JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Bought the shield almost two years ago and have not shot. (Actually forgot all about it until earlier this week) I am in no way against carrying the shield. However I like to buy guns :)

I used to be a 1911 carry guy and did so for years. Sometimes the GP100 would be carried but most of the time it was an old Colt.

In recent years, not only did I want to go lighter, I wanted something less obvious and selected an SA XDS in .45ACP. While it's more of a hand full when firing, I can have no problem hitting what I am shooting at with reasonable accuracy and it's a dream to carry.

I used to be a 1911 carry guy and did so for years. Sometimes the GP100 would be carried but most of the time it was an old Colt.

In recent years, not only did I want to go lighter, I wanted something less obvious and selected an SA XDS in .45ACP. While it's more of a hand full when firing, I can have no problem hitting what I am shooting at with reasonable accuracy and it's a dream to carry.
I hate shooting mine. Debating stippling the grip to decrease the aggressiveness. I mostly carry a p938. I want to try a p365 though.

I did an XDs in 45 for a while, good shooter, certainly accurate and comfortable to carry. Once I tried the Shield, no comparison. For a ever so slightly larger firearm, I get to pack 1 more round. Better sight picture in my opinion. I found the loaded chamber indicator on the XDs distracting.

My 25 auto is fine for neighborhood walks but out of town I would gun up some. Oregon really isn't that dangerous to live in, traveled all my life in Oregon and never needed a gun for defense. If I lived in portland I would carry all the time but the rest of the state is pretty good in my opinion.
I hear ya. My Bic lighter is fine for neighborhood walks.. melts those snowflakes toot sweet! For out of town I up gun my load out with some rock salt.

I have lots of options, 22mag a NAA and a J-frame, have not carried either in a long time, I have ten different pocket 380's, If I need to go small it would usually be the Ruger LCP II or smaller yet a Kahr CW-380. Moving up to 9 MM I can pocket carry a Ruger LC9s Pro (No safety) or a less likely a XDS 9. I do have XDS 45 and several usable 45's, but I do not carry them much anymore.

My EDC is a 40, a XD40 SC Mod 2 carried IWB Appendix and a XDS 40 as back up in the pocket (Holstered) I carry a extended spare magazine for each gun, with TMJ in the spare XDS magazine.

The only revolver I carry in the winter is a Ruger LCR in 327 Federal Magnum. I carry it as it is a six shooter, not five.

I've had the carry permit for decades, seldom use it. Don't like the extra weight and bother of carrying concealed. I try not to go places where I might be more apt to need a firearm. That said, when I do carry, I like my Ruger SP101 in .327 Fed Mag 3 inch bbl. Some may think it's a sissy cartridge; well, maybe but I don't want to find out by being on the receiving end. .357 is too much cartridge for the SP101, in my opinion. Also have the same revolver, 2 in. bbl. in .38 Special but the .327 is the carry gun. The .327's have six shots, the .38 has five. Revolvers as carry guns don't leave empties behind, should that ever be an issue.

Quite a few years ago when the SP101 first came out, I had one in .32 H&R Magnum. But I questioned its effectiveness as a defensive arm. The .327 Fed Mag is a big improvement.

I've been a Smith & Wesson man for decades; for a long time they were steps above Ruger in fit and finish, also aesthetic appeal if that counts for anything. These days, I still have more Smiths than Rugers but the count is narrowing. I've owned many J frames over the years. But as to shooting, I find that the Ruger SP101 is more comfortable for me than, say, a Model 36 Smith. And with carry guns, that's a big factor in choice.

On long driving trips, used to carry a Glock 19 shoved between the front seats under the armrests. Not long ago, an acquaintance was telling me, "I don't carry a gun, don't need one. In my car, I keep a can of wasp and hornet spray handy. If I get out in a dicey neighborhood, I take it with me in a brown bag. A long shot of that will discourage the bad guys." I don't think you need a permit for that. Yet.

im a retired LEO from about 10 years ago. I still practice shooting on a weekly basis and help for free the training of new officers. Our dept. went to Glocks about 1987. It took me forever to like that gun. I now have 5 of them. Used to carry it off duty but wasn't practical for summer and shorts and T-shirt's. I got a SigSouer P938. After putting a lot of rounds down range with this gun I really liked it. Lightweight and easily concealed with a loose T-shirt and shorts. Liked it so much with a spare mag on me it's turned into my EDC year round. I'm getting old and lighter is better for me.
It took me many years to find a EDC that I felt comfortable carrying that wouldn't print and was what I felt was going to be very reliable and have enough umph to do the job if ever necessary. It was love at first sight. The Sig Sauer P938 does it all for me and the bonus is it is very accurate!

