JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
MOST 22s are like pizza,they are all good,just some are a little better.
(didn't read all posts)

So we should ask which are BAD,don't buy,cause I have had quite a few different 22s and even the cheapos shot pretty well and were fun.

Oh you are correct, it is reliable (and as per the reviews online very accurate too), I never said it isn't. The thought among lots of people is that it's a dressed up 10/22 in an AR-like package but not a true AR, and thus can be had for cheaper if you buy a 10/22 and customize it rather than pay ~$470 for it. As I said, when I was buying, the advice I got was that if I want an "almost" real AR in 22lr then the S&W is a better buy.
My mistake. I was thinking we were talking about the new Ruger SR22 pistol since the OP asked about a "good plinker" in the in handgun section.

For what it's worth, since I already have a Spike's Tactical AR, if I wanted to shoot 22LR with it, I'd probably buy a dedicated CMMG upper for it. That would cost less than $400.

I have a Ruger 22/45 that is kicks! If you want to get together some time to shoot it, let me know. I know of a place up here above Washougal. Of course we need to wait for the rain to stop.....

Where in Washougal, I used to live off of N ST in the back/ top of the big development. My brother, mom and sister in law live there now. So we are out there all the time.

I would rather pay $400 for a gun that is made of metal and can shoot 4 inch groups out of a 5.5 inch barrel at 50 yards then one that has a 25 yard max accuracy and is made of plastic. That taurus revolver is nice but the one i have shot has spent a lot of time in the mail on its way to and from the factory . I guess its a good thing taurus has a good warranty. Yes there are less expensive 22 pistols then the ruger mark and browning buckmark . When quality and accuracy are important ruger mark is where its at.

I dunno if I would exclude Ruger from bad qc or accuracy issues... They have their problems, just like everybody. I myself have yet to have any problems other than my 22/45 was a PITA at first to field strip and clean the first few times. Heck, I still have a hard time once in a while. They are tricky, that is for sure.
Just an fyi, the lowers for the 22/45 are a plastic, but are pretty bomb proof from what I hear about them.

They can be pretty good for accuracy though. My uncle and his brother in law have mkii's with Tac. Solutions uppers and they can hit a 12 ga shell standing up at 100 yds with an Ultradot red dot sight.
I could do it with irons at about 35 yds, and a friend hit a clay pigeon at about 50 and only the second time ever shooting a gun for him.

I look at my purchase as money well spent, no matter what other people will say about them....

Also, check out rimfirecentral.com as well. Lots of pistol talk and plenty of opinions.

my first mark was a 22/45 and it was great but the metal lowers are better imo. I sold my second mark because of the breakdown but went back to the mark and got used to the process . I have had no problems with any of my 3 marks and i have shot at least 30k rounds between all 3.

Ok so which ones are bad?

That's my question. These guys have had a couple problems with their marks.If I think about it I could probably find some little problem with all my guns over the years.But most 22 I have had and sold,I sold just to get something else not because it was a POS.
I do recall a H&R 'single six' clone that had a rough trigger.But it went bang every time.
All 22 seem to not like 1 or 2 different shells and may not feed perfect,but some cheaper ammo has half charges in it,which would cause it to jam here and there.

You cant go wrong with a 10/22 or a 22/45 but if you are looking for something different I've always enjoyed my Savage Mark II. Easy to maintain, great quality, one of the best out of the box triggers for the price, and the bolt action is reliable and encourages more discipline when shooting instead of just doing mag dump after mag dump.

I use Ruger Mark III 22/45. I've put thousands of rounds through it, no problem. It likes cheap ammunition. I think I paid $275 brand new. It came w/ two magazines and a hard case.

The Ruger Marks are kind of a no-brainer. My only remaining decision is whether I'm going to get another one in stainless. When I bought a suppressor from Pat at Oregon Research Labs LLC in Vernonia, he threaded my blued Mark III Target for next to nothing! But I'm not a current customer, and now that Tornado isn't doing it any more, I'll have to look for a new place for threading - maybe Willamette Valley Arms in Hillsboro?
Oregon_Research_Labs-LLC
<broken link removed>

Alternatively, there are factory-threaded options like the ISSC M22. Some people say they've had FTF problems with them, but to a Glock guy the M22 is like a Ruger 22/45 is to you 1911 aficionados. That's why I'd also consider the Bersa .22, since it's a perfect copy of my Thunder .380.

It depends - is it for just plinking or for serious target shooting? As much as I like bullseye practice, reflex shooting is a more useful skill for me. But I also agree with the above poster that adjustable sights (like on the Ruger Mark Target) are almost a necessity.

A friend called me this morning and proudly told me about his new Beretta 87 Target .22 - that he paid a thousand bucks for!
<broken link removed>
I'd rather have three Ruger Marks, personally.

I been looking for the same thing I compared the Ruger SR22 , Ruger MarkIII , Ruger 22/45 and the Browning Buck Mark . After playing with them and reading lots of reviews I went with the Buck Mark it wasnt the cheapest but I think I will be very happy with it and will have something to pass on to my kid.

I love my GSG-5. You can get them for much cheaper now. Mags are easy to load. Shoots great and looks cool. Downside is its a bubblegum to clean. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A friend called me this morning and proudly told me about his new Beretta 87 Target .22 - that he paid a thousand bucks for!
<broken link removed>
I'd rather have three Ruger Marks, personally.
For a grand I think I'd buy a S&W model 41. But I don't see that anytime soon!

Eventually I'm going to "have to" buy a Mark III Hunter. The gun shop guys are getting tired of me drooling on their counters when I see one. :)

Don

1911 with a TacSol conversion from JC Weaponry
IMG_20110422_094808.jpg

G26 with threaded AA conversion
IMG_0162.jpg

AR22 pistol
IMG_0271.jpg

And somehow I have no pics of my buckmark wich has to be my favorite by far!!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top