Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

What hoops does a Oregon CHL jump though to carry in Washington?

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by Decker, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Decker

Decker My house Active Member

I'd really like to be able to travel to the lovely state to my north and keep my firearm at my side. I did a search for the rules and what not here on the forums but can't seem to find a easy summary. So -1 for my lack of search skills.

What would I need to do in order to get a CHL for Washington if I am a Oregon resident?

-d

2. onearmedswordsman

onearmedswordsman Hillsboro, OR Member

Check this site. http://www.usacarry.com/

Easiest route is to get a Utah CFP. Contact MKTactical.com to get yours. Mike is a swell guy.

3. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

Download the application off the net, go to Washington police precinct, turn in application, pay money, wait for CHL in mail.

1155996177480.jpg

4. claypigeon

claypigeon Salem Member

I would suggest getting a Utah non-resident CHL. It is accepted by about 29 other states including Washington.

5. Decker

Decker My house Active Member

Oh, I like that idea! So, what are those hoops?

-d

P.S. Push button/Receive Bacon is :bluelaugh:

6. safooma

safooma Oregon Member

7. claypigeon

claypigeon Salem Member

Try going to this site:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

It will allow you to click on any state to see the requirements for getting a CHL in that state as well as lot of other information. If you are near the Salem area I would suggest going to see Jim Jacobe:

http://www.jimjacobe.com

He has a class that will take care of all the requirements to complete the application, including your photo and your fingerprint card. When you are finnished with the class you are ready to send off the application.

8. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

9. smurf hunter

smurf hunter Auburn, WA Active Member

I think it's a bit unfair how easily an OR resident can get a CPL from WA, compared with vice versa.

10. Decidion

Decidion Washington county, Oregon Member

Its easier to get a WA license (and cheaper) then a UT license. I just talked to a county Sheriff yesterday and they do not even require a safety class in WA. Just walk in, get the picture and prints taken and pay your fees.

As long as you pass the background check, you'll get your license. For Ferry county, it was $55.25 for 5 years.

Yes, a UT license does have reciprocity with more states, but I just don't imagine I would be even going that far to justify the added expense. As long as I have Oregon, Washington, Idaho & Montana, I'm good. UT also gives you Wyoming, North Dakota, New Mexico and a couple of more states out east, but it won't give you Nevada or California.

11. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

It's some kind of stupid feud between the two states, IMO. However there is a thread here about an Oregon sheriff who has his head set properly and he comes to WA gun shows to help us get OR permits. Kudos to him!

12. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

it's a toothpick measuring contest.

Kinda wish there was a national CHL

13. mpmax

mpmax Woodburn Active Member

For Oregon, it's a matter of mental health record checks and "training" that Washington doesn't require. Washington's system is a "purer" permit system, constitutionaly.

14. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

To help those out who want more information on this guy, he is the Sheriff in Grant County in Eastern Oregon. He seems to have a great attitude.

15. simpleguy

simpleguy Clackamas Active Member

+1 for this, took the class, got the permit, not a problem and I will be a customer of theirs for life!

16. LCspeedsteel

LCspeedsteel hillsboro Member

exactly... utah works too though, just more expensive

17. Gunner69

Gunner69 Hillsboro Member

I went up to the Sheriffs office in Vancouver.. Walked in handed the lady my Application... Went downstairs paid my money.. Back upstairs got my fingerprints done.. Walked out less than 30min later had my permit inside of 2 weeks it doesn't get any easier than that.

18. Gendaito

Gendaito PDX Member

Utah requires a class, WA doesn't.

19. LCspeedsteel

LCspeedsteel hillsboro Member

that is what i was implying when i mentioned it being spendy... its nice to have, but over $100, and i cant go to CA of course, so id just rather use WA... its the only other place i go to.

20. Arkitek

Arkitek Historic Downtown Roseburg Oregon Member