I don't always carry ( 'Cause school has a rule against it ) ...But when I do... its the top one in in the picture.:D
A original Series '70 Colt in .45 ACP ... carry load is .230 grain Speer Gold Dot Hollow points...
Andy
DSC06046.jpg

I don't always carry ( 'Cause school has a rule against it ) ...But when I do... its the top one in in the picture.:D
A original Series '70 Colt in .45 ACP ... carry load is .230 grain Speer Gold Dot Hollow points...
Andy
View attachment 450651
My EDC is a Kustom(yep, that is spelled properly) .45ACP from Detonics .45 Associates. Came out of their Bellevue WA shop and is Kinda special. Not everyone gets a :rolleyes:"Viewing":rolleyes: only a few special friends. It was the first Detonics without any Sights but a good Shooter can make regular hits on a Pepsi Can at 50 yards all day long.:):):)

My EDC is a Kustom(yep, that is spelled properly) .45ACP from Detonics .45 Associates. Came out of their Bellevue WA shop and is Kinda special. Not everyone gets a :rolleyes:"Viewing":rolleyes: only a few special friends. It was the first Detonics without any Sights but a good Shooter can make regular hits on a Pepsi Can at 50 yards all day long.:):):)

Well I can understand that Pepsi cans are not as smart and nimble as Coke cans! :D

I am a long time 1911 shooter and fan. :) That being said I am more comfortable carrying
a striker fired pistol instead of cocked and locked.:eek: I carry a 9 mm Shield with
the manual safety. Most people are not a fan of the manual safety but I feel a little
better stuffing in the holster with the safety on.:confused:
Except for the comment about feeling safer with the striker, this could be my quote.

I carry a Shield in 9mm because of the size and weight, but I'm seriously thinking about switching to a 1911. Carried my 1911 for a day while at the range and it was surprisingly comfortable and the weight didn't bother me as much as I thought it would.
With a good holster and belt, the 1911 is ok for all day, but better with an aluminum frame just because of weight.

I did an XDs in 45 for a while, good shooter, certainly accurate and comfortable to carry. Once I tried the Shield, no comparison. For a ever so slightly larger firearm, I get to pack 1 more round. Better sight picture in my opinion. I found the loaded chamber indicator on the XDs distracting.

I shot a couple of XDs' back to back. One with the "recall" done, one without. Didn't matter. Even though I liked the way they felt in the hand and loved the sights, I thought the trigger was the biggest bunch of mush I'd ever squeezed. Don't remember the travel or reset being long, just the feel of the trigger sucked.

I have a Shield 40. When I first picked it up I wasn't sure I liked the long, narrow shape of the grip. That changed by the time I shot it some. I've found the Shield to be a great gun.

I've gone through many handguns over time, but as of now I have four handguns that I will alternate between, depending on circumstances.
Commander sized 1911 in stainless steel. (Dan Wesson CBOB in 45 ACP)
The Shield. Probably carried the most even though I like the 1911 better.
S&W Model 69 44 Mag revolver.
Taurus TCP 380. Carried the least, but it's the gun that hides best with the least cover. Far better than no gun.

I have a XDS in every caliber, the 9 and 45 pre-recall, but after getting them back I took those two to Bend, Or and had Springer Precision do a 'Combat Action' job on them. $75 each at the time, seemed worthwhile afterwards.
I have nothing against my Shield (W / Safety) except size, all my XDS can fit in a pocket holster, in my pocket. The Shield works in a IWB though. If both versions were available, I would have selected the non-safety version. It is easy to sweep off the Shield's small safety, something I had been dubious about.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top