JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Pro Tip: Do you own your stuff or does your stuff own you?

When choosing a gun to defend your life and the lives of your family, you pick the most reliable gun you own that you shoot the best. Maybe that's a $450 glock or maybe that's a $3000 Wilson Combat. Cost, however, is NOT a factor in this equation.

To that end, my Wilson CQB sits on my nightstand. And if the police want it after it gets done saving my life and the lives of my family, they can keep the damn thing for all I care.

And it will still be the BEST money I've ever spent. :rolleyes:
"does my stuff own me?" explain that comment please. Before I retired at 70 as a poor pensioner, just collecting Social Security checks, I was an engineer and could afford any firearm I wanted

I shoot my Glock, a couple of S/W, an HK, a Springfield, a half dozen Rugers and I have NEVER noticed a difference in reliability
and I disagree, to me, price is the determining factor
since I can shoot my HK, Glock, Ruger and 1911 with the same accuracy and reliability, financial risk is an issue and will always be considered
so I keep my Glock on the headboard

I've shot a Wilson Combat and I can't shoot it any more accurately than my used $550 Springfield 1911

While I don't want to lose a expensive firearm....I don't want to lose my life either...
So , I'll use the one the I shoot best with .

Its a firearm...and while I can get another one like it...I only have one life.

As always...do what works best for you...and not what works for the other guy.
Andy

Andy, I respect your opinion
but I'm confident with my Glock (P.S. don't piss off the Glock shooters on this forum - they will haunt you forever)
shooting minute of angle with a Smith 686 target pistol and minute of meth head with a Glock is two different levels of accuracy

in fact, I found I had to use compensation with the Tru Glo sights on my Glock when shooting 115 and 125 gn loads at 25 yrds
I recently acquired a crate of Lawman 147 gn and found the sights and my eyes shoot these loads quite accurately
others may shoot different
I'm switching from Golden Saber 125 gn to Buffalo Bore 147 grn hollow points for self defense in my Glock
I think a 17 lbs recoil spring should work well with the Buffalo Bore, but I have a 19 lbs spring just in case

Andy, for self defense, I disagree with "use what you shoot best" since I have dedicated target pistols
there are pistols like the Glock 9mm that are designed and priced as duty pistols, I'll choose a duty pistol anytime IF I have to encounter a human intruder
but I'm thinking most on this forum don't have an extensive collection of pistols and use what they can afford
otherwise I would recommend an extended slide HK VP9 with compensator or a Wilson Combat 1911 for self defense
I shoot those best
and I do really worry about what happens to my firearms afterwards, my son will inherit my firearms after they spread my ashes in the garden
I've noticed that Andy's advice is always practical, and carrying a target pistol wouldn't generally be considered practical.

I've noticed that Andy's advice is always practical, and carrying a target pistol wouldn't generally be considered practical.
my first pistol was a Ruger Mk 1 bull barrel target pistol with micro adj sights - at the time it was my only pistol
I could put a .22 into each "O" on a Coors can at 15'
and at the time it was also my self defense pistol - if I drew a face on a pumpkin, I could shoot the eyes out of it at 25 yrds
when your target pistol is your only pistol - it's practical for self defense
I still have that Ruger, but it sits in a custom case now, with a reflex sight
now, which can I shoot better - of course the Ruger - and I'm sure if a meth head takes a .22 Mini Mag through his right eyeball - game would be over
but my Glock 9mm sits on my headboard

P1040020.JPG

my first pistol was a Ruger Mk 1 bull barrel target pistol with micro adj sights - at the time it was my only pistol
I could put a .22 into each "O" on a Coors can at 15'
and at the time it was also my self defense pistol - if I drew a face on a pumpkin, I could shoot the eyes out of it at 25 yrds
when your target pistol is your only pistol - it's practical for self defense
I still have that Ruger, but it sits in a custom case now, with a reflex sight
now, which can I shoot better - of course the Ruger - and I'm sure if a meth head takes a .22 Mini Mag through his right eyeball - game would be over
but my Glock 9mm sits on my headboard

View attachment 1018597
But you see my point, right?

It depends on how good you aim is.

If the bad guy IS NOT dead because your aim is off, it'll be a long time before you get your gun back because there'll be a long list of of the bad guy's relatives all of whom will want to sue you for big money about the injustice of how the bad guy is really a nice guy who was trying to make enough money to go to college and earn a degree in environment science to solve climate issues, and was on his knee offering a prayer to god when you oh-so-callously shot him. So you gun will remain in evidence for a long time.

If the bad guy IS dead, no relatives of his will give a hoot because it'll be difficult to tell their side of the story and make money from suing you. So you'll get your VP9 back quickly.

In short:
- Don't miss.
- Shoot to kill.
- More shots equals more holes in bad guys, equals higher chances of dead bad guys, equals getting gun back quickly.

