JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Lots of good ideas. I like cavalryman40's approach best - keep it simple. My G23 w/ M6 light is just out of reach, so I have to wake up to grab it. I carry another G23 daily, so there is no confusion with a different weapons system. I have a spare mag and a tactical light right there. My quarters are a little too small to maneuver a long gun, but there's one nearby just in case. I'll know if there is a break-in (details omitted for security reasons), and I'll use the M6 white light with laser dot for a very quick threat assessment before deciding to shoot. Even though ORS 161.219(2) allows me to use deadly physical force upon a burglar in a dwelling, State of Oregon v. Haro, 117 OrApp 147 (1992) requires that such use of deadly physical force be necessary. Thus the light.

Or actually has started to get back ON topic but this is Saw's second post, trying to take things seriously, and post responsibly so the Minister Of Fish Slap Dancing will give him a reprieve.

My PT-92 has the bedside place of honer for one simple reason, reliability! Over 4000 rounds now with not a single misfunction. When something goes bump in the night, I know I can go BANG right back at it. And being a 9mil handgun, danger of overpenetration into the plasma screen is pretty negligable

One of the largest Black Labs (long legs, 125 lbs) you've ever seen owns the fenced yard that surrounds the house. Combat Masterpiece (pre model 15) in the drawer under my bed (waterbed) and an SKS behind the bedroom door. Also a Bianchi nightstick in the corner.

Minister Of Fish Slap Dancing

Ah, Minister of Silly Walks, you are a Python fan. One of my favorite bits was the bewigged judge ruling, "I find the defendant not guilty." Then the bobbleheaded prosecutor (Eric Idle, I think) protests, "But My Lord . . ." And the judge says as he brings down the gavel, "Very well, five years."

Actually, this isn't such a bad reminder of the capricousness of those who administer the law. Everything you do with firearms - bedstand, carry, number of guns, choice of ammo, use of force protocols, etc. - needs an articulable rationale based on law. If your turn in the barrel comes, you'll want to survive the legal aftermath.

As if making the shoot-no shoot decision wasn't bad enough in itself, there is the reality that someone once summed up with:

"Shoot somebody and get ready for the Hassle Of Your Life."
-Might have been Chuck Taylor (?) or Massad Ayoob (?)- probably both.

Have a good liability policy and attorney you trust ain't bad, either.

Ah, Minister of Silly Walks, you are a Python fan. One of my favorite bits was the bewigged judge ruling, "I find the defendant not guilty." Then the bobbleheaded prosecutor (Eric Idle, I think) protests, "But My Lord . . ." And the judge says as he brings down the gavel, "Very well, five years."

Actually, this isn't such a bad reminder of the capricousness of those who administer the law. Everything you do with firearms - bedstand, carry, number of guns, choice of ammo, use of force protocols, etc. - needs an articulable rationale based on law. If your turn in the barrel comes, you'll want to survive the legal aftermath.

If I could, I'd use my mother-in-law as a first line of defense. That woman will talk your ear right off.

But aside from locked doors and windows, sticks in all the windows as well (we rent), I keep a Kimber CDP .45 on the night stand next to me and the wife has her pepper spray. She is gradually warming up to the idea that there are guns in the house, so until I can ease her into shooting, that's our best compromise so far. This month I'll be buying a Benelli Nova pump 12 gauge as well.

I do not have a gun in my nightstand any more. I do have this under the edge of my bed. It is a Remington "Home Defender." :)

Shottie.jpg

I'll show anyone what I have if they can get by my Red Nose Pitbull that sleeps between me and the door. She's a sweetheart if I let you in the door, but not a fan of people entering the house unannounced!

IMG_7123-2.jpg

I've got several stashed around the homestead, but my main HD weapons are a G30SF (in the nightstand in a locked box....I have kids) a few 12 Gauge 870's and a AK mag fed SKS. Not to mention a few 100 plus pound dogs that do NOT like anyone sniffing around the property. Luckily I've never been burglarized. :s0155:

Kimber Pro CDP II in a GunVault on top of the nightstand. Reload and a Surefire L5 right next to the vault.

Good thing too..............had to use it last November (no shot, just aimed center mass at the guy in my entry at 2a.m. holding the knife). And that's for another thread. All's well that ends well.

Yeah, I'm on my second female German Shorthair for a family alarm dog. For some reason very protective of their property, maybe in their genes. Mine is 10.5 years old, and lets ya know of trespassers from way beyond sight or hearing of humans. There is plenty of time to arm yourself of a weapon of choice!!! Different warning bark for each type of alarm.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top