JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok I am looking for 'weird' preps most ppl may not think about... And what you use it for. Mostly like cheap stuff you can buy in bulk and has several uses. The ultimate "prepper" preps if you will....

Like:

-Paraffin wax, I seen it in 'What you did to prep today' thread and not sure its uses for prepping. I know canning but thats it. (my mom uses it for a hand spa therapy)

- Diatomaceous Earth (DE)- Seen this in prep section quite a bit for filter media... Or what else can you use it for...?

Any other cool things like this most ppl like me wouldnt think about, to add to their preps?

Ok I am looking for 'weird' preps most ppl may not think about... And what you use it for. Mostly like cheap stuff you can buy in bulk and has several uses. The ultimate "prepper" preps if you will....

Like:

-Paraffin wax, I seen it in 'What you did to prep today' thread and not sure its uses for prepping. I know canning but thats it. (my mom uses it for a hand spa therapy)

- Diatomaceous Earth (DE)- Seen this in prep section quite a bit for filter media... Or what else can you use it for...?

Any other cool things like this most ppl like me wouldnt think about, to add to their preps?

I bleev you can burn paraffin wax if you need a fuel source for a fire. It can be used as a lubricant. It can be used as an electrical insulator. I pulled this from the Wiki entry for it. Lots of uses for paraffin, actually. Everything from food coatings to stabilizing agents for chemical explosives. Neat product.

Yeah so far I think the booze rules!

lol good ideas with the super glue!

and yeah gorilla duct tape is by FAR the best (that I have used anyways) and a MUST for any tool box or Emergency Preparedness kit!

I am a huge fan of 550 cord (para cord, survival cord). Use it as just rope, tie things together, use the "guts" out of it to make shift, sew things together. Dummy cord things to your bug out bag or belt. Make snares, traps, nets, etc... A lot of uses then one might think. I also agree with duct tape for the same reasons.

I just read in my last "Backwoodsman" magazine about make shift candles out of vegetable oil. So that, cooking and people use old oil to make bio diesel i thought. I'm sure there is even more you could do with it.

Haha, as I was writing this i had a buddy ask to use some duct tape!

The inner strands of para cord make better than average sutures. They won't rot in the wound before they are removed. I keep large eyed needles in my gear for sewing with para strands.

I am a huge fan of 550 cord (para cord, survival cord). Use it as just rope, tie things together, use the "guts" out of it to make shift, sew things together. Dummy cord things to your bug out bag or belt. Make snares, traps, nets, etc... A lot of uses then one might think. I also agree with duct tape for the same reasons.

I just read in my last "Backwoodsman" magazine about make shift candles out of vegetable oil. So that, cooking and people use old oil to make bio diesel i thought. I'm sure there is even more you could do with it.

Haha, as I was writing this i had a buddy ask to use some duct tape!

The oil candles aren't so make shift. The Roman Empire lit the night with olive oil candles, from the poorest hovels to the greatest mansions.

There is always talk of kits, bags, and all kinds of gear in the prep world. I never see anyone with really good sewing setups to do repairs on this stuff. A good sewing setup should be a sewing machine, know how to use it, a good selection of threads and needles to repair cotton, nylon, leather, and some more special items for sewing more difficult things like shoes and boots.

You don't want the first time using your machine to be when your pants came apart or the first time you try to sew a sole back on a shoe be when its raining out and its flopping around on you.

Needle and thread!

If you have an extra freezer in your home then make yourself some portable and leak proof emergency "ice blocks" by simply rinsing out your empty milk jugs, filling them 2/3 full of water, capping them, and letting them freeze. If there is ever a power outage of any length, you can simply transfer the frozen milk jugs over to your refrigerator and your food will stay cold for several days. The smaller half-gallon jugs work great in coolers and ice chests, they dont get everything inside wet like melting bags of ice do. Make sure to only fill the jugs 2/3 full to allow for the expansion of the ice as it freezes. My plan for dealing with a long term power outage is to preserve my food with stored ice for the first day or two, then use my generator to run my freezer only in order to make more ice. This will conserve fuel and reduce the load on the generator.

Lets see... unusual things...

I keep a scientific calculator in my bag... trig can be pretty difficult without one.

I'm also a fan of the Pocket Ref, it's a neat handy little book that covers a wide variety of engineering topics, it's among my EDC items.

Ruler/straight edge/tape measure - because man is not the measure of all things, measuring instruments are :)

Mint dental floss - because I like keeping my toofies clean, also, the green color makes it useful as a slightly smelly tripwire, is also retard strong.

Get a Picket Pocket slide rule. With log-log decitrig you can do all your computing without the need for a source of power.

Man is the source of all measurements. Without man, there are no measurements.

Dental Floss is a good idea I am thinking. It goes well with paracord.

Odd prep you've never heard of: Tongue Scrapers! <broken link removed>

Most third world populations don't use tooth brushes yet have great oral health. Part of that is due to a low sugar diet. The other part is due to .... tongue scrapers. Cheap, reusable, keeps your breath fresh and gingivitis at bay. Who knew!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top