Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

What holster do you use to carry your 4" 1911?

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by Joe Link, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Once again I'm planning on swapping my Glock 19 & Milt Sparks VMII carry package for a Colt Lightweight Commander, but I don't want to do it until I get a decent holster to carry the Commander. I'm a Milt Sparks fanatic; I absolutely love the belt of theirs I wear daily, as well as the two VMII's I have (one for the G19, one for a 5" 1911). I also have a DeSantis OWB holster (model unknown) for a 5" 1911 that has been awesome, so I'm looking for a good OWB as well.

I'd like to hear what you guys use to carry your 4" 1911, both IWB and OWB as I prefer to have both and switch them out depending on the situation. I'd order more Sparks stuff, but I wouldn't get it until April or May, around which time I usually swap back to carrying a smaller gun for the warmer weather. I have no problem investing in quality leather (I hate Kydex) but with money so tight, it would be nice to have something more affordable.

2. SteelyDan

SteelyDan Junction City Active Member

I am super happy with my High Noon split decision ($34.95) it fits my P10-40 Para and my Colt Commander equally well. Allows you to tuck shirt in over it if you want. Also have a Bianchi paddle that is very comfortable.

3. Logical1

Logical1 southeast portland, OR Member

I use a Bianchi model 100 for my ultracarry and its a nice fit for me. you really cant tuck a shirt in it, but I dont wear a 45 with a tucked shirt normally anyway as my preference.

4. Selftest

Selftest Bellingham, WA Member

Check out the Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro. They are very very nice and fill both roles, as they are interchangeable. The quality is fantastic, they are slim, and each little detail can be molded into the holster with no problem. Retention is quite good.

http://www.purekustom.com/new_black_ops_page.htm

5. dragonsden73

dragonsden73 Salem, Oregun Active Member

I hear the Crossbreeds are second to none. Personally, I use Milt Sparks, Galco IWB's are good and the leather Blackhawk is nice...at least for my Glocks.....

6. huntpotter

huntpotter SW WA Negotiator Bronze Supporter

Milt Saprks, Summer Special II.

7. VinnieBoomBah

VinnieBoomBah Hillsboro OR Active Member

8. doug

doug Tacoma Member

I carry my 4" Kimber ProRaptor in either a IWB or OWB TTGunleather or a IWB D&D Gunleather holster .
    http://www.danddgunleather.com
    http://www.ttgunleather.com

I think both are great craftsman. DandD has short lead time.

Also try http://www.c5leather.com. I never used them but he has good start up reviews at defensivecarry.com and looks like VMII styling and reasonable lead times.

Sorry my picture sucks so bad

Good luck leather shopping :)

9. AndyH

AndyH Keizer, Oregon Well-Known Member

10. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I use the same holster for my CBOB (commander size Dan Wesson) as I used for my Para Ordnance P12 (Officer size), which is an Uncle Mikes paddle. It's some kind of fake leather, not the typical nylon that most of the Uncle Mikes are. Has two cant positions depending where you thread the belt thru. Outside waistband style and very comfortable, even with the longer frame and slide than what it's "designed" for. The only complaint is the fact that it's sometimes a little closed up for re-holstering. But quick re-holstering isn't usually as important as un-holstering! Has a thumb break style retention which some folks dislike, but suits me just fine. I carry cocked and locked. The thumb break doesn't slow me down to any degree and I DO NOT like a holster that will not retain my pistol. I also use it for my 5" Colts.
    Two other positives. Made here. Not very expensive.

I, too, hate plastic holsters.

11. techieguy

techieguy Well-Known Member

When I had a 4" 1911 it was carried in a Galco Royal guard for IWB and High Noon Slide Guard... If you love the Milt Sparks I don't think you would like the Galco, at least for me I like the VMII much more than Royal Guard.

The High Noon holster is very comfortable and secure, I wouldn't mind having another for my 5" 1911...

12. The Quiet Man

The Quiet Man rural Washington County, Oregon Active Member

On the belt: El Paso Saddlery's #88 Street Combat
    Inside the WB: Crossbreed
    I don't think you can go wrong with either holster.

13. wichaka

wichaka Wa State Well-Known Member

Gordon Davis Liberty;

carryrig1.jpg

14. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

That's a SWEET piece! Where to find that?

15. gunfighter48

gunfighter48 Seattle, WA New Member

I've used a MS VMII for a Kimber Pro Carry II that I had. Now I'm using a Cross Breed Super Tuck holster for the STI Ranger II and like it as much as the MS VMII. The Cross Breed is a little slimmer than the VM and it cost a lot less!! Delivery time was about 3 weeks. It's a very comfortable holster to wear.

16. eriknemily

eriknemily Tillamook County (Cheese!) Member

Okay, so I don't have a 4" 1911. But the MTAC holster that Comp-Tac sells is fantastic. I have one I've carried an SR9 with and now my m&p40. The kydex injection molded bodies are interchangeable. It's still plastic but it's only $90 and you'll get it in about a week. My friend just ordered one last wed or thurs and got it yesterday.

17. wichaka

wichaka Wa State Well-Known Member

Had Gordon make it for me before he retired. I have several of his pieces. I regret not having him make another belt for me. So I'm searching for anyone who may have one.

18. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

That's good to hear! Especially from someone who's tried them both. I usually shy away from Kydex but I may give it another go due to the price of the Crossbreed and the reviews I've read. One question though, it looks quite large. How's it feel when you're sitting down or driving a car? It looks like the leather would dig into your back.

19. eriknemily

eriknemily Tillamook County (Cheese!) Member

The crossbreed looks pretty much the same as the MTAC. It's also $10-15 cheaper than the MTAC. Be interesting to see a review by someone who's used both.

20. Joe Link

I think I'll order a Crossbreed and see how it works out. I can see myself as being one of those guys with a closet full of holsters, just because I have a tendency to want to try stuff out for myself. I'd also like to try a Brommeland MaxCon V, but they're even more expensive than the VM2, so that's not an option right now.