JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Good advice.

I've always really liked that "Don't talk to the police" video. Even if you are 100% innocent, talking too much can only add to your chances of jail time. The prosecutor will have a record of it and it's his job to twist it into an admission of guilt. It's his job to pick apart any inadvertent contradictions or inconsistencies and make you look like you're lying.

i think the linked article is very bare bones and in a couple of places factually incorrect as well as not the best advice.

A much better comprehensive view is available from these guys, who ARE lawyers and specialize in this rather arcane area of law.

What Every Gun Owner Needs to Know About Self-Defense Law
The OP, while well meaning, left out a huge host of variables. The article is poorly written and has a few factual errors as well as IMO some rather bad advice (lawyering up in all cases).

According to the lawyer I trust most in these cases (a criminal lawyer with substantial experience in self-defense law) a bare-boned explanation is not going to hurt you and may well keep you from spending a pointless night in jail.

Remember in mpost cases, if you were at home and shot an intruder, there is very little likelihood you will even be considered for charges. Tell the cops where you were when you heard the sounds, what you saw when you took the shot, anything that the cops don't know about that you do (witnesses, tossed evidence, etc) and then tell them you don't want to make any further statement until after you've consulted with an attorney and had 24 hours to settle down.

Damn near every police agency in the country gives their officers 24 hours after a shooting before demanding a statement. Point this out and ask the same. (You're a lousy witness anyway right after the fact and any competent detective will grasp this).

I advise students to only lawyer up if there is no weapon apparent, the shootiong is outside of the home, or for some other reason they think the shooting might appear "questionable" to a hostile observer. In those cases, yes, it's far better to spend a night in jail than make a self-incriminating statement.

-As for calling all your relatives? Really? You were just (moments ago) in a fight for your life and you killed someone. Does anyone here really think it's likely that you're going to have the presence of mind to call your sister and tell her to STFU? -Neither do I. This is silly and frankly needless, especially in the moments after the shooting when you need to focus on police contact, getting your lawyer there ASAP and nothing else.

Don't expect a parade for your work after a shooting, heck even the police are forced to give up their badge and gun after a shooting until it is declared as justified.

1. After the shooting, the ONLY thing you say is "I was afraid for my life".
2. Then you lawyer-up.

I got that advice from a former neighbor who is retired LE/SWAT. I used to think the advice was a tad extreme... until I saw articles about some obvious home invasions (with a shooting) in the news, and various Snohomish County prosecutors implying that charges were under consideration against the home owner.

I'm getting really sick of the evolution to a nanny state in this country. Let's go back to a rope and a tree, and stop with paying for the person to be in prison for a lifetime and a burden on the taxpayers.

1. After the shooting, the ONLY thing you say is "I was afraid for my life".
2. Then you lawyer-up.

I got that advice from a former neighbor who is retired LE/SWAT. I used to think the advice was a tad extreme... until I saw articles about some obvious home invasions (with a shooting) in the news, and various Snohomish County prosecutors implying that charges were under consideration against the home owner.

I'm getting really sick of the evolution to a nanny state in this country. Let's go back to a rope and a tree, and stop with paying for the person to be in prison for a lifetime and a burden on the taxpayers.

Legal advice from a cop is one of the worst ideas around. There are ample sources out there compiled by attorneys who specialize in self-defense law. Some LEO's half-assed opinion means nothing unless he can show you his JD.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews