1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $850 in prizes this month -- enter now for your chance to win!
    Dismiss Notice

what is good powder for 40sw

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Dizle, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Dizle

Dizle albany, oregon Member

i plan to load some 180gr lead tc bullets and was wondering what the best powder for this would be?

im loading these on a lee turret press with a disk measuring system

any info would be helpful and awesome

as it stands right now i have a 3/4lb jug of titegroup that my friend gave me that i was goin to use but not sure if its the best.....
  2. gunfreak

gunfreak Meridian Well-Known Member

I have used 3 different kinds of powder for .40 in my S&W MP but have found that IMR 700X shoots good consistant groups and burns clean. Give it a try.
  3. Sawz

Sawz Aurora OR. Member

I've become a big fan of Ramshot Silhouette. It moves em fast. Its a clean powder that has a flash inhibitor for the range and makes a great SD load too. CCI primers work best with this powder. Very little velocity spread (10-15fps) on my chrony.
  4. SAR1846

SAR1846 Oregon Member

The best powder is one which you have on hand, that will get you to the right velocity without giving you problems. Most shotshell/pistol powder work well for 40S&W. Check your reloading manuals & some of the websites online from the powder mfg's.

Titegroup should work... check your manuals, and start with the conservative load. I use Unique, not because its clean... but because its accurate enough for my use, easy to load/measure, works well across a wide variety of calibers/load combos, and I can get it nearly anywhere.

5. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

I would highly recommend any of the ball type propellants. The lee powder disk system is a pile of HS and tends to be dangerously inaccurate when using flake type powders.

For this caliber, Titegroup is my go-to powder, HP-38, W231 also work well, but tend to foul a bit more. You're going to get some fouling and some smoke from the bullet lube, in which case HP-38/W231 may be easier to find and cheaper. I know when I buy W231 in bulk it runs about $8/lb, titegroup is nearly twice the price, but performs in a lot of situations 231 doesnt.

Consult any of the loading books, and they should have loads for this weight of bullet and caliber.