JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a little different take on this subject, having seriously decreased my inventory in recent years.

I used to be really into surplus ammo back when it was really cheap. Then one day some years back, I had to pick up and move. I came to realize that I had a ridiculous amount of ammo that I was simply never going to use. Over the next few years I got rid of most of it.

Nowadays I only keep on hand a reasonable amount that I'm likely to use in the foreseeable future. I'm not a survivalist. I'm not a prepper. I still probably have more than I really "need", but I don't hoard it anymore. I did stock up a bit when powder and .22 ammo became readily available again, but from the posts I see here, I think I'm a rank amateur compared to some of you all!

Quite a bit but not quite enough.

EDIT: I did finally take an inventory last year and have been trying to keep it up to date. Made a little spread sheet on my computing device. :)

Last Edited:
I have no idea how many finished rounds I have. It's too much trouble to try to quantify an amount. I do keep inventory records of my reloading components because I try to keep them in balance.

Lately I've been having thoughts about this. One, this year I will enter my 70th year and how much ammo am I going to need to provision myself beyond that age. Which involves how long I may live, and how long I may be an active shooter. Two, how much longer are we going to have adequate places to shoot in the region. Three, what kind of laws may come along to restrict my use of and commerce with ammunition items.

So I've started moving some of it out.

On another note, I'll never forget an acquaintance telling me once of a widow bringing some guns into the gun shop to put on consignment. She told him that there was a "truckload" of ammo that they had taken to the "police" for disposal, and some "reloading stuff" that they had taken to the dump.

One man's treasure is often his heir's trash. :(

On another note, I'll never forget an acquaintance telling me once of a widow bringing some guns into the gun shop to put on consignment. She told him that there was a "truckload" of ammo that they had taken to the "police" for disposal, and some "reloading stuff" that they had taken to the dump.

One man's treasure is often his heir's trash. :(
Thats why you train your children to shoot.

Quite a bit but not quite enough.

EDIT: I did finally take an inventory last year and have been trying to keep it up to date. Made a little spread sheet on my computing device. :)
I started an Excel spreadsheet about four years ago and never quite finished with some of my ammo, particularly 7.62x39, .38 Special reloads from my Dad (MHRIP), .41 AE and shotgun ammo. The ones that I have in the spreadsheet are kept up to date, including on hand, shot and specifications.

I also need to add a tab for reloading supplies - too many small pistol and not enough large pistol primers. I really need to keep better track.

She told him that there was a "truckload" of ammo that they had taken to the "police" for disposal, and some "reloading stuff" that they had taken to the dump.

Sign out in front of a local gun shop, "We will dispose of old ammo for you." And sometimes a widow or heir comes by and drops some off to get rid of it.

I've imparted to my family members the values of various things. They know that every object in my garage and rec room had some value or it wouldn't be there. I'm bringing my grandson into the picture and he's getting ideas about stuff.

I also need to add a tab for reloading supplies - too many small pistol and not enough large pistol primers. I really need to keep better track.

I had my son set up Excell logs for me re. reloading components. Once the initial data is put in, it isn't much trouble to keep them up. I have pages and pages by caliber. This way I can maintain a pretty clear picture of how supplies balance out, where I'm getting top-heavy or short, that sort of thing. I've had plans of doing the same thing for finished ammo but it hasn't happened yet. I started with .30-06 and never got past that and the ammo still kept coming in. Now the flow is shut off and I may have some chance of catching up. There's only so much time in life, you don't want to spend too much of it on intense detail like this.

At nearly 70, I'm old now but my mom lasted until 96. One concept of hers sticks in my mind. "When you get to be my age, you don't want to waste what's left of your time standing in lines. The line has to lead to something really worthy for me to want to stand in it."

There's only so much time in life, you don't want to spend too much of it on intense detail like this.

I understand. I'm a couple decades your younger, but I'm starting to think that way myself. When I'm sitting in my little room where I have my gun and reloading stuff, I'm becoming more aware of just how much time I spend here tinkering and reloading. There are only so many hours in a day, and I have growing kids in the house that will be grown up and out on their own in not too many years. I'll spend some time in here after work and on weekends from time to time, but I've become more careful that my time here doesn't detract from time with the family.

Normal amount of ammo?

Whatever lets you sleep at night. Just like water, food or anything else you need to survive without governmental help for a period only you can describe.

I looked at my personal preps in light of this new virus, got serious, and am now the proud owner of a Remington 870 12 gauge pump with a laser sight. It's the first firearm I've ever purchased for the sole purpose of killing people (I'm otherwise a target guy), and I'm okay with that. I hope I never have to use it, but will if needed. 50 rounds of 00 buck plus 25 rounds of 1 oz. slugs. I'll be augmenting that shortly.

I also just purchased a 550 gallon water tank, because where I am, if the power goes out the well don't pump. I'll sleep well tonight knowing that in a day or so I'll have water security for a moderate event.

So, to answer your question, I have 40,000 rounds in what I shoot, plus the ability to reload another 3,000 to 4,000 rounds. It fills various potential needs from game to home defense.

We each do what allows us to sleep at night. I sleep pretty well.

I inventoried mine before moving last spring and came to the realization that I was going to need at least another lifetime to shoot it all up. Shortly after sold all my reloading equipment and components.

If you see any good deals on 357 mag let me know though. :)

My UPS guy knows the dogs names :s0140:

LOL, my UPS guy watches my GSDs barking and lunging at him on their side of the gate. I try to make it a point not to let my dogs get too familiar with service visitors - or they'd see how friendly they are. That said, I have no doubt that anyone who meant harm would be hurt. GSDs are tough, smart and courageous animals.

LOL, my UPS guy watches my GSDs barking and lunging at him on their side of the gate. I try to make it a point not to let my dogs get too familiar with service visitors - or they'd see how friendly they are. That said, I have no doubt that anyone who meant harm would be hurt. GSDs are tough, smart and courageous animals.
All 3 of the dogs still act like they want to eat the poor guy even though he knows their name. It's just funny to see him calling them by name he comes so often. Of course 2 of the dogs weigh 4 pounds and the "big one" is 12 pounds and 14 years old, so none of them are much of a threat to anyone. Good alarms as the young ones seem to hear EVERYTHING that gets near the house :D Poor old guy can barely see or hear anymore. His nose still works great. He can be upstairs under the covers and if I open some food I hear him thumping down the stairs :s0140:

All 3 of the dogs still act like they want to eat the poor guy even though he knows their name. It's just funny to see him calling them by name he comes so often. Of course 2 of the dogs weigh 4 pounds and the "big one" is 12 pounds and 14 years old, so none of them are much of a threat to anyone. Good alarms as the young ones seem to hear EVERYTHING that gets near the house :D Poor old guy can barely see or hear anymore. His nose still works great. He can be upstairs under the covers and if I open some food I hear him thumping down the stairs :s0140:

My dogs are nearly as old (in dog years) as I am, but they still have ears like sonar operators in submarine movies. Couple that with the small female at 85 lbs. (and not fat) and the uncut male at 100lbs (also not fat) and they present a pretty formidable pair, unless my two year old grandson is here, in which case they turn into puppies for him.

Not everywhere does the UPS guy have such a non-nonchalant attitude about ORM-D packages. For a while there I had a UPS guy tell a family member who was receiving packages for me, in a rude accusatory tone, that 'he knew what was in there and that we were dangerous people.'

He left unharmed, how dangerous could we possibly be?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top