JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Once again I'm planning on swapping my Glock 19 & Milt Sparks VMII carry package for a Colt Lightweight Commander, but I don't want to do it until I get a decent holster to carry the Commander. I'm a Milt Sparks fanatic; I absolutely love the belt of theirs I wear daily, as well as the two VMII's I have (one for the G19, one for a 5" 1911). I also have a DeSantis OWB holster (model unknown) for a 5" 1911 that has been awesome, so I'm looking for a good OWB as well.

I'd like to hear what you guys use to carry your 4" 1911, both IWB and OWB as I prefer to have both and switch them out depending on the situation. I'd order more Sparks stuff, but I wouldn't get it until April or May, around which time I usually swap back to carrying a smaller gun for the warmer weather. I have no problem investing in quality leather (I hate Kydex) but with money so tight, it would be nice to have something more affordable.

I am super happy with my High Noon split decision ($34.95) it fits my P10-40 Para and my Colt Commander equally well. Allows you to tuck shirt in over it if you want. Also have a Bianchi paddle that is very comfortable.

I carry my 4" Kimber ProRaptor in either a IWB or OWB TTGunleather or a IWB D&D Gunleather holster .
http://www.danddgunleather.com
http://www.ttgunleather.com

I think both are great craftsman. DandD has short lead time.

Also try http://www.c5leather.com. I never used them but he has good start up reviews at defensivecarry.com and looks like VMII styling and reasonable lead times.

Sorry my picture sucks so bad

Good luck leather shopping :)

I use the same holster for my CBOB (commander size Dan Wesson) as I used for my Para Ordnance P12 (Officer size), which is an Uncle Mikes paddle. It's some kind of fake leather, not the typical nylon that most of the Uncle Mikes are. Has two cant positions depending where you thread the belt thru. Outside waistband style and very comfortable, even with the longer frame and slide than what it's "designed" for. The only complaint is the fact that it's sometimes a little closed up for re-holstering. But quick re-holstering isn't usually as important as un-holstering! Has a thumb break style retention which some folks dislike, but suits me just fine. I carry cocked and locked. The thumb break doesn't slow me down to any degree and I DO NOT like a holster that will not retain my pistol. I also use it for my 5" Colts.
Two other positives. Made here. Not very expensive.

I, too, hate plastic holsters.

When I had a 4" 1911 it was carried in a Galco Royal guard for IWB and High Noon Slide Guard... If you love the Milt Sparks I don't think you would like the Galco, at least for me I like the VMII much more than Royal Guard.

The High Noon holster is very comfortable and secure, I wouldn't mind having another for my 5" 1911...

Gordon Davis Liberty;

carryrig1.jpg

I've used a MS VMII for a Kimber Pro Carry II that I had. Now I'm using a Cross Breed Super Tuck holster for the STI Ranger II and like it as much as the MS VMII. The Cross Breed is a little slimmer than the VM and it cost a lot less!! Delivery time was about 3 weeks. It's a very comfortable holster to wear.

Okay, so I don't have a 4" 1911. But the MTAC holster that <broken link removed> sells is fantastic. I have one I've carried an SR9 with and now my m&p40. The kydex injection molded bodies are interchangeable. It's still plastic but it's only $90 and you'll get it in about a week. My friend just ordered one last wed or thurs and got it yesterday.

I've used a MS VMII for a Kimber Pro Carry II that I had. Now I'm using a Cross Breed Super Tuck holster for the STI Ranger II and like it as much as the MS VMII. The Cross Breed is a little slimmer than the VM and it cost a lot less!! Delivery time was about 3 weeks. It's a very comfortable holster to wear.

That's good to hear! Especially from someone who's tried them both. I usually shy away from Kydex but I may give it another go due to the price of the Crossbreed and the reviews I've read. One question though, it looks quite large. How's it feel when you're sitting down or driving a car? It looks like the leather would dig into your back.

That's good to hear! Especially from someone who's tried them both. I usually shy away from Kydex but I may give it another go due to the price of the Crossbreed and the reviews I've read. One question though, it looks quite large. How's it feel when you're sitting down or driving a car? It looks like the leather would dig into your back.

The crossbreed looks pretty much the same as the MTAC. It's also $10-15 cheaper than the MTAC. Be interesting to see a review by someone who's used both.

I think I'll order a Crossbreed and see how it works out. I can see myself as being one of those guys with a closet full of holsters, just because I have a tendency to want to try stuff out for myself. I'd also like to try a Brommeland MaxCon V, but they're even more expensive than the VM2, so that's not an option right now.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top