JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just got a case of linked ammo in at an affordable price, $3 per bullet.

What is a good simple way of cleaning these up. They are going to be used in a bolt action rifle, so I'm thinking cleaning the brass will help when it comes to extracting rounds and keeping the rifle cleaner...

Thank you.

(The picture shows 50bmg, 50 Beowulf, and 223)

20210419_183216.jpg 20210419_183212.jpg

I don't know about 50, but Ive ran .223, and .308 in a tumbler overnight in walnut media with a little bit of brasso and a couple used dryer sheets and they turned out great.

Is it dirt or patina? If it's the first, a rag. The second, shoot em.

Came in a sealed 50cal can
If it's just the natural patina of the alloy, there won't be any difference in function. Rim still does its job to extract and the patina won't make anything dirtier than shiny brass.

Just pulled the links off, wiped them down with cotton shop towels while wearing gloves, and put them back in the case... Roughly 1/5 of them are Tracer rounds.

I would recommend not wasting time trying to polish or wax or any other process on rounds intended to be fired. It's unnecessary for functional fire.

I would recommend not wasting time trying to polish or wax or any other process on rounds intended to be fired. It's unnecessary for functional fire.
Still got about 2 months before my rifle is built and shipped...

Having inexpensive pretty brass was an idea...

Still got about 2 months before my rifle is built and shipped...

Having inexpensive pretty brass was an idea...
I understand the idea. But besides looking pretty it doesn't do anything besides possibly compromise the powder with polish. I know the chances are slim but "pretty ammunition" is irrelevant.

DO NOT use Brasso or any brass/bronze polish or tarnish remover that has ammonia in it - it weakens the brass.
Really? I was told a long time ago to use about a tablespoon so that's what I've done. I've never had any issues so far, but I'm not using very much or applying it directly to cases. It's a tablespoon or so soaked into a full hopper of walnut shell. I wonder how much polish gets soaked up by the 2 dryer sheets i put in with each round of brass.
What do you recommend instead?...

I wouldn't under normal circumstances, but with Ammo shortage, there is a lot of old surplus stuff showing up. I got a bunch that had so much patina, that it was no longer smooth to the touch, and a few had started corroding...
I didn't want to run anything that dirty through my semi auto's... A good tumble smoothed and shined them up, and exposed the rounds that were starting to pit.

wish I had a before, but this is a few after... most came out like the far left, but now the bad ones are easy to spot.. I'll pull the projos and scrap the rest.
F4CE0C54-964A-4A95-944E-5B406A987802.jpeg

Came in a sealed 50cal can
If you are referring to the dark area around the necks that is discoloration from fire forming the brass. The ammo you bought is for a specific gun and may not be very accurate in the bolt action, basically plinker ammo. The 4 ball 1 trcr is OK but the tracer is a no go in the woods so keep that in mind.

If you are referring to the dark area around the necks that is discoloration from fire forming the brass. The ammo you bought is for a specific gun and may not be very accurate in the bolt action, basically plinker ammo. The 4 ball 1 trcr is OK but the tracer is a no go in the woods so keep that in mind.
I got the one that included tracer should I ever find a place to use it...

Most my shooting will probably be inside 500yds, more of a dream caliber for the collection...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top