The cop could care less about your personal life...just wanted to let you know one of your taillights are out.

But I digress...you wanted to know why some prepare and for what?

Take your pick...
No. Korea goes to war with the world? Oil flow slows due to strickter regulations on where to drill safely? Truck can't get fuel...can't deliver food to market? Further budget cuts limit government services such as police, garbage pick up, water? Planet Nibiru interferes with our planets magnetic fields? Earthquakes shut down power plants? The American people get fed up with Fascism...start executing wall streeters? Martial law? Spain follows Greece in bankruptcy? China wants us to pay back their loans? We tell them to take a flying leap at a rolling dounut? They don't find our sense of humor funny.

My belief is that the water is heating up and the world is getting uncomfortable. You know the story about the frog...don't you?

Put a frog in a pot of boiling water and it will jump out immediately...put a frog in a pot of room temperature water... slowly turn up the heat...and it will boil to death.

Man has predicted the end of the world since dirt. I don't know if armaggedon is next year or ever...but I do feel the water getting hotter.

Will

More or less, I'm preparing for whatever comes, including the trials and tribulations of life in this economy (which I told relatives to prepare for FIVE years ago. They laughed, but it's not so funny to them now).

Though I have not had to use my guns, ammo, etc. - stockpiling food and hoarding precious metals has allowed us to get by comfortably and with less stress than the ordinairy person would during a couple of rough patches.

More or less, I'm just a realist and was lucky enough to have a couple of great grandfathers who weathered the Depression pretty well to serve as an example. People should realize that over 8 million Americans perished as a result of the Great Depression, which is more people than died or were exterminated in Nazi concentration camps. But nobody talks about that fact.

Prior to WW2, what we so-called "preppers" do was just an ordinairy part of life. You grew your own food, hunted, saved and stockpiled provisions for the lean times.

That said, it's not my only concern.

Thanks everyone for your great an honest answers...I know stockpiling and being prepared is just the smart thing to do these days....I was just wondering what your vices were...THANKS for all the honest and upfront answers. I appreciate it. I'm glad to see there will be survivors if the world takes a sudden turn for the worst...and I plan for my family to be some of them.

I'm not the only " prepared wacko", as my brother so kindly put it, out there...I told him, don't come to visit your "wacko" sister when your kids are starving and you have no heat.

More or less, I'm preparing for whatever comes, including the trials and tribulations of life in this economy (which I told relatives to prepare for FIVE years ago. They laughed, but it's not so funny to them now).

5 years...what great advice...that's what I'm working towards now...I definitely have at least 1 year of food/supplies...just bought my food grade buckets at the bakery yesterday and ordered my mylar liners and oxygen absorbers last night. Planning a hit on Sam's club this next weekend. :)

I follow the % rule...I spend the % of my preps on the % likelihood of something happening.

In my take, I spend about 90% of my preps based upon short-term disruptions like an earthquake, disruption of oil and/or food supply, etc. The Cascadia subduction zone letting loose again is gonna happen, just could be 50 or a 100 years from now...but its a real thing for people to prepare for.

I spend the other 10% for longer term...year plus disruptions.

I just think its unilikely we get an armageddon type event and so invest less of my preps toward that front.

On the economic front, I've been informed by FerFal's blog (he's from Argentina and has lived through their collapse of 2001). I think the Mad Max type breakdown overnight is highly unlikely...a slow, drawn-out, things getting worse by the month...is the more likely scenario.

For myself and my family, this is ALL about becoming self-reliant. Not that I don't love the comforts and conveniences of going to a store and getting it on the shelf.

I grew up 10miles from the nearest grocery store. For us, then we made lists and plans when we "went to town" to get as much as we could so our trip "counted". Well, when I grew up and moved in to town, got married, had kids, I stopped doing that.

Now, I tell folks, though we BELIEVE, we are like the LDS or Mennonite folks without their religion.

My time is spent trying to keep extra food, ammo, fishing tackle and LEARNING. How to dehydrate, grow food, save seed, butcher, grow chickens, basically everything that was second nature to my grandparents in the Depression, that my parents never learned and never taught me.

So, less than preparing to survive, I am "re-learning" how to do things "the old way" and I love it!

I pretty much agree with unionguy's take on preparations although I'm a long ways from where I want to be. For my preps I am assuming a three month interruption of food/fuel and I want my family to survive and thrive during the outage.

When I feel comfortable that I have that base covered I'll finalize my goals for a new plan and start working on it.

My bet right now due to the information at hand is we are headed for spiraling deflation and job loss that will set a record.. When that happens government will tax the heck out of us.

Of course this will lead to social unrest and crime escalating. Read a story about detroit and people there are moving out like crazy due to crime. Seems if you put up bars on doors and windows it makes the thieves so mad they burn your house down.

jj

How to dehydrate, grow food, save seed, butcher, grow chickens, basically everything that was second nature to my grandparents in the Depression, that my parents never learned and never taught me.

Ah yes, the skills we have used throughout our entire human history, and have only very recently abandoned in the modern urban world. Good skills to have if/when the system decides to "reboot." :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top