JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I read this and have to ask, what exactly is behind the growth? Because I don't think this article actually answers it.

This article cites three things: closure of 3rd street entrance to the courthouse, Seattle is Dying, and the grassroots effort behind 1639 (what?)

The 1639 effort is a non-sequitur--that is mostly gun-owners rising up and isn't even loosely correlated with CPLs.

The other two cites would describe why someone in Seattle might want their CPL. Maybe.

But none of these actually describe why CPLs would be increasing sharply across the state in the face of much, much louder anti-gun rhetoric.

We've taught 350 women this year, everything from basic protection to home defense. ~20-30% have never fired a firearm in their lives.

They're seeing life-threatening or mortal crimes taking place in their neighborhoods or within a mile of their homes. They're seeing that police are unavailable and response times are outrageous due to budget cuts, huge territories, and general overwhelm. They're experiencing the effects of the catch-and-release program where someone can be charged 75 times and still be released to go and attack a woman.

Women and minorities are the fastest-growing CPL population.

Their bubbles have been burst. And while it is truly a sad thing, it is actually a good thing. They're beginning to see that they are their own best defense.

Legalized pot has exploded the growth of crime and homeless in both wa and or and most poeple don't even realize it. It's like a magnet for homeless and dregs from the rest of the US.

Portland is nothing like it was prior to the legalization in terms of homeless and property crime. Meth has been here a long time and it of course attracts criminals and tweakers, but since pot was legalized it's a completely different world we live in. Those from Colorado say the same thing happened there when they legalized weed but from what I've seen in Colorado it's not nearly as bad as here.

Permissiveness and generally mild weather can account for a lot of that. Same reasons there are such problems in KA's coastal cities.
I think ur right. I know someone who works for a non-profit dealing with homeless and she says that CA, AR, NM, etc all have huge programs where they give homeless one-way tickets to Portland for free (don't know if same applies to Seattle or not). So the milder climate for these poeple coming from the warmer areas with "ship them north" programs coupled with the open arms attitude affects it a lot I think.

So Portland throws out the welcome mat and other states are spending lots of money shipping their homeless problem to here the end result is obvious. And of course when they get here people make more infrastructure for them, which attracts even more, and the cycle continues.

Meanwhile the nature of the communities are changing almost overnight. Property crime is out of control and if you listen to "5-0 radio" or other free phone apps which play the police bands, you'll see that, for PDX at least, over 90% of what police have to deal with every day is homeless or druggies.

It's a vicious cycle that won't stop anytime soon. Good poeple arming themselves is one way a person can gain some immediate security from this completely screwed up system which makes our communities worse and worse as time goes on.

Meanwhile the nature of the communities are changing almost overnight.

I'm noticing changes out here in the boonies. An increase in both hard drug possession/use, property crime, and the number of homeless. We have had a warming station for more than a year now. They moved it near biz, and biz appealed on the basis of zoning and lost their case. In the meantime, much of the public was up in arms that "mean" or "hateful" people would object to a warming station for the homeless. Nevermind that it is attracting the homeless from other areas and placing them near downtown business. People want that??? I don't get it.

Pendleton recently cleared as many as 20 homeless camps along the Umatilla River that runs next to town. That is a new thing! We never used to see homeless camps except in the forest, during warm months. Now they stay. They have services.

I saw a guy yesterday in front of Safeway. He had his bicycle, his duffelbag, his bottle of pop, and was smoking. I guess if you don't have any utility bills or rent, you can afford to smoke eh? There's always a homeless inside Safeway enjoying a nice latte. I don't think I'll trade lives but wtf?

I've seen the same thing in a town next to mine. The Safeway has become a magnet for drifters and they stay in the woods behind Safeway. We've had a few withing eyesight of our home and I've asked a few where they lived and I got a blank stare. Something tells me they aren't local, that said I have no issue if that's how you choose to live but I don't need you camping on other people's vacant property near me...I guess I'm a meany.

Legalized pot has exploded the growth of crime and homeless in both wa and or and most poeple don't even realize it. It's like a magnet for homeless and dregs from the rest of the US.

Portland is nothing like it was prior to the legalization in terms of homeless and property crime. Meth has been here a long time and it of course attracts criminals and tweakers, but since pot was legalized it's a completely different world we live in. Those from Colorado say the same thing happened there when they legalized weed but from what I've seen in Colorado it's not nearly as bad as here.

It's harder to see reality when Your stoned .:s0136: :s0119:

I've seen the same thing in a town next to mine. The Safeway has become a magnet for drifters and they stay in the woods behind Safeway. We've had a few withing eyesight of our home and I've asked a few where they lived and I got a blank stare. Something tells me they aren't local, that said I have no issue if that's how you choose to live but I don't need you camping on other people's vacant property near me...I guess I'm a meany.

Safeway is not safe . Some are aggressive and approach folks in the parking lot after they exit their car. Every Safeway in about 10 towns I've been to, has these people they hang out by the can machines.

Speaking of Safeway.
I walked inside A store the other day. There were four others in front of me.
As we all stepped "inside" the physical store, FIVE Safeway employees confronted the four in front of me.
I stopped as well, as one Safeway employee was talking to the front-most (of the fours) patron.
I was quick to learn that the group, would go inside in-mass and disperse, distracting as many people as possible, as one loaded items under their coat.
The employee had no remorse, as he told ALL OF THEM to GET THE F..K OUT and get OFF the property.
It was quite the show.
As I continued inside, I walked by the employee who confronted said thieves. I commented, that I seen nothing wrong with the way he handled the issue.
I almost wanted to give him a HIGH-5.

Safeway is not safe . Some are aggressive and approach folks in the parking lot after they exit their car. Every Safeway in about 10 towns I've been to, has these people they hang out by the can machines.
Interesting. I wonder if stores r legally required by the state to have those can machines? It makes one wonder if they all went on the fritz would they continue to hang out there...

Here the big thing at the biggest homeless camps is they steal vehicles and then chop them up to sell the metal etc. A local gov employee told me that in the 4 corners camp they took out 25 dumpsters full of trash and car remains the first time, and then 27 dumpsters the second time. He showed me photos and it was sickening. This is where some local citizens set up the unauthorized "hope village" (basically picnic tables etc and food handouts as I understand it) in a designated nature refuge. He said they had 2 five acre cleanouts in the first 9 months of its existence.

If u build it they will come. And ur tax dollars will pay for the cleanup and never ending law enforcement burden. And hope there isn't a crime near u because they will be too busy dealing with that burden. And by the way these folks getting the handouts will let all their friends know about it too.

Last Edited:
Interesting. I wonder if stores r legally required by the state to have those can machines? It makes one wonder if they all went on the fritz would they continue to hang out there...

Here the big thing at the biggest homeless camps is they steal vehicles and then chop them up to sell the metal etc. A local gov employee told me that in the 4 corners camp they took out 25 dumpsters full of trash and car remains the first time, and then 27 dumpsters the second time. He showed me photos and it was sickening. This is where some local citizens set up the unauthorized "hope village" (basically picnic tables etc and food handouts as I understand it) in a designated nature refuge. He said they had 2 five acre cleanouts in the first 9 months of its existence.

If u build it they will come. And ur tax dollars will pay for the cleanup and never ending law enforcement burden. And hope there isn't a crime near u because they will be too busy dealing with that burden. And by the way these folks getting the handouts will let all their friends know about it too.

The last time I went to the can machines about 5 years ago ..I had to go get help 3 times due to them breaking down . On the 3rd time when I finally got some one to help I walked out and all my bottles and cans where stolen. It took 2 hours of screwing with the junk machines and the fuel to go there. My cans just go in the garbage now.

Safeway is a proud sponsor of Bloomberg's shill groups MDA and Everytown. They are, predictably, gun-free zones.

Since I saw their logo displayed on MDA's Facebook page a few years ago I started shopping at Freddy's or W*M and have been inside a Safeway twice... maybe.

Yes, I am armed.
Yes, I saw your sign.
Yes, I can read.
No, I don't care.
Yes, I am kind of a jerk.
No, I don't care about that either

I rarely shop at Safeway... it's too expensive. Now I have even more reason not to go. But I don't do Walmart meat and there's really no other choice here.

Walmart's can center is always clogged with folks that come in pickups loaded with cans and then take 10 carts into the can center. I don't do cans anymore either. I just give them to the kids that come round fundraising.

Safeway is a proud sponsor of Bloomberg's shill groups MDA and Everytown. They are, predictably, gun-free zones.

Since I saw their logo displayed on MDA's Facebook page a few years ago I started shopping at Freddy's or W*M and have been inside a Safeway twice... maybe.

Yes, I am armed.
Yes, I saw your sign.
Yes, I can read.
No, I don't care.
Yes, I am kind of a jerk.
No, I don't care about that either

That's funny.... not that long ago I saw a guy OCing in safeway and not one person said anything or even looked at him sideways. This happens on a regular basis.
Then again, in my town it's not uncommon to see people OC, even at our mini DMV.

Ray

Last Edited:
That's funny.... not that long ago I saw a guy OCing in safeway and not one person said anything or even looked at sideways. This happens on a regular basis.
Then again, in my town it's not uncommon to see people OC, even at our mini DMV.
Good. Maybe the corporate virtue signaling falls short of implementation by the time it filters down to the store level.

I also carry in the DMV. I just do it concealed.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top