JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
hey guys, im starting to load 40sw

i plan to load some 180gr lead tc bullets and was wondering what the best powder for this would be?

im loading these on a lee turret press with a disk measuring system

any info would be helpful and awesome

as it stands right now i have a 3/4lb jug of titegroup that my friend gave me that i was goin to use but not sure if its the best.....

I have used 3 different kinds of powder for .40 in my S&W MP but have found that IMR 700X shoots good consistant groups and burns clean. Give it a try.

I've become a big fan of Ramshot Silhouette. It moves em fast. Its a clean powder that has a flash inhibitor for the range and makes a great SD load too. CCI primers work best with this powder. Very little velocity spread (10-15fps) on my chrony.

i plan to load some 180gr lead tc bullets and was wondering what the best powder for this would be?

The best powder is one which you have on hand, that will get you to the right velocity without giving you problems. Most shotshell/pistol powder work well for 40S&W. Check your reloading manuals & some of the websites online from the powder mfg's.

as it stands right now i have a 3/4lb jug of titegroup that my friend gave me that i was goin to use but not sure if its the best.....

Titegroup should work... check your manuals, and start with the conservative load. I use Unique, not because its clean... but because its accurate enough for my use, easy to load/measure, works well across a wide variety of calibers/load combos, and I can get it nearly anywhere.

Cheers!

I would highly recommend any of the ball type propellants. The lee powder disk system is a pile of HS and tends to be dangerously inaccurate when using flake type powders.

For this caliber, Titegroup is my go-to powder, HP-38, W231 also work well, but tend to foul a bit more. You're going to get some fouling and some smoke from the bullet lube, in which case HP-38/W231 may be easier to find and cheaper. I know when I buy W231 in bulk it runs about $8/lb, titegroup is nearly twice the price, but performs in a lot of situations 231 doesnt.

Consult any of the loading books, and they should have loads for this weight of bullet and caliber.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top