JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Went tent camping with my girlfriend and had a great time. Did a little panning and got a speck of gold, which is disappointing being used to panning for gold in Arizona and getting color in every pan and the occasional pickers.

IMG_20200808_181106516.jpg

How'd that new shower work out fer ya?
It worked great for rinsing the dust off of everything once we got to camp after 18 miles of dirt roads. Water is not heating up very effectively, though. Got down in the upper 30's overnight and 70's during the day and by noon, the water still wasn't warm enough for a comfortable shower.

It worked great for rinsing the dust off of everything once we got to camp after 18 miles of dirt roads. Water is not heating up very effectively, though. Got down in the upper 30's overnight and 70's during the day and by noon, the water still wasn't warm enough for a comfortable shower.

With all due respect, this post suggests that you're a sissy.

P

He's camping with his (much younger) GF. Allowances must be made for the good of the order, if you get my meaning... ;)

I stopped my rig at an accident scene the other day, it must have JUST happened because it was still smoking and nobody else had stopped yet. I put out the fire and helped a family of 6 (presumably, all females aged 6-45, non English speakers) get out of their crashed minivan through the passenger side window (landed on driver's side) and the broken-out back window.

The man-card points come from using my ZT folder to cut a seat belt and stab/cut/deflate an air mattress that was stubbornly blocking their escape. I think I get points for using the glass-breaker on my flashlight (it's actual intended use) to break out the window on the topside passenger window... those things really work!

That was on I-90, just east of Snoqualmie summit.

Then, when everyone was out and safe, with more samaritans on scene and the requisite sirens in the background growing ever louder, I wordlessly made my way back to my waiting rig. I climed into the saddle and drove away, jamming gears and heading towards the next adventure.

"Who was that man? Is he an angel?"
"No, mijo.. that was Jonnyuma..."

True story... 'cept for maybe that last part.

I stopped my rig at an accident scene the other day, it must have JUST happened because it was still smoking and nobody else had stopped yet. I put out the fire and helped a family of 6 (presumably, all females aged 6-45, non English speakers) get out of their crashed minivan through the passenger side window (landed on driver's side) and the broken-out back window.

The man-card points come from using my ZT folder to cut a seat belt and stab/cut/deflate an air mattress that was stubbornly blocking their escape. I think I get points for using the glass-breaker on my flashlight (it's actual intended use) to break out the window on the topside passenger window... those things really work!

That was on I-90, just east of Snoqualmie summit.

Then, when everyone was out and safe, with more samaritans on scene and the requisite sirens in the background growing ever louder, I wordlessly made my way back to my waiting rig. I climed into the saddle and drove away, jamming gears and heading towards the next adventure.

"Who was that man? Is he an angel?"
"No, mijo.. that was Jonnyuma..."

True story... 'cept for maybe that last part.
Winner!

That's awesome. Most people would just drive by and take a pic with their smartphone then tweet about it. Kudos!

Winner!

That's awesome. Most people would just drive by and take a pic with their smartphone then tweet about it. Kudos!
Thank you.
When I ran back towards the van, it's underside was facing me and I noticed that it needed new CV boots... weird thought.
I'm glad nobody was badly injured as far as I know (one woman may have had a broken arm). I came around a bend and saw it but didn't see it happen so I wouldn't have been of any use as a witness. Ostensibly a single-car rollover, nothin for me to report.

@Jonnyuma Was it where one drops down the hill once over the summit and rounds the curve to the left, in the vicinity of the Hyak exit?
I always get a weird feeling in my innards if I come around that curve too fast. I do not believe the superelevation built into that curve is sufficient for the current speed limit there.

Good on ya for being a help, rather than a smartphone videographer...

Last Edited:
@Jonnyuma As one drops down the hill once over the summit and rounds the curve to the left, in the vicinity of the Hyak exit?
I always get a weird feeling in my innards if I come around that curve too fast. I do not believe the superelevation built into that curve is sufficient for the current speed limit there.

Good on ya for being a help, rather than a smartphone videographer...
A little further to the east on the westbound side, across from the lake. They ended up on their side on the guardrail but the van had obviously rolled at least a few times, it was trash but out of the traffic lanes... I pulled into the chain-up area.
I was glad that a nice woman stopped, she held onto the hysterical kid who was understandably freaked-out.
Another weird thing was the woman who wouldn't GTFO without a large (about 8" diameter) novelty pin (like a souvenir pin you'd get from a Magic Mountain roller coaster) with a photo of an old lady on it. I assume it's a deceased abuela keepsake or something... apparently very important to her.

I totally get the oogy feeling about that first bend (eastbound) after the summit... its actually one of the few places I go with less than my max speed... especially if I'm loaded-down and heavy. It just feels wrong, like the grade or camber is off.

Last Edited:
A little further to the east, across from the lake but on the westbound side... after the wildlife overpass and where the old snowshed was.

A little further to the east on the westbound side, across from the lake. They ended up on their side on the guardrail but the van had obviously rolled at least a few times, it was trash but out of the traffic lanes... I pulled into the chain-up area.
I was glad that a nice woman stopped, she held onto the hysterical kid who was understandably freaked-out.
Another weird thing was the woman who wouldn't GTFO without a large (about 8" diameter) novelty pin (like a souvenir pin you'd get from a Magic Mountain roller coaster) with a photo of an old lady on it. I assume it's a deceased abuela keepsake or something... apparently very important to her.
So they were travelling in the opposite direction from you? On the other side of the interstate? Even more props to you for noticing them! I imagine that being up in your cab aids your visibility, but I believe that most people out there drive right over their hood ornament and wouldn't see anything until they ran right over it. :mad:

I totally get the oogy feeling about that first bend (eastbound) after the summit... its actually one of the few places I go with less than my max speed... especially if I'm loaded-down and heavy. It just feels wrong, like the grade or camber is off.
That section of the interstate was built ~70 years ago (and refurbished 50 years ago), when trucks hauled a lot less weight and the average vehicle didn't run all that fast. I believe that the highway designers specified a superelevation rate into that curve that was just fine for the times. Fast-forward 50+ years and vehicle advances and the need for faster speed limits, and we get a section of highway that isn't banked enough to counteract the forces generated by the weight and speed of most of the vehicles traversing it.

Last Edited:
So they were travelling in the opposite direction from you? Even more props to you for noticing them!
No, Sir... they crashed on the westbound side and I came up shortly afterwards, also traveling westbound. The lady that was holding the crying girl was going eastbound and saw it happen. She parked and ran across 6 lanes and the median to help (at least I think that's what she said).
Really nothing tricky or technical in that section to warrant a single-car rollover... something was happening inside the vehicle, some sort of distraction caused an acute "correction" that put her into a pattern of several over corrections and the extreme weight shift rolled the vehicle... in my expert/amateur analysis based on almost 30 yrs studying vehicle dynamics and panic situations (I call it truckin' for short). Seen some wacky stuff in 49 states and Canada.

That particular section is pretty new, actually. The west side of the summit is a mess, but the east side was completely rebuilt when they did away w the snow shed a few yrs ago.

Gotcha! I was a bit confused when you started mentioning the differing directions. I was originally under the impression that you came upon the wreck in the same direction of travel as the victims, (as you did), but then got distracted by the woman coming from the other direction.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top