:D
Simply a heads up. If you are ever in a SD situation, understand that anything that you've ever put out on social media may(will) come back to haunt you. The simple statement (advocating for) "Shoot to Kill" will instantly give you a Pre-Meditated Murder charge, and any chance of you successfully getting cleared for justified Self-Defense will be thrown out the window.

As far as the OP... Is your HK covered in gold and diamonds? Is it a super-rare firearm that is worth a lot of money? Does it have sentimental value (IE. is it a family heirloom)?

Are the answers "NO" to the above questions? Then treat your HK like what it is...a tool.

It's like a guy that buys a pickup truck, but never uses it for anything utilitarian because he doesn't want to dent the bed or scratch the paint.

Last Edited:
Simply a heads up. If you are ever in a SD situation, understand that anything that you've ever put out on social media may(will) come back to haunt you. The simple statement (advocating for) "Shoot to Kill" will instantly give you a Pre-Meditated Murder charge, and any chance of you successfully getting cleared for justified Self-Defense will be thrown out the window.

As far as the OP... Is your HK covered in gold and diamonds? Is it a super-rare firearm that is worth a lot of money? Does it have sentimental value (IE. is it a family heirloom)?

Are the answers "NO" to the above questions? Then treat your HK like what it is...a tool.

It's like a guy that buys a pickup truck, but never uses it for anything utilitarian because he doesn't want to dent the bed or scratch the paint.
a Glock is a tool
an HK VP9 is a fine example of German Engineering that just happens to shoot bullets

a Glock feels like a brick in your hand
an HK VP9 feels like a fine goatskin glove

but I do own a Glock and trust my life and the safety of my family with it

this is a tool, and in a close in melee with Zombies, more effective than a Glock or HK, I can shave with that ax head

many a Norse raider was killed by a Saxon farmer with such a tool

yet I still keep my Glock on the headboard

but the mattock is behind the front door

German Maddock (1).jpg

this may have been covered, but I didn't find the thread

IF I have to use a firearm in self defense on my own property and the Sheriff takes my firearm as evidence

even when it's determined to be self defense - in Washington state - when, if ever, do I get my firearm back

today, I switched out my HK VP9 for an old Glock as a self defense firearm on my bed headboard

if I have to shoot some meth head or mentally ill Liberal Homeless on my property, I don't want to loose my HK

yes, it's a felony to attack a senior citizen such as myself on his own property, but do I get my firearm back IF I have to use it?
Depends on the county... King? Pierce? Thuston? Probably not for a LONG time. And heaven help you if your ventilated attacker happens to be BILAPOC. Unless, of course, you yourself are BILAPOC. And do whatever you can to stay off Turd Ferguson's radar. You'll wish you'd just let the tweaker stab you in the throat.

Last Edited:
Everyone I know that has leagally blasted someone got there gun back...eventually.
A guy who doinked a tweaker at the Jack-In-The-Box drive thru in Bend got his back in about a week as I understand it. Tweaker stuck a knife in dude's face through his open car window. Dude knocked tweaker into the weeds with 3-4 well-placed JHPs. Even woke Bend PD didn't even think about holding the guy who clearly shot in self defense and was able to clearly articulate reasonable fear. For reference, That JITB is right behind Bend's main homeless encampment. I call it "Little San Francisco."

a Glock is a tool
an HK VP9 is a fine example of German Engineering that just happens to shoot bullets

a Glock feels like a brick in your hand
an HK VP9 feels like a fine goatskin glove

but I do own a Glock and trust my life and the safety of my family with it
I know guys that use $400 framing hammers to frame houses with for fs sake. Your x$ safe queef isn't really impressing anyone.

I know guys that use $400 framing hammers to frame houses with for fs sake. Your x$ safe queef isn't really impressing anyone.
it's not intended to impress anyone but me - and I am impressed by the trigger pull as compared to a Glock

I can shoot the HK more accurately than the Glock

so, how is a firearm I purchased and no one else has ever seen intended to impress anyone on this forum?

the intent of this post was not to show off my HK, but to ask what would happen to a firearm used in self defense

I know from other postings I'm not the only one on this forum with an HK

I thought about this too... I have a taurus and a p80 in the bedroom... id be upset not getting the p80 back but if it saved my life then I could live with it.

I only read the 1st couple posts in this thread and have seen enough.

HKVP9 is the 1st handgun i ever owned and I love mine dearly.

So to avoid losing this and make sure this hypothetical tweaker/liberal takes the front yard temperature challenge.

Get you a mossberg Maverick88, 9mm are fun to shoot and great for edc, but 00 Buck will end whatever methed up, PCP driven garbage that goes bump in the night in a big hurry.

In stock for $249 here

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads