JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For months I was seeing ads for the Solo in all of the gun rags, but then they just stopped. Certainly haven't seen any of the guns on a dealers shelves.
What's up with them?

I've seen a few for sale. I know I've brought this up before but I just don't understand the $650 pocket sized gun or in the case of the Solo CDP the $1200 pocket sized gun.

All I know is that in person they looked awful. That 1911 style safety looked like it was glued onto the wrong gun and the overall shape looked poorly thought out. Add that to the fact they were having tons of issues from jams to mags falling out and Kimber might have slowed advertising and shipping until issues were corrected.

... there's 13 Solo's listed on gunbroker.com;
... there were some quality control issues with some batches (don't know which ones) and production was changed; I have that information 3rd hand so ... Playboy has it right me thinks.

The one I recently acquired has had 400 flawless rounds. Recoil spring to be replaced at or about 1600 rounds.

The MSRP is often criticized and yes, that is a lot to palm out for something with (or without) a CT laser; up to the individual and choice.
Particularly if one is comparing to Kel-Tec PF9 (George Kellgren is a great engineer/designer/owner), Diamondback DB9, Kahr CW9/PM9, Beretta Nano, SIG P290 ... to mention a few and others in this same pocket nine category.

I like mine, how it shoots and groups, how it feels, looks and disappears into a IWB for carry.
The dimensions are almost identical to the SIG P238 I have. The Solo extended mag is available very soon ...
I don't mind having to use self defense 124/147 gr HP (as Kimber recommend)... that's what it's for ... EDC.

Reminds me ... to call the local gun shop I frequent and remove myself from the waiting list; I think I'm 16th in line or something like that.

Yeah I was thinking they are all back at the factory getting rebuilt.
Bad blow for Kimber,being thee BIG dog for a bit in the 1911 world then quality issues and now these?

They should just buy them all back,melt them down and start over.

I had tried to buy one for about a year and finally went with the Sig P290 instead. My dealer recently visited Kimber and I asked him about the Solo's production and lack of availability. He said they'd had some quality issues with the recoil springs (Kimber recommends only two types of high end ammo that will work with the Solo's recoil springs) and were function testing every single pistol before it went out......He still is not stocking any.

It's not that high on Kimber's priority list.

I'm hoping that Kimber sells the design to a company that can actually produce them in sufficient quantities and at a lower price point.

Keith's had one in the case that had been sold when I was in there the last week of December. A buddy and I had a chance to handle it. It was a really nice gun and was very smooth in functioning. My buddy is going to buy one in a few years. Another friend and his dad have a pair in order locally. I think its a nice gun, but not worth what they are asking.

Per the OPs original question. I think they cut back on the ads because they can't keep up with demand they have already. Also if memory serves they had a recall on them at some point right after the initial release. Just a guess no facts to back it up.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

I have heard people rave and people complain about the Solo. I owned one Kimber. A TLE II that i traded. I got a fair, good trade, but I sure miss my Kimber. That TLE was so smooth and sweet after it broke in. I'm tearing up just thinking about it. My point is that I am sure Kimber will do the right thing and either correct the problems or deal with folks on a case by case basis to satisfy their customers. I like Kimber, I wish them well and I hope the Solo doesn't become their Edsel. Kip.

My local FFL has had a couple on order since they first came out --still no guns. He called the other day while I was there, to see if he might be seeing one soon; no such luck. Could be a long time before I actually get to touch one.

I have also been part of a thread talking about Kel-Tec and specifically the new KSG. I guess top to bottom, Keltec to Kimber, bugs need to be worked out. I had no idea that the Solo was so hard to get your hands on(simply because I have never looked for one). Keltec with the PMR30, Ruger with the SR1911 and Kimber with the Solo, among others that I am no doubt forgetting. When are gun makers going to realize that America is still buying guns and when a new product like the ones above are announced, people start saving their pennies for the "release date"? Release date comes and goes and no guns are found. Within one week a few examples pop up on auction sites for sometimes triple the value. Thje SR1911 was "released" in May 2011. I got my hands on one only by showing up to a promotional event in October early and standing in line after "securing" one with a friendly gun store employee. Had I waited for it to be on shelves, I still would be waiting. Did you know that $100 of Ruger stock purchased the summer prior to He Who Sold Our Country To The Devil was elected is now worth $532? In 3.5 years. You can't get that return on gold these days. My point is that America is buying guns. Work the bugs out in R&D and get us the product, lest something else shiny catch my eye and my SR1911(or PMR30, or Solo) money is otherwise spent while I'm in the store looking for something that doesn't exist. You'd think this manufacturer/consumer, supply/demand thing would be understood by now. At the same time, I am no "insider" that claims to know how it works at a firearm manufacturer. It just seems like simple, solid business practice to me. Kip.

If this was a Taurus or Charter Arms I can just imagine how many people would be yelling about another "junk" gun, but since it's a Kimber it's just a minor problem and they'll fix it soon.

I gave up trying to find a Solo and bought a couple more Kahr's.

As with any kimber, you're paying for the roll mark on the side, that's about it. Sure it may be better quality than entry level competition, but their quality is no where near a "premium" level.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top