JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'd really like to be able to travel to the lovely state to my north and keep my firearm at my side. I did a search for the rules and what not here on the forums but can't seem to find a easy summary. So -1 for my lack of search skills.

What would I need to do in order to get a CHL for Washington if I am a Oregon resident?

-d

Download the application off the net, go to Washington police precinct, turn in application, pay money, wait for CHL in mail.

1155996177480.jpg

Try going to this site:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

It will allow you to click on any state to see the requirements for getting a CHL in that state as well as lot of other information. If you are near the Salem area I would suggest going to see Jim Jacobe:

http://www.jimjacobe.com

He has a class that will take care of all the requirements to complete the application, including your photo and your fingerprint card. When you are finnished with the class you are ready to send off the application.

Its easier to get a WA license (and cheaper) then a UT license. I just talked to a county Sheriff yesterday and they do not even require a safety class in WA. Just walk in, get the picture and prints taken and pay your fees.

As long as you pass the background check, you'll get your license. For Ferry county, it was $55.25 for 5 years.

Yes, a UT license does have reciprocity with more states, but I just don't imagine I would be even going that far to justify the added expense. As long as I have Oregon, Washington, Idaho & Montana, I'm good. UT also gives you Wyoming, North Dakota, New Mexico and a couple of more states out east, but it won't give you Nevada or California.

I think it's a bit unfair how easily an OR resident can get a CPL from WA, compared with vice versa.

It's some kind of stupid feud between the two states, IMO. However there is a thread here about an Oregon sheriff who has his head set properly and he comes to WA gun shows to help us get OR permits. Kudos to him!

It's some kind of stupid feud between the two states, IMO. However there is a thread here about an Oregon sheriff who has his head set properly and he comes to WA gun shows to help us get OR permits. Kudos to him!

To help those out who want more information on this guy, he is the Sheriff in Grant County in Eastern Oregon. He seems to have a great attitude.

I went up to the Sheriffs office in Vancouver.. Walked in handed the lady my Application... Went downstairs paid my money.. Back upstairs got my fingerprints done.. Walked out less than 30min later had my permit inside of 2 weeks it doesn't get any easier than that.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top