JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
jj, I was just kidding, I think this country is not that far from being Egypt. We should all be watching as things unfold over there. I'm not going to go run yelling the sky is falling, but it never hurts to be ready.

jj, I was just kidding, I think this country is not that far from being Egypt. We should all be watching as things unfold over there. I'm not going to go run yelling the sky is falling, but it never hurts to be ready.

I agree with you that we are close to going "Egypt" but I don't think people read statistics enough to know why. My main purpose for the thread was to bring out the observations of others and what would be different here.

When it comes to kidding I hope you can take it as well as give it out :s0112::s0112:

jj

I agree with you that we are close to going "Egypt" but I don't think people read statistics enough to know why. My main purpose for the thread was to bring out the observations of others and what would be different here.

When it comes to kidding I hope you can take it as well as give it out :s0112::s0112:

jj

jj, I'm a single dad with four teenagers living with me, I can take the kidding. As for the people knowing why, I agree with you. We bubblegum about gas now, but what will be the price if Egypt falls. I know it goes much deeper than that, but that will be something that we all will feel right off. Everyday we lose a little more freedom and the bill of rights is just being used as tp by our elected officals. But what the heck were getting health care and the goverment will always do whats best for us sheep :s0155:

:s0112::s0112: Of course most don't see the full ramifications of Egypt. However when the cotton they produce doesn't make it to the stores and we all got to go commando then the truth will hit home. (Yes I am trying to be funny)

jj

Alot to be learned from the riots in Egypt so I got to ask what did you get from this toward your survival so far?

jj

Some random thoughts:

Protests: The closest thing (in modern times) we have experienced to this is the Vietnam War protests. Those were ongoing protests, and resulted in protester deaths at the hands of the National Guard. Politicians were thrown out, the war ended, and the US continued as normal. (And scumbags like Neil Young got richer writing songs about it). Hopefully that is how our current crisis will play out (except the Neil Young part).

Crowds: I stay away from crowds. "Leaders" ultimately emerge from crowds, and crowds begin to follow them. I don't trust that type of situation. If riots/protests occur here I will stay far away. My voice will be heard in other ways.

Leader flees country: Hasn't happened in Egypt yet. Hope it doesn't happen there. Egypt's best chance is to hold honest elections on schedule. When leaders flee an immediate vacuum is created. The vacuum is then filled by the military. They don't need the military in power; they need decent leaders. Shouldn't have to worry about that situation happening here.

Democracy: NO history of democratic rule in the Islamic Middle East. NONE! The Middle East is made up of tribal regions held together by kings/dictators. Every once in awhile Britain, the US, Russia, or whomever, overthrows one of the dictatorships and installs a regime friendly to the superpower's interests. If the next regime can somehow keep food prices stable, and foster employment at above starvation wages that regime will survive. As for here at home, I'm hoping recent administrations are as close to dictatorships that we will ever get. People need to be very concerned by this whole "Executive Orders" thing. Very concerned.

Lately I have been interested in comparing the differences between events in Argentina vs. Rhodesia (I won't refer to it as Zimbabwe anymore). This short article might interest some of you. It looks into the mindset of some people who were caught up in a true SHTF situation. I'll take Argentina SHTF over Rhodesian SHTF any day.

At the mercy of the machete mob: The terrifying isolation and almost suicidal courage of Zimbabwe's white farmers | Mail Online

Id say a universal lesson to be learned is making it the first few months "self sufficiant" style. will be key to not being run over by the mob whos idea you may or may not support.Id like to hear the stories from some of the out lying non publicisized villages and smaller towns out side of the big cities.

We as a nation of people are nowhere NEAR revolting as is going on in Egypt. Period. Im pretty well aware of whats going on HERE, and dont see that happening. At ALL.

It's instructive for any kind of civil crisis, like a natural disaster due to earthquake or weather. Quick thoughts: keep a pile of cash on hand---The first thing that happened with the protests was that the ATMs went down, and nobody could get money to buy food; Second, stock up on essentials--- the stores either could not get resupplied or simply closed, and the food for sale ran out quickly; Third, public transportation ceased, and gangs of looters roamed and hijacked cars---park your car securely; Fourth, looters attacked private residences, and neighborhood streets had to form their own militias to repel them; Fifth, some areas lost municipal water; Sixth, some government and police buildings were set on fire, as were opposition political offices, and fires spread; Finally, plain-clothes government and police agents attacked people just about indiscriminately. Need I mention that news media reports were heavily censored, and so the protesters got all their news from the internet---until that was shut off quite early in the action?.......................elsullo

I don't think Americans would be rioting in the streets to the same extreme that the Egyptians are.
They have a different passion and way of expressing it. If Nordstrom's is still open, then all is well for most Americans.

What would I do? Hard to tell. I would probably carry one of my machine guns in my car JIC.
What are the Egyptians that are not rioting doing? Do they need to worry? Foreigners need to worry in Egypt.

Is society completely lost for the locals?

I don't think Americans would be rioting in the streets to the same extreme that the Egyptians are.
They have a different passion and way of expressing it. If Nordstrom's is still open, then all is well for most Americans.

This is a really good question JJ. I agree with coctailer's point. I was thinking about this earlier today, I think due to political correctness and affluence, our society generally speaking has been neutered. I think it would take alot for that magnitude of disorder in America. Heck, that was 30 years in the making for them, and even then, I thought what I read said less than 10% of the population is involved.

Lesson I take seems to be, when people are being stupid, STAY HOME! I don't want to be shot by overwhelmed and nervous soldier or officer. No fun for either party involved. If rioting starts to happen, I'm boarding up the windows, dipping into my stored supplies, and staying in my own little castle...

It's instructive for any kind of civil crisis, like a natural disaster due to earthquake or weather. Quick thoughts: keep a pile of cash on hand---The first thing that happened with the protests was that the ATMs went down, and nobody could get money to buy food; Second, stock up on essentials--- the stores either could not get resupplied or simply closed, and the food for sale ran out quickly; Third, public transportation ceased, and gangs of looters roamed and hijacked cars---park your car securely; Fourth, looters attacked private residences, and neighborhood streets had to form their own militias to repel them; Fifth, some areas lost municipal water; Sixth, some government and police buildings were set on fire, as were opposition political offices, and fires spread; Finally, plain-clothes government and police agents attacked people just about indiscriminately. Need I mention that news media reports were heavily censored, and so the protesters got all their news from the internet---until that was shut off quite early in the action?.......................elsullo

As far as things learned, this is a very good list of what happened/is happening. The things that stand out to me are the neighborhood militias. Get to know your neighbors now, because it could come down to something like this in certain neighborhoods. Keep cash on hand as elsullo stated. Two years ago when we had all that snow, I went to get gas for my truck, and all the gas stations had run out because the tankers couldn't get to the stations. When I finally found a station that had gas, their computer system was down so they could only take cash. When I went to the ATM across the street, it had run out of money. All poor planning on my part.

Initially I think that if people take to the streets those who live in large(ish) cities are going to experience a very different situation then someone living outside of the urban growth boundaries. As time went on perhaps those in suburbs/rural would have to deal with the golden horde but I think it would take a few weeks of pretty heavy upheaval to make that happen.

As for what I've learned... I'd say that the average Egyptian has a better throwing arm then the average American.

-d

This is a really good question JJ. I agree with coctailer's point. I was thinking about this earlier today, I think due to political correctness and affluence, our society generally speaking has been neutered. I think it would take alot for that magnitude of disorder in America. Heck, that was 30 years in the making for them, and even then, I thought what I read said less than 10% of the population is involved.

Could it be then that because the left hasn't been able to motivate it's minions to violence that they have become the allies of the Islamic Extreemist?

Mark Twain comes to mind: "It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.".........................elsullo

Could it be then that because the left hasn't been able to motivate it's minions to violence that they have become the allies of the Islamic Extreemist?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top