JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you drive exclusively in the left lane when traveling any four lane divided highway you might be a native Oregonian.

If you think building more roads in urban areas is stupid, you might be a native Oregonian.

If you spend your days sitting on your deadass waiting for something to protest, you might be a native Oregonian.

If you stay home from work because it snowed 1/4", you might be a native Oregonian.

If you have more than 7 medical marijuana cards, you might be a native Oregonian.

If you do not know how to operate a gas pump, you might be a native Oregonian.

If you think WD40 should have an SPF rating, you might be a native Oregonian.

If you have to continually apply Moss Away to your taint, you might be a native Oregonian.

I don't know how someone can blindly thump their chest at being a 'native Oregonian' if they've never even left the Oregon hometown they were born in. How do you compare it with other states? How do you know it is the best? I've lived in 9 states and chose Oregon as the state I preferred to live in because I found it to be the overall nicest. I've also been here the longest (22 years).

Florida was great but there are too many cockroaches.

Illinois had terrible water.

California was, well, 'too California', even in the 80s.

Washington comes really, really close. They have an awesome high desert.

Connecticut and Pennsylvania were too drab and dreary most of the year.

New Jersey has Patterson...'nuff said'.

Keith

If you drive exclusively in the left lane when traveling any four lane divided highway you might be a native Oregonian.

If you think building more roads in urban areas is stupid, you might be a native Oregonian.

If you spend your days sitting on your deadass waiting for something to protest, you might be a native Oregonian.

If you stay home from work because it snowed 1/4", you might be a native Oregonian.

If you have more than 7 medical marijuana cards, you might be a native Oregonian.

If you do not know how to operate a gas pump, you might be a native Oregonian.

If you think WD40 should have an SPF rating, you might be a native Oregonian.

If you have to continually apply Moss Away to your taint, you might be a native Oregonian.

If I actually cared about major league soccer I might mention something about last night's Sounders win over the Timbers. But I don't so I won't.

Brutus Out:p

Born here, die here!

PS: Thanks Reggie! I'm going to try that Mossaway treatment!

Dont forget rust preventative.

Interesting question, "what is an Oregonian?"

I've been in this state my entire adult life (25 years) and I'm always bemused by the "Natives" chest thumping on who is in the club and not in the club. For a state that is only 150 or so years old with little sense of history to be so concerned about their heritage is a little comical.

Why do I feel this way? As a kid I lived in Charleston SC where the same families have lived in the same houses for 300 years and in England where many pubs and businesses are over 500 years old. Maybe this gave me more of a sense of the depth of history and tradition. With that said, the only folks that should truly talk about being a native Oregonian is a member of the Paiute, Grand Rhonde, Siletze, Umatilla, Klamath or other tribes. The rest of us are relative newcomers in comparison. Maybe in another 150 years when we have more of distinct culture or an accent then we can talk about being Native Oregonians.

Hey Caveman, my FIL lived in Grays Harbor area, Pre St. Helen's loosing her cool... ;) He ran a yard care business, out of a back pack, and his clients big tools, with a News Paper Ad that said "to busy to come in out of the RAIN" and his name, phone number! He would accept all landscaping business, including Tree Care, which he subbed out to me, his SIL. Now that there Is A WahsingBubblegumedTonion!

philip
Who just noticed where you be...

Philip, that was before my time here on the Harbor, moved here in 1996. I do know that there are many ways for different people to run business here and some are questionable but some are just down right ingenious... Take care brother.

I don't know how someone can blindly thump their chest at being a 'native Oregonian' if they've never even left the Oregon hometown they were born in. How do you compare it with other states? How do you know it is the best? I've lived in 9 states and chose Oregon as the state I preferred to live in because I found it to be the overall nicest. I've also been here the longest (22 years).

Florida was great but there are too many cockroaches.

Illinois had terrible water.

California was, well, 'too California', even in the 80s.

Washington comes really, really close. They have an awesome high desert.

Connecticut and Pennsylvania were too drab and dreary most of the year.

New Jersey has Patterson...'nuff said'.

Keith

But Keith, you live in Portland FGS!!! Not too many Native Oregonians even consider Portland to be in OREGON (by God).... Just sayin....

I've been in this state my entire adult life (25 years) and I'm always bemused by the "Natives" chest thumping on who is in the club and not in the club. For a state that is only 150 or so years old with little sense of history to be so concerned about their heritage is a little comical.

Why do I feel this way? As a kid I lived in Charleston SC where the same families have lived in the same houses for 300 years and in England where many pubs and businesses are over 500 years old. Maybe this gave me more of a sense of the depth of history and tradition. With that said, the only folks that should truly talk about being a native Oregonian is a member of the Paiute, Grand Rhonde, Siletze, Umatilla, Klamath or other tribes. The rest of us are relative newcomers in comparison. Maybe in another 150 years when we have more of distinct culture or an accent then we can talk about being Native Oregonians.

Yeah, you DO realize that the country of England is centuries older than the state of Oregon right? And you DO realize that the east coast of America was colonized before the Oregon Territory right? It sort of stands to reason that Oregon is younger than either of those areas. Does this mean our history and tradition are somehow diminished simply because we're younger? What nonsense.

They walked in to what would become Oregon about 12 to 14,000 years ago. Before you slap yourselves too much on the back remember Oregon was for all intents and purposes a slave state before the Civil War. You could legally own slaves and don't even get me started on Knights of the Golden Circle activities. I am glad ya'all are fond of your state. I am of mine and I have lived in a few other states. Just finis that dadgum roadblock at the Columbia keeping the Kalifornians OUT!:s0114:

Brutus Out

But Keith, you live in Portland FGS!!! Not too many Native Oregonians even consider Portland to be in OREGON (by God).... Just sayin....

Portland, Eugene and now Bend are imports, not considered part of the state anymore. :D:D They are lib cult centers.
People that badmouth Oregon are just jealous they dont live here :)

I was born and raised in NE Portland. I never moved any further than Alberta to Powell, 82nd Ave. to Union(MLK if you're new.) until earlier this year. I've been waiting to get to this part of the state for quite a while and I'm glad I'm here. I will die here.

I have travelled all over the country. I can't say anything for life outside the States, but I have spent quite a bit of time in Chicago, California, Utah, Seattle, Idaho, Detroit and other spots around the US. I have seen enough to know that Oregon is the greatest place in the country. I wouldn't need to torture myself by living in hell to know that I am already in paradise.

I would like to add that Portland is destroying an otherwise great state. Why would the city with the greatest water in the world insist on poisoning it with flouride? Even better, when the people voted it down, the nannies decided they would find a way to get it in anyway. Still, compared to other metropolitan areas, Portland simply has nicer people than other cities. I would take Portland over any other big city in the country.

We have it good in Oregon and the fact that outsiders try very hard to be one of us is a testament to that. I am as proud to be a native Oregonian as a Texan is to be from Texas.

Well guess that native sticks then, great grandmother was Paiute.
The rest settled here to get away from the east and from repression in Europe.

Yeah, you DO realize that the country of England is centuries older than the state of Oregon right? And you DO realize that the east coast of America was colonized before the Oregon Territory right? It sort of stands to reason that Oregon is younger than either of those areas. Does this mean our history and tradition are somehow diminished simply because we're younger?

In a word, "Yes". Upto the 1940s there was very little relative mobility in the population. People tended to remain in the same location for centuries thus allowing the development of a unique cultural identity. The longer the history, the deeper the cultural identity. Add that to the destabilizing effects of mass migration (i.e. depression/WWII) along with the nationalization of our culture through the media and you further reduce the ability of Oregon to develop a unique cultural identity compared to other, more eastern states. For example, since the use of phonics in the education system standardized the language, there is actually almost no discernable Oregoinan accent. I would ask, what you think are unique elements of Oregon's culture (and the Civil war or Rose festival don't really count)?

I moved here 11 yrs ago from So.Cal, but my wife and kids are all Oregon born and raised. So what does that make me? :huh:

I consider myself a Naturalized Oregonian, even if I married into it, lol. Once in a while I go to California to visit and can't stand it. Last time I could not stop laughing at all the stupid signs plastered all over the place about how the state of CA has determined it has chemicals known to cause cancer. What a waste. Don't miss much about it other than my parents.

And no, I did not come here to radicalize Oregon with my California ideals (isn't that what everyone is worried about?). Heck, I can't even stand going to Portland. I like living simple, humble, and free from constant pressure from the government to act the way they think I should.

I moved here 11 yrs ago from So.Cal, but my wife and kids are all Oregon born and raised. So what does that make me?

I would say SANE is what it makes you. Just remember the Columbia was put there by God to keep you and yours on your side and me and mines, on my side.
Yes Orygun is great but the great state named after our first President is greater! WHY, We get OUR Concealed Pistol Licenses in DAYS not months with no bubblegum!

Brutus Out.

I moved here 11 yrs ago from So.Cal, but my wife and kids are all Oregon born and raised. So what does that make me?

I would say SANE is what it makes you. Just remember the Columbia was put there by God to keep you and yours on your side and me and mines, on my side.
Yes Orygun is great but the great state named after our first President is greater! WHY, We get OUR Concealed Pistol Licenses in DAYS not months with no bubblegum!

Brutus Out.

Lately it seems Kalifornians fly past Oregon and land in Seattle. :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top