Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

What I'd really like is an AR-15 A1

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Ironbar, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Ironbar

Ironbar Tigard, OR Well-Known Member

I am so NOT a fan of these new-fangled, overblown, quad-rail, Swiss Army Knife AR builds. I think they look positively silly.

I love the clean lines of the A1 with the triangle fore grip. Can these still be had anywhere?

A1.jpg

orygun and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

Yeah you can still easily buy the uppers or the parts.

Why not go for the real original with even less lines? Colt SP-1 (top)

DSC04635.jpg

3. samuelm16

samuelm16 se pdx Well-Known Member

4. eldbillbo

eldbillbo clackamas New world samurai and a redneck none the less Bronze Supporter

The kits are all over the place get a kit, get a lower , get a semi FCG and there you have it.

I am going to post one for sale pretty soon to make room in my safe. i just need to swop out the A2 receiver for a A1 and it will be identical to the pic you posted.

5. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder Ardenwald, OR Well-Known Member

You can kit build the A1. I'm not sure if anybody builds a A1 currently. The old triangle hand guards are a DIY thing.

This is a older Bushmaster in A1 config I changed out the hand guards, butt and grip to the early style A1.
    BMA101.jpg
    BMA102.jpg

This SBR is a old Colt A1 upper, I found a short set of the triangular hand guards for it.
    ace01.jpg
    ace02.jpg

6. Ironbar

Ironbar Tigard, OR Well-Known Member

Yeah, by knowledge of the AR platform couldn't even fill a slim pamphlet. I wouldn't even BEGIN to know how to build one from parts. I'd be flying totally blind.

7. snooopidydoo

snooopidydoo Medford Oregon Active Member

Thats the best part!
    you would be amazed at how simple it is to build.

8. samuelm16

samuelm16 se pdx Well-Known Member

that sbr is delicous!

9. Mutt

Mutt Washington, Kitsap County Member

That style has been used for decades and works fine. But , however, I'm sure you want to have as accurate a rifle as possible. The problem with the old style AR's/M16's is that the handguards and attaching system are mounted to the barrel, along with the sling swivel. All these place stress on the barrel and play hell with accuracy.

I know not everyone out there likes the new tacticool stuff and many really like the old nastolgic builds. But, If you want to get decent accuracy, I suggest using a free float handguard. You can get some plain jane free float handguards that will still look decent on the A1/A2 style builds.

10. Nwcid

Not sure what you mean by "old style". The standard AR, including military M4 still come with 2 piece non-floating handguards. The DCM competition guns have 2 piece handguards on them.

Also it would make the OP's "I love the clean lines of the A1 with the triangle fore grip." look very funny with a round/railed/ect handguard.

11. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder Ardenwald, OR Well-Known Member

Free floated hand guards are nice. I do have them on my precision AR's, but the accuracy difference is very minimal at best. The only scenario were it makes a noticeable difference is if you shoot with a sling and use a ungodly amount of sling tension. Shooting from bags or free hand without a sling you well see little or no difference.

Nwcid and (deleted member) like this.
  12. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I have to agree. We were talking about this very subject last night. While not as popular or as "tactical", I wholeheartedly agree with the OP. I've not yet taken the "AR plunge". I may not, but if I do I want a Colt SP-1 or something similar.

13. bruzer

bruzer Grants Pass, OR Well-Known Member

How much is one of these AR-15 A1 worth now a days?
    Mike

14. Nwcid

What condition? What maker? What year?

Original Colt SP-1's usually sell in excess of $1500 or you get an SGW in A1 configuration for under $750.

15. Unka-Boo

Unka-Boo Milwaukie Active Member

Where?

Most the SP1s that I've seen sell lately have been a Grand or less....market's soft right now.

16. bruzer

bruzer Grants Pass, OR Well-Known Member

Used in great condition, Colt SP-1, I don't know the year. How many years did Colt make them with triangle hand guards?
    Mike

17. Nwcid

18. iomatic

iomatic Portland Member

Which versions are pre/post ban, just out of curiosity? Is there a cutoff line for each model?

19. Nwcid

It does not work that way. It is based on the serial number on the lower. There are too many brands to keep track of them all. I can build a "pre or post" ban of any version right now with the proper lower receiver.

20. iomatic

iomatic Portland Member

How about if we just narrow to Colt? Sorry for the slight threadjack.