JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Really? I was told a long time ago to use about a tablespoon so that's what I've done.

Yes, really.

Just buy some PPU or MENS ammo. They shine the brass cases somehow.

PPU 17

82829061-CB5C-4166-9201-836767BFCAC3.jpeg

I don't know about 50, but Ive ran .223, and .308 in a tumbler overnight in walnut media with a little bit of brasso and a couple used dryer sheets and they turned out great.
Dump the brasso! It contains ammonia which causes embrittlement and cracking of brass. Try Flitz.

As to tumbling loaded ammo, you are not "supposed to." However, if you use a plastic chamber (Folger's Coffee plastic container) in a rotary tumbler, fill it with media so that the movement of the rounds is limited. The risk of a primer being struck with sufficient force to detonate it is virtually impossible. The easily burstable plastic container is a second safeguard.

I have never used a vibratory tumbler so cannot render an opinion there. Maybe SAAMI would have some direction in that regard. There used to a a national reloading manufacturers' association, but it seems to have gone defunct.

Dump the brasso! It contains ammonia which causes embrittlement and cracking of brass. Try Flitz.

As to tumbling loaded ammo, you are not "supposed to." However, if you use a plastic chamber (Folger's Coffee plastic container) in a rotary tumbler, fill it with media so that the movement of the rounds is limited. The risk of a primer being struck with sufficient force to detonate it is virtually impossible. The easily burstable plastic container is a second safeguard.

I have never used a vibratory tumbler so cannot render an opinion there. Maybe SAAMI would have some direction in that regard. There used to a a national reloading manufacturers' association, but it seems to have gone defunct.
I don't see a tumbler generating anywhere near the force that a firing pin does. Also, outside a chamber, even a 50 BMG isn't going to send a projectile flying across the room. It might shoot the brass a few feet, and would probably do some damage to the tumbler, but that's all I would expect. But of course you should use your own judgement. FWIW, I've had live ammo make it into the tumbler a couple of times and nothing happened after hours of tumbling.

Tumbling live loaded ammo....... jeez. :rolleyes:
Do you reload? Everyone I know who reloads always does this to remove the lube used during the reloading process. I respect your opinion but see a tendency to always have the "ONLY RIGHT" opinion. This applies to all subjects you get involved in, even glocks, lol. I'm not starting something here, just have been observing for quite some time now and notice things.

I don't see a tumbler generating anywhere near the force that a firing pin does. Also, outside a chamber, even a 50 BMG isn't going to send a projectile flying across the room. It might shoot the brass a few feet, and would probably do some damage to the tumbler, but that's all I would expect. But of course you should use your own judgement. FWIW, I've had live ammo make it into the tumbler a couple of times and nothing happened after hours of tumbling.
Am talking about firing and resizing the cases. Brittle brass leads to neck and body splits. The Brits found out the hard way that ammonia attacks brass.

This is the first I've heard of it. NOBODY I know tumbles after loading. If you have that much lube left over, perhaps less lube is in order. A quick wipe with a paper towel takes care of any excess I've encountered.
FWIW, I haven't had any problems caused by tumbling loaded ammo, mind I've only been doing it ~30 years.

Do you reload? Everyone I know who reloads always does this to remove the lube used during the reloading process. I respect your opinion but see a tendency to always have the "ONLY RIGHT" opinion. This applies to all subjects you get involved in, even glocks, lol. I'm not starting something here, just have been observing for quite some time now and notice things.
I'm not the only one here advising against it. And yup, I state my opinions, just like everyone else.

Interesting reading here, arguments for both sides in the comments:

I thought this comment from Hodgdon was interesting:

RE: Tumbling Loaded Ammo
Tue, March 2, 2010 10:04:34 AMFrom: Dave Campbell Add to Contacts
To: Dave

——————————————————————————–

It is the policy of Hodgdon Powder Co. to recommend against ever tumbling or vibrating loaded or reloaded ammunition. Vibration for even short
periods of time may degrade propellants or change their burn characteristics. Vibrating propellants may cause coatings to wear off and edges or
ends to erode.

Dave Campbell
Ballistician/ Customer Service
Hodgdon Powder Company Family of Propellants:
Hodgdon Smokeless Powders, The Brand That's True
IMR Legendary Powders
Winchester Smokeless Powders, For Loading Professionals
Pyrodex
Triple7
Goex Black Powder
White Hots
http://www.hodgdon.com
913-362-9455 ext. 117
[email protected]

This from RCBS too, page 2 of their Vibratory Case Polisher manual:

DANGER! DO NOT TUMBLE/CLEAN CARTRIDGE CASES OR AMMUNITION CONTAINING LIVE PRIMERS AND/OR POWDER. The vibrating action of the Case Polisher can break down the structure of the powder kernels and priming mix. This may lead to an unsafe ignition of the cartridge or possible misfire.

From the horse's mouth, not too sure how anyone can argue this with more than "I've been doing it for years".

Interesting reading here, arguments for both sides in the comments:

I thought this comment from Hodgdon was interesting:

RE: Tumbling Loaded Ammo
Tue, March 2, 2010 10:04:34 AMFrom: Dave Campbell Add to Contacts
To: Dave

——————————————————————————–

It is the policy of Hodgdon Powder Co. to recommend against ever tumbling or vibrating loaded or reloaded ammunition. Vibration for even short
periods of time may degrade propellants or change their burn characteristics. Vibrating propellants may cause coatings to wear off and edges or
ends to erode.

Dave Campbell
Ballistician/ Customer Service
Hodgdon Powder Company Family of Propellants:
Hodgdon Smokeless Powders, The Brand That's True
IMR Legendary Powders
Winchester Smokeless Powders, For Loading Professionals
Pyrodex
Triple7
Goex Black Powder
White Hots
http://www.hodgdon.com
913-362-9455 ext. 117
[email protected]

This from RCBS too, page 2 of their Vibratory Case Polisher manual:

DANGER! DO NOT TUMBLE/CLEAN CARTRIDGE CASES OR AMMUNITION CONTAINING LIVE PRIMERS AND/OR POWDER. The vibrating action of the Case Polisher can break down the structure of the powder kernels and priming mix. This may lead to an unsafe ignition of the cartridge or possible misfire.

From the horse's mouth, not too sure how anyone can argue this with more than "I've been doing it for years".
Never thought of that. Makes a lot of sense.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top