JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The other thing you can do is you can oil your stock. You might check around on what folks are using for old M1 walnut stocks. I leave a wood handle shovel outside for easy access (@@#$X! dog:), I hit it with mineral oil about once or twice a year and it's doing much better than you'd expect.

So I just got M14 with a walnut stock and my gun safe is 40% humidity.
I was a Unit Armour while I was in the Army and was stationed in the CZ where the temperature and humidity are both pretty High. With over 250 M-14s and several personally owned firearms I went with the recommendation in the TMs and kept the temperature at about 70 degrees and the humidity at 40%. That seemed to work just fine. While I didn't have anything else to do, I field stripped all the M-14s and sealed the Stocks with Lin-Speed from Brownells Inc. A 1 pint can was enough for all the M-14s. I never suffered with any rust or warpage. After the Quarterly Quals the M-14s were cleaned and wiped down with a light coating of U.S.Army issue Gun Oil and stored until the next Quarterly Quals.

70deg Fahrenheit and 50% humidity is what I've read. I set up smartthings with a temp/humidity sensor and an outlet.

I created a webCore statement controlling the outlet based on the temp and/or humidity to power on a golden rod and 2x140mm fans to circulate the air.

I know it's overkill but in 10years maybe I'll save a few dollars on electricity not having it always on for no reason.

There's also a contact sensor controlling the lights and the same outlet. If the door is open then the lights turn on and the outlet turns off. No point on the goldenrod running if the doors open.

View attachment 434103

:s0152: I love this!

Where are the fans within the safe? Any chance you'd post pics of the setup?

:s0152: I love this!

Where are the fans within the safe? Any chance you'd post pics of the setup?

Fans are mounted under the bottoms shelf blowing onwards towards the golden rod. Motion/humidity/temperature sensor located top right of safe just below the contact sensor. Phillips hue light strip(s) going around the perimeter of the door. Smart plug behind small fireproof chest on bottom left. Ditched the factory door panel and installed a WildeCustoms molle panel and attached a bunch of nonsense to it.

8D1855FE-5C7E-4564-9B2E-1CF5ADB8EDD4.jpeg 74841E44-3A30-4CA5-A0B1-C00DEACBA7EE.jpeg E6E4FE3C-D744-4C0C-8D5F-F3C6056B1315.jpeg 09AFFBCD-51DE-4C48-B6F8-385B95001954.jpeg CA8EA7D5-FC2D-4BE3-9DFE-05770F462419.jpeg AB4B2D5D-0782-40BC-9CED-72297E732C66.jpeg 267DFAB6-45DE-4803-87FE-99C5FA30007A.jpeg

Fans are mounted under the bottoms shelf blowing onwards towards the golden rod. Motion/humidity/temperature sensor located top right of safe just below the contact sensor. Phillips hue light strip(s) going around the perimeter of the door. Smart plug behind small fireproof chest on bottom left. Ditched the factory door panel and installed a WildeCustoms molle panel and attached a bunch of nonsense to it.

Amazing setup man, thanks for posting those!

Great idea with the fans, is the safe pretty airtight? Did it come with the electrical inside?

I'm using a smaller safe that still has a few mount holes that aren't sealed. Running a consistent 40-50% humidity

Amazing setup man, thanks for posting those!

Great idea with the fans, is the safe pretty airtight? Did it come with the electrical inside?

I'm using a smaller safe that still has a few mount holes that aren't sealed. Running a consistent 40-50% humidity

I don't think any safe is air tight. This is actually my first safe purchase. Got it cause it was on sale for $799. It's the liberty safe USA24. Definitely a cheaper safe as you can tell they cut a lot of corners when it come to the attention to details. It did come with the outlet installed and a generic door panel that I cut off.

View attachment 467115 View attachment 467116 View attachment 467117 View attachment 467118 View attachment 467119 View attachment 467120 View attachment 467121
Wow your safe is organized. Any chance you can list or link some of the products you added?

To add to the current topic, I use a golden rod, positioned on the floor along the front of the door. I also use silicone treated docks on blued firearms. Heirlooms get socked and go inside plastic bags with additional little moisture bags.

Wow your safe is organized. Any chance you can list or link some of the products you added?

- Goldenrod
- Phillips hue light strips
- Samsung smartthings contact sensor
- Samsung smartthings smart plug
- Aeotec Multisensor (temp, Humidty, motion, light)
- SecureIt Gun Storage accessories
- 5.11 mag pouches and a few eBay ones
- 5.11 molle pouches
- Liberty Safe Pistol rods
- Corsair Fans
- Generic Pictany Rails for mounting accessories
- Raven Concealmet upper receiver covers (mounted to the back wall behind the rifles, uppers fit perfectly back there)
- Wilde Customs Gear molle panels
- Small Sentry fire proof box for documents like tax stamps and anything else that needs a little more protection from heat.

Script below controls the humidity if it gets to high and the temperature of it gets too low.

C3FAA833-187E-4927-A64B-976F486C4D3B.png 428DF1A6-488F-4AF7-BE23-7DF09B7C8F5C.png 087AAF63-CC3D-4A69-8EF9-B0B1BAAB097B.png

Last Edited:
- Goldenrod
- Phillips hue light strips
- Samsung smartthings contact sensor
- Samsung smartthings smart plug
- Aeotec Multisensor (temp, Humidty, motion, light)
- SecureIt Gun Storage accessories
- 5.11 mag pouches and a few eBay ones
- 5.11 molle pouches
- Liberty Safe Pistol rods
- Corsair Fans
- Generic Pictany Rails for mounting accessories
- Raven Concealmet upper receiver covers (mounted to the back wall behind the rifles, uppers fit perfectly back there)
- Wilde Customs Gear molle panels
- Small Sentry fire proof box for documents like tax stamps and anything else that needs a little more protection from heat.

Script below controls the humidity if it gets to high and the temperature of it gets too low.

View attachment 467213 View attachment 467215 View attachment 467214
Thanks, the Secure It additions and those molle panels from Wilde Custom Gear got me thinking. I like what you have done.

I keep a magazine in my AR so that way I just need to pull the charging handle to load it. I do keep a round loaded in the chamber of FNH SLP. the only reason do since I bought SecureIT for my small safe. It has elastic ties that I use to secure the barrels of my long guns. Pretty easy to put the in any safe. Just had to buy some short screws at Home Depot to secure that plastic panels and put the retainers in for the barrels.

My safe is small but I managed to put 4 longs guns in my safe and they ship so I put two panels in and buttstock is broken down in to two long guns each.

Gun Safe Kit: Rapid 6 - SecureIt Gun Storage

SecureIt-Rapid-6-01.jpg

Note this is a picture from the SecureIT website only.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads