JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I hunt with an old Mossberg 7 mm Rem mag that was handed down to me from my uncle which was handed down to him from my grandfather. It still shoots fine and the ammo i normally use is 154 gr Hornady American Whitetail ($25). Well this past fall before hunting season i had the idea to change my ammo to something "better", which goes against my normal philosophy of, "if it aint broke, don't fix it". Anyway i did some research and decided to get a box of Hornady Precision Hunter, which if I remember right is just north of $50 a box. Took it out to check what kind of groups i could get with it and started at 100 yds. Since it was already zeroed with the American Whitetail ammo i figured I didn't need a close shot to get it on paper. 2 shots later the paper isn't scratched. I move up to 75 yds, still didnt hit paper.. i move up to 50 and then 25, still the target is new. At this point I'm beyond confused and frustrated, i walk up 10 feet from the target and shoot this dandy of a hole... (pictured below) i then returned to 100 yds with the cheaper ammo and made a nice group right where it should be, its not the gun, it has to be the ammo. Also a week later i dropped a nice mule deer using the same gun with the American Whitetail ammo. I'm hoping somebody can tell me why my gun does just fine with the cheaper ammo but has the nice expensive stuff just tumble out the barrel! All the reviews online were that the Hornady Precision Hunter is amazing ammo.

1C1A98A9-9C75-4BE2-874A-1DDD9CC67913.jpeg EE403821-9309-4514-9A4D-7457393E0AEF.jpeg

Do you think by chance the polymer tip may be catching on something on the way out as it's more maluable then brass? In the paper the polymer tips looks a little deformed on the left hand side just a quess not an expert. But I want to lean more twords BigGames opion that the twist rate is probly really slow. They recommend 1:9 twist for 164grain and up

Screenshot_20200310-235124.jpg

Last Edited:
I just had that happen with my 5.56. Waiting on a suppressor so i bought a box of subsonic ammo. I forget how heavy the bullets are, but its way up there. My 5.56 has a 7 twist barrel though, so i figured i was good. First shot at 25 yards did that.

They have online calculators to determine what bullet weight and type might approach optimum relative to a given twist rate because nobody got time for that.

Thanks for the input! I'm not sure what the twist rate is on it but it seems the consensus is that that was my issue. I had no idea that was even possible! I'll definitely be sticking to what has been working though lol. Is there a way to check your barrel twist?

Once you have the rate of twist, you can check an online calculator to see whether your rifle will stabilize a given bullet. I prefer the JBM calculator, because it includes a variable for ballistic tips.

You'll also need the bullet length and length of the ballistic tip. For whatever reason, Hornady doesn't like to publish these, so look here.

I can't add anything constructive to why that happened...

All I know is that is pretty freaking cool. Near perfect side impact! That target would be a keeper for me.

I'd also be sending that image to Hornady to see what they say on the matter. Especially since the box cost $50.

Once you have the rate of twist, you can check an online calculator to see whether your rifle will stabilize a given bullet. I prefer the JBM calculator, because it includes a variable for ballistic tips.

You'll also need the bullet length and length of the ballistic tip. For whatever reason, Hornady doesn't like to publish these, so look here.
Awesome, thanks! Thats new to me! I'll look into it!

I can't add anything constructive to why that happened...

All I know is that is pretty freaking cool. Near perfect side impact! That target would be a keeper for me.

I'd also be sending that image to Hornady to see what they say on the matter. Especially since the box cost $50.
I still can't believe they sell 7 mag named Buck Master or whatever. I mean come on, ya think?

My guess, a problem with bullet/barrel compatibility. You said "old Mossberg," could have a twist which your fancy Hornady Precision Hunter ammo doesn't like. Looks like that ammo only comes in 162 gr. bullet weight, not that much more than your 154 gr. Hornady American Whitetail. But maybe your barrel doesn't like the ELD bullet which is a different design than the Interlock bullet used on the Amer. Whitetail ammo. General guidance for 7mm Rem Mag bullet weights and twists:

1 in 9" Twist Rate: 160 - 175 grain bullets
1 in 9.5" Twist Rate: 140 - 160 grain bullets
1 in 10" Twist Rate: 115 - 140 grain bullets

Because the 154 gr. Interlock bullet works well in your rifle, likely bullet