JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So I am not a AK guy. I have owned a few (I guess really I own one now but I haven't seen it in years) But I have never really been smitten with them or cared to learn everything there is to know.

So with that being said I really want to try my hand and building one.

I have a polish underfolder kit with a unpopulated barrel and a flat. That is going to be a second or third project.

First project is I bought one of PSA's barreled receivers and parts kit.

The PSA bits I dumped close to $800 bucks on by the time you get shipping lumped on. A lot of dough to me for build your own AK.

I figured I should probably buy a couple of quality mags for these things and it occurred to me that I didn't even know where to start. I remember discussion about some highly sought after ones but that's about the extent of it.

So? What should I throw my money at?

All said and done I LOVE the Chinese mags, they don't have the "spine" (basically a standing seam) at the rear that the euro-eastern-block mags have.

If you want, I'll go out to the shop to open the safe and shoot some side by side photos so you can compare.... LMK.

Last Edited:
Some polish mags would run nicely, as would Hungarian or a list of others.

I gotta admit I'm a AK mag snob and it drives me nuts when the mags wobble all over the place. Don't get me wrong I got some of em, but I love a nice tight fit.:D

I like to try different flavors and all have been reliable, which is what makes the AK so great :)

Surplus steel you cant go wrong.

The best cheapest surplus (right now)
Romanian mags. $10-20

Sure, hungarians are out there but you cant tell the functional difference.

Same function and durability goes for any surplus steel mags.
Right not Aim has some actual russian mags with removable limiters for $20

The croation and new bulgarian mags with polymer followers arent too bad either. Cheap for now, if available.

Norincos are more collector items than anything as are a few others. Surplus steel mags should never cost more than $15-20 outside of a "panic" dont buy into "function" hype.. If they work, they work like ALL the rest.
If its "rare" you're paying for just the collectability.
Hungarian 20 rounders are hard as hell to find.. And they're only 20rnds.. So dont overpay..
Focus on condition of the mag body itself. All the other parts can be replaced.

American steel AK mags
(All that Ive tried sucked) some work.. But go with surplus.

Circle 10 waffle $30-50

Toth tool (tested not owned, yet) $25

US palm $30

Bakelites $40-70
(but these are more collectable than hard use worthy and can crack if dropped unless you luck out and get some that have steel infused feed lips.. Even then, they can crack.

And MAYBE the 2nd gen Pmags. $25
Not available "yet".

Tapco $8-10

Bulgarian clear and bullet mags.
The bullets can have steel feedlips but do not have reinforced lugs/spine.
$10-20

^^^These mags work, and are cheap, but know they arent SHTF mags. Know you can train with them, take them to class and they'll probably stand up.. if they break salvage the spring, floor plate or what ever you can and toss the rest and buy more.
But because they arent reinforced they will crack. Ive cracked them all be it the feed lips, rear lug or the floorplate.

And of course there are odd ball no name mags plinker tactical for example.. There are others.. Just stay away. If you want a cheap poly mag just go with a tapco or Pmag.

AKs are all I shot and collected for a few years. Any questions just PM me.
Mag wobble doesnt bubbleguming matter. It'll feed just fine, its a bubbleguming AK. The tighter the fit the harder the quick reload..
Most of that has to do with the type of receiver NOT the mag. AK mags like with AKs have a varying level of spec.

Last Edited:
I have a handful of PMags that I picked up for $10 each...they have always functioned flawlessly and are lighter than the steel mags. I refuse to pay the ridiculous prices of the "quality" surplus mags. Just my $0.02

Cannot beat these two options:

Yugo bolt hold open surplus mags: $12

http://www.sgammo.com/product/762x3...aries-good-excellent-cleaned-grease-yugoslavi

Tapco smooth side (bakelite substitute) $6, for a fraction of the cost. although not as cool as original still gives you the look, minus the color.

<broken link removed>

I have run both with zero issue in my M92. No slop!!!

Yeah the Tapco's look the part but they'll only fit after you shave them down a bit. I tossed all the Tapcos I had.

Tapco smooth side (bakelite substitute) $6, for a fraction of the cost. although not as cool as original still gives you the look, minus the color.

Minus the reinforced steel locking lugs.

The reason I dislike the yugo BHO is its an AR guy fad. They arent at all different from any other surplus mag.

And whatsmore, you can buy a follower to cause the same stoppage.
Bodywise, its the same as any other steel surplus.

Sure, the bangwiz idea of a BHO mag is neat, but the operation of the AK doesnt require nor is designed to hold the bolt back upon empty. So you're still going to have to charge the rifle anyway, unless you do an Iraqi reload.. Which you could have done with a standard mag. However in class, its just easier to use a standard mag for reloads.

Now, just bench shooting, sure.. But its still a novelty at best. That being said, I own a few sure.

Yeah the Tapco's look the part but they'll only fit after you shave them down a bit. I tossed all the Tapcos I had.

I did not have to shave mine but I have read several reports where it was necessary. Specs are very loose and not "universal" when speaking AK.

I am in the same school of thought though when it comes to polymer mags ( lighter, less sharp edges, ect)

now only if they would make a PMAG 2o round mag!!!!!

I did not have to shave mine but I have read several reports where it was necessary. Specs are very loose and not "universal" when speaking AK.

I am in the same school of thought though when it comes to polymer mags ( lighter, less sharp edges, ect)

now only if they would make a PMAG 2o round mag!!!!!

Why 20-rounders?

Sold this one last week but gives you an idea.

IMG_20150829_162059_028.jpg IMG_20150829_161236_392.jpg

Just by a SKS and put a 20rds on it o_O
Not an AK guy are we?
The AK is far more modular and adaptive.

Cheap stock sets for the SKS dont cut it, secondly those duckbill mags arent battle proven.. Sure, steel ones are out there.. But fixed from what Ive seen. So that leaves plastic mags right? Id rather have a few Hungarian tanker mags than a potential finicky fixed mag. That and you have the ability to switch to 30, 40 and 75.
Sure, a drum for the SKS is out there, but really? Haha.

I've taken classes with my AK and always ran the 30's. I like the fact that they are larger so there is more to grab onto for mag changes. When I was in CA...it drove me nuts trying to do mag changes on those pesky 10's.
To each his own...my thought..."give me 10 less rounds in the magazine" - said no one ever

Not an AK guy are we?
The AK is far more modular and adaptive.

Cheap stock sets for the SKS dont cut it, secondly those duckbill mags arent battle proven.. Sure, steel ones are out there.. But fixed from what Ive seen. So that leaves plastic mags right? Id rather have a few Hungarian tanker mags than a potential finicky fixed mag. That and you have the ability to switch to 30, 40 and 75.
Sure, a drum for the SKS is out there, but really? Haha.

Hope you realize I was not being serious ? ;)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top