JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You don't mention it, but if you are using a powder thru the expander type setup, the spring pressure applied to the case mouth/end could be enough to bulge a case that is soft, thin, or both.
I have found that spring on a Lee rotary powder measure to be quite firm.
just sayin'
:)
The spring pressure? Normal expanders are solid and if using the Lee powder through die (with spring return) one goes past/beyond the actual spring throw to flare and charge the case.
Not really understanding what you're trying to say.

The spring pressure? Normal expanders are solid and if using the Lee powder through die (with spring return) one goes past/beyond the actual spring throw to flare and charge the case.
Not really understanding what you're trying to say.

Powder thru the EXPANDER die, the expander is hollow, and moves up, against the powder measure to cycle it.
The Powder measure has a spring that is overcome (compressed or extended) when the case is moving upward, with this spring returning the measure back down to the start position.

This powder measure has an internal spring, scroll down and watch the 2nd video:
<broken link removed>
This is a typical the powder thru the expander die cross section:
<broken link removed>
An actual die set:
<broken link removed>
I hope this helps you understand,

Powder thru the EXPANDER die, the expander is hollow, and moves up, against the powder measure to cycle it.
The Powder measure has a spring that is overcome (compressed or extended) when the case is moving upward, with this spring returning the measure back down to the start position.

This powder measure has an internal spring, scroll down and watch the 2nd video:
<broken link removed>
This is a typical the powder thru the expander die cross section:
<broken link removed>
An actual die set:
<broken link removed>
I hope this helps you understand,
I understand how both types work but fail to understand what you are suggesting/thinking what the Lee through-die would be doing to the brass that a fixed one doesn't, save drop powder of course.

I understand how both types work but fail to understand what you are suggesting/thinking what the Lee through-die would be doing to the brass that a fixed one doesn't, save drop powder of course.

Maybe over flare? Though over flaring makes brass unusable.. Had that oops a couple times.

That hollow/sliding expander has a shoulder/stop on it, not a continuous angle like a fixed expander, so there's no way to "over flare"....only crush/bulge :).

The pressure of that measure spring could bulge a soft/thin case, after the cases reaches that shoulder and continues to compress that spring.
Something you would need to see, I guess, to understand.

Watching a suspect case thru each operation would show where/when the bulge occurs, simple enough to do;).
My money is on the seating/crimping station though, and the reason LEE sells a 4 die set that seats and crimps separately to allow processing of "range" brass.
:D

That hollow/sliding expander has a shoulder/stop on it, not a continuous angle like a fixed expander, so there's no way to "over flare"....only crush/bulge :).

The pressure of that measure spring could bulge a soft/thin case, after the cases reaches that shoulder and continues to compress that spring.

Watching a suspect case thru each operation would show where/when the bulge occurs, simple enough to do;).
My money is on the seating/crimping station though, and the reason LEE sells a 4 die set that seats and crimps separately to allow processing of "range" brass.
As I said, when flaring the case using a Lee powder through die, one goes past the throw/limit of the spring, exactly as if it were then a normal traditional expanding die (it no longer moves). Nothing to do with the spring.
I seat, as-cast, sharp base .360 dia slugs in my 9mm loads all the time.. flared with a Lee powder through die. It flares them plenty for those fat boys and perfectly.. and those loads are seriously "coke bottled".

As I said, when flaring the case using a Lee powder through die, one goes past the throw/limit of the spring, exactly as if it were then a normal traditional expanding die (it no longer moves). Nothing to do with the spring.
I seat, as-cast, sharp base .360 dia slugs in my 9mm loads all the time.. flared with a Lee powder through die. It flares them plenty for those fat boys and perfectly.. and those loads are seriously "coke bottled".
Understood,
Some guns won't tolerate/chamber a cast bullet that big, the OP is loading jacketed and experiencing a bulge.
We don't know which expander die the OP is using, or which powder measure.
I recently switched TO the Lee Auto Drum FROM the Lee Pro Auto Disc Powder measure and found the DRUM Measure to have a much stiffer spring, expanding the case up to the shoulder on the plug before compressing the spring at all:eek:.
That's the reason for my 1st post here, and I understand why your experience with different equipment gives you different results.

Last Edited:
Understood,
We don't know which expander die the OP is using.
Have you loaded any of the brass the OP is having a problem with?
Oh, I didn't check.. I assumed he did since you were so fixated on it.
No, all my brass, no matter the brand is coke-bottled. I use "as-cast", un-sized, sharp based, fat bullets. lol

Oh, I didn't check.. I assumed he did since you were so fixated on it.
No, all my brass, no matter the brand is coke-bottled. I use "as-cast", un-sized, sharp based, fat bullets. lol
I have edited my post while you were posting.
I'm not really fixated on anything, just trying to relate what I posted in such a way that you would understand, as you seem fixated with my post.

Last Edited:
I think the simple solution is to segregate your brass. I had similar issues 18 years ago, when Norinco ammo was plentiful and popular. Their 9mm brass was super thin and soft. I would get similar bulging at the bullet seat, and also at the base of the case. Would not pass my case gauge. I sorted all the Norinco crap out, and solved the issue. I do get the occasional CBC headstamp and never had issues with them.

My experience with CBC brass has been that not only does it tend to be thicker, but it also seems to have more internal taper. I'm guessing that you're using bullets heavier than 115gr? Heavier bullets usually seat deeper into the case, and into the thick tapered section, causing bulge.

I sort out the CBC and S&B brass especially because I don't like the excessive bulge with the 125gr .358 cast bullets I use. Yes, I know that so long as they still chamber they're OK, but I'm just picky, and I have more 9mm brass than I'll ever use. :)

Anyone wants some cheap 9mm brass that's all CBC, S&B, PMC, USGI, and a few others; let me know. I sort it all out and have a couple gallons worth.

Upon reflection, I do recall on my last reloading session several months ago (1000 rounds), I did have 10 or 12 that did not pass the case gauge, and 2 or 3 of them were CBC cases! I just run across so few CBC cases I never made a connection they might be a problem...

I don't believe his crimp die is set so deep as to bulge the case from hitting the stop on the expander die. Even if he is using an rcbs stepped expander the bulge from taper crimping an over flare like that would be higher towards the case mouth along the side of the projectile, not at the base of the bullet, and the case would likely have buckling marks. I don't see in his pics where the case looks buckled or over expanded. Old eyes maybe. I still think his CBC brass is slightly thicker to bulge like that with a jacketed projectile.

I use a FCD on all my pistol loading and most of that is range brass. After sizing, flairing, expanding, and seating, the brass usually doesn't contact the carbide ring harshly on the FCD if the other dies are adjusted properly. Except with thicker brass or oversized projectiles...then you will feel some resistance as the sizer irons everything out. This is why I sort my brass by headstamp.

I don't believe his crimp die is set so deep as to bulge the case from hitting the stop on the expander die. Even if he is using an rcbs stepped expander the bulge from taper crimping an over flare like that would be higher towards the case mouth along the side of the projectile, not at the base of the bullet, and the case would likely have buckling marks. I don't see in his pics where the case looks buckled or over expanded. Old eyes maybe. I still think his CBC brass is slightly thicker to bulge like that with a jacketed projectile.

I use a FCD on all my pistol loading and most of that is range brass. After sizing, flairing, expanding, and seating, the brass usually doesn't contact the carbide ring harshly on the FCD if the other dies are adjusted properly. Except with thicker brass or oversized projectiles...then you will feel some resistance as the sizer irons everything out. This is why I sort my brass by headstamp.

I shouldn't say I use the FCD on everything...I don't use it on cast loads with thicker brass. It can actually resize the projectile that way. Too small cast bullets tend to lead more.

So I'm reloading 9mm and I'm getting these bulging cases on the brass cases but not on the Zinc cases which are both using same exact setup/dies/powder/bullets/ect.....

How is this possible. Each case is passing my case gauge prior to being put thru the reloading process.. With the bulging cases about 10-15 percent will not pass the case gauge after reloading is complete. Case will not go 100% into the case gauge on these few although they appear to be the same as the 90% that pass?

View attachment 280571 View attachment 280572
You need and bulge buster made by redding. some pistols, especially glocks leave the bulge. The bulge buster is a real complete length sizer. your ammo will fit. D

You need and bulge buster made by redding. some pistols, especially glocks leave the bulge. The bulge buster is a real complete length sizer. your ammo will fit. D
That is NOT his problem...the ammo is getting properly resized, the issue comes up during bullet seating

What brand of bullets are they?
I had issues like this with 10mm/40cal bullets from Berrys bullets. They were cheap and I supposed they weren't plated all the same.
I didn't change anything and the other brands didn't cause this problem

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads