Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

What is going on with this reload? Bulging on sides vs Non bulging cases??

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by John Gault, Feb 29, 2016.

1. John Gault

John Gault clackamas county Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

So I'm reloading 9mm and I'm getting these bulging cases on the brass cases but not on the Zinc cases which are both using same exact setup/dies/powder/bullets/ect.....

How is this possible. Each case is passing my case gauge prior to being put thru the reloading process.. With the bulging cases about 10-15 percent will not pass the case gauge after reloading is complete. Case will not go 100% into the case gauge on these few although they appear to be the same as the 90% that pass?

P1030197.JPG P1030198.JPG

2. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

I assume that they are all the same length case. If so I would say you have too much crimp as I have noticed that the plated casings are somewhat stronger and will take more abuse. I use a Lee factory crimp die as a fourth die because of this issue. Some do fine with a three die set by avoiding belling the mouth as much for seating and use very little to no crimp.

evltwn, Dyjital and P7id10T like this.
  3. John Gault

I'm becoming convinced that the separate crimp die is going to be a must regardless of this issue but I will start with the crimping now... Cases are all pretty close in length.
    I've had similar issues with some .40 that some cases bulge and others don't.
    Thanks for feedback!

4. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

Do they seat fully into the chamber of your pistol/s? If they do, they're fine. I'm sure they have plenty of neck tension. lol

5. techiej

techiej vancouver, wa Active Member

Either too much crimp or the bullet isn't being seated perfectly straight.

FWIW - I'm a big fan of separate seating & crimping and use a Lee FCD as it means I don't have to case gauge my finished rounds (handgun only).

Dyjital likes this.
  6. v0lcom13sn0w

v0lcom13sn0w Keizer, or Well-Known Member

i dont crimp any of my handgun loads except 357 mag. and my 9mm still do that. i just roll with it.

pyromancer, Dyjital and John Gault like this.
  7. John Gault

Alright guys check this out. I backed off on my crimp die.. no change brass still bulges . Tried to different brass manufacturer.. the brass I've been having issues with is stamped CBC. Change to FC , blazer, RP, brass same settings NO bulge. Slight noticeable with S & B brass. Is this a brass quality issue?

8. John Gault

Aesthetically it wouldn't kill me to see the bulge but having 10% of them not go into my case gauge bothers me

v0lcom13sn0w likes this.
  9. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

The unsupported case walls are getting distorted.
    Dies work for other brass.
    CBC brass real soft?
    Insufficient bell?
    Lube with graphite?
    Discard CBC brass?

Some cases just don't work. I would move past them.

Hook686 and orygun like this.
  10. John Gault

I'm at the point where this brass is going in the scrapper.... I loaded about 70 pcs that I'll shoot. I had to pull about 20-30 pcs and resize and process again. Of those about 6+ didn't work again...

Time to move on...

Separate crimp dies for all pistol and rifle sizes on my order list with Brownells along with some 300 blackout items for a rifle I don't have yet :D

I'm finding that I can spend a lot of money wasting primers on bad brass. I'm thinking I'm gonna sort thru a whole bunch of higher quality once fired brass and pass on the lesser when using the full auto press where finess is harder to manage than with a hand primer....

11. v0lcom13sn0w

v0lcom13sn0w Keizer, or Well-Known Member

my case gauge is my 9mm with the tightest chamber(CZ75 p07). since noone else is shooting my reloads thats why i just run'm

12. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

I'm always happy when my 9mm's are "coke-bottled". Never had one fail to drop fully into a pistol barrel due to that phenomena alone.

v0lcom13sn0w likes this.
  13. ageingstudent

ageingstudent NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2016 Volunteer

If they won't fit the case gague they might still work fine in your pistol, unless you have a chamber the same size as your case gague (unlikely). Plunk some in your chamber and see if they fit. It's not unusual to see where the projectile bulges the case like that. CBC brass is usually pretty good. A Lee factory crimp die would likely make that round fit in the case gague better, but you will probably still be able to see that bulge. That brass might be a little thicker so the inside diameter is probably a little smaller, thus the bulge around the bullet.

It could be that the brass is too thick/out of spec, but that wouldn't be a common occurrence. In my experience anyway. Very seldom run across bad brass.

Dyjital likes this.
  14. Steve M

Steve M Beaverton, OR Well-Known Member

I'm guessing the brass is thicker so it in effect gets sized down too much and gets opened up again by the bullet being seated. You could back off the die so it doesn't crimp to see if this is the case or not.

PiratePast40 and ageingstudent like this.
  15. Gonzales

Gonzales Albany, OR Member

What dies are you using?

16. John Gault

RCBS carbide dies on a PRO 2000. Again, after further workups 3 out of 4 brass brands seem to work without any "bulging"....

17. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

All of mine do that. Bullet bulge.

They all chamber just fine. :)

18. P7id10T

P7id10T Cedar Hills Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Examine a bunch of rounds after each stage in the process. When you see the bulge, that's what's causing it. Over the years, sometimes mine was in flaring sometimes in the crimp.
    Though some might disagree, I think it's unreasonable to expect all your rounds to be perfect.
    If it fits, Bang!

Plus, if you use the bulge cases, and some don't fit, it's good practice for tap-rack-shoot.

19. Benchrest

Benchrest The Desert Planet Well-Known Member

Both my Lee 9mm die sets do this (one set is from the mid 80s, one recent production). I've got the seater set so that it removes the bell, but doesn't 'crimp'.

Thousands run through TP9 variants, XDMs, Sigs, Astras... Zero issues.

Certaindeaf likes this.
  20. John Gault

I'm gonna have to chrono some of these as I expect that this will add to the overall pressure yes/no?