JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Went to shoot my Taurus PT111 Mil Pro 9mm today - fired a few rounds then a spectacular jam....looked down and I noticed that the spring assembly was protruding out of the slide....what the heck? How would this happen and how do I fix it? I take very good care of my arms and I've got about 500 rounds down the pipe on this one....never a problem. Here are a couple pics - I can't seem to get it out with ease and I don't want to force it....am I stuck sending this in?

65a48d02.jpg

80c22710.jpg

Thanks!

Pulled my PT-145 out and looked at the manual. I can't see any way for that to happen. Thought maybe the recoil spring was in backwards but, if it's anything like the .45 it's not.

That's amazing if the guide rod pushed its way through the smaller opening. The head of the guide rod doesn't look deformed. Are there any cracks or stresses in or around the opening? Is it still April 1st?

No cracks or apparent deformation. And, no, as much as I wish it was, this is not an April fool's joke. I was pretty shocked when I looked down and saw this. I'm a bit perplexed and I fear that my gun will be taking a trip to Miami.

Either the end of the guide rod has sheered off or the ridge inside the guide rodloop? on the bottom of the slide has gone away.
So I would push the spring and guide rod back through the hole and take a closer look.
Maybe just need the guide rod
Pull the spring away from the barrel at the middle before you try to push it back through.

Well I went to the Taurus site and googled the gun.Apparently there has been guide rod issues.There is a part that sits on the end that holds the spring (retainer)
I opened up the "info" for the expanded view and it was too big for the screen,so I couldn't shut the window,lol.I was trying to put the picture on here.
Anyway,if you look at your brochure,you should have the expanded view of the gun and will be able to see what part is missing. Or go to the Taurus site.
Like I said,seems to have been a problem in the past,so they may just send you the part.

Good luck

Brochure link
http://www.taurususa.com/pdf/polymer_pistol_manual.pdf

Thanks all! I appreciate the good info here. Now, any ideas how to get it out? I've tried both forward and backward - but the stops keep it from going through the end either way.

There's always one. And thanks for the help - BTW - I tried to "unscrew" it, but it stops at the end - not quite sure how much force I should apply without risking further damage.

If the end of the rod is plastic,which I'm guessing it is,as it is just a retainer,I would just pop it out with a punch.Try to scratch the rod end to see if it is steel or plastic,first.You don't want to hurt the slide.
But this,or a dremmil,is the only way to get it out now.Either pop it with a hammer or screw it back up and use the dremmil to take the rod end down enough to get it through the hole.(move the spring out the way too.)
Then get a new retainer or a new guide rod. Just try not to hurt the slide

Good luck

It will take some effort to unscrew it all the way. You have to put enough force on it to get past the tightly spaced end coils. It probably will mar the finish a little on the end though. Other than that, I think your only other choice would be to send it back to Taurus. Sending it back may not be such a bad idea anyway, since somehow it happened once it may happen again. Taurus can check it out and determine if the slide or spring needs repair or replacement.

If the end of the rod is plastic,which I'm guessing it is,as it is just a retainer,I would just pop it out with a punch.Try to scratch the rod end to see if it is steel or plastic,first.You don't want to hurt the slide.
But this,or a dremmil,is the only way to get it out now.Either pop it with a hammer or screw it back up and use the dremmil to take the rod end down enough to get it through the hole.(move the spring out the way too.)
Then get a new retainer or a new guide rod. Just try not to hurt the slide

Good luck

I checked mine and it does look like its plastic, I pulled the spring away from the end and could not see any easy way to get it apart. The spring and rod don't look like they were made to come apart, at least not that I could see. Hopefully I'm wrong and it can come apart.

My suggestion?

Make sure there isn't a live round in the chamber and send that sucker in to Taurus AS IS. Obviously there is a flaw and it needs to be addressed. Even if you managed to get the guide rod out what were you going to do, put it back together and take it back out to the range? Replace the guide rod and "hope for the best"? Instead of removing the very damaging evidence that shows there is something wrong with your gun, leave it that way to be inspected by some Taurus gun inspector so they don't have to guess what needs fixing, they can see with their own eyes!

Amen to that. Leaving it "as is" also let's whatever smith works on your gum get a better idea of how, or if, it can be fixed. If you pull it apart, they may also find a way to say you did something wrong that caused the problem. Call Taurus, demand they pay for shipping, and send it back.

+1 on the send it back to Taurus as is. If they see the failure, then your chances of a good outcome increase. My guess is that they will replace the slide and guide rod/spring assy's.

Update: I called Taurus. Instead of having me send the gun in, they will be sending me a new recoil spring assembly at no charge. They instructed me to go ahead and remove recoil assembly and indicated that I may have to cut the end off to remove it - of course being careful not to damage the slide. I will update again once I receive the part. The guy I spoke with was very helpful and was very accommodating.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top