JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, what is it? In case you don't know, HD stands for Home Defense. I keep an AK next to my bed, a .38 revolver under my pillow, and a big bowie knife between my bed and the wall. The wifes got a .380 on her nightstand.

RIM00001-3.jpg

We keep some Glock 22s around the house for "homeland security" purposes as well as an ole Mossberg 500 12ga that lives under the bed.

wifes mosquito is next to the bed on her side, my AR propped up against the wall on my side. downstairs the 226 and its spare magazine lives underneath a coffee table filled with hydroshock goodness.

G19 in a bedside holster ( I have a child ) The M4gery used to live next to the bed, but I have a glcok light now so no need for a long gun. I usully keep the cruiser near the bed, it has 00buck and slugs loaded ever other one.

BIGFOOT

S&W m637 (.38 spl) in the nightstand, and loaded (but not chambered) Mossberg 590 12ga and Bushmaster M4A3 in rack next to night stand. The S&W is my need it RIGHT NOW gun (ie: wake up to someone in, or very near the bedroom somehow), as its the fastest and simplest to bring into action (DA, so only have to pull the trigger, and has no safety, as well as being WAY smaller than a rifle/shotgun, so maneuvering/wielding is a non-issue.).

The others are in the event I need to, or can, leave the room, or have a couple seconds to grab and chamber (IE: I hear a noise downstairs and go to investigate). I have it that way as the Mossberg and Bushmaster have higher capaicty, have mounted lights, and pack more punch, so they would be my preferred gun if I thought I may need to use one (also both have better sights, and longer sight radius BY FAR than the S&W, so that makes getting hits MUCH faster and easier, which is good, as only hits count).

Only reason I dont keep those 2 chambered with safety on is that the wife is not familiar with thier operation, and they are more of a "backup" thing anyways, so I'm just more comfortable from a safety standpoint making them not "as ready" to fire, and because they will only get used as time/circumstances permit, which easily allows the time to quickly chamber. Just my preferance, and is likely a non-issue and is just mental, but Thats how I do it. I feel the added tiny layer of safety outwieghs the added 1/2 second to chamber, especially since as said, they are more of a "secondary" weapon, as the S&W is 100% ready at all times, so it's not like I have nothing to use in an instant.

Only reason I dont keep those 2 chambered with safety on is that the wife is not familiar with thier operation, and they are more of a "backup" thing anyways, so I'm just more comfortable from a safety standpoint making them not "as ready" to fire, and because they will only get used as time/circumstances permit, which easily allows the time to quickly chamber. Just my preferance, and is likely a non-issue and is just mental, but Thats how I do it. I feel the added tiny layer of safety outwieghs the added 1/2 second to chamber, especially since as said, they are more of a "secondary" weapon, as the S&W is 100% ready at all times, so it's not like I have nothing to use in an instant.

So somebody doesn't pick up the weapon while you're sleeping and fire into your skull.

A good point, really, and something I honestly (not nessecarrily proud to admit) hadn't thought of.Good call, man. That wasnt my original reasoning, but it is definitely part of it now that you have pointed it out.Thanks Charles. :s0155:

And, for the halibut, heres a few pics of the items in question, since we all love gun pics....

BushmasterM4full.jpg
Mossberg590full.jpg
(that's my vintage '70's S&W branded holster for carry, I dont keep it in that in the nightstand.)
SWM637WITHHOLSTER.jpg

A good point, really, and something I honestly (not nessecarrily proud to admit) hadn't thought of.Good call, man. That wasnt my original reasoning, but it is definitely part of it now that you have pointed it out.Thanks Charles. :s0155:

I've always figured that if you must reach for your loaded weapon and fire from where you're sleeping - you should not be thinking about grabbing your pistol, and more about tackling whoever it is that has gotten so close to you.

As you said earlier regarding a chambered round, I have a similar mindset.
I'd rather insert a pre-loaded magazine from a different, yet close location and chamber a round. If they're already in the same room, it shouldn't be something to be wrestling over. You will most likely be killed with your own weapon, being groggy as the adrenaline just begins to kick in, and the intruder who has been high on adrenaline since before he even attempted to invade your property.

I have a slightly different home defense plan than the rest of everyone. Mine is a 3 stage defense plan.

Stage 1) Moose
Stage 2) George
Stage 3) Springfield 1911 and an 870

Moose and George are my rather large APBT's for those that haven't met them. No worries of not knowing there's an intruder before they are in my room! :s0114:

Seriously though, anyone that's really keen on having a good home defense plan is severely lacking without a good dog. When you're sleeping they're always alert and will wake you whenever there is a real concern. Moose is proving to be incredible at that the older he gets.

Wife fancies the 870. Her pistol is a P232, but she prefers going straight to the shotgun.

I've got an AR, but doubt I'd walk to the closet to get it. Probably stick with the XD9.

IMG_0826.jpg
IMG_0820.jpg
She's getting to love the AR. Maybe she'll switch to that and let me have the 870 back.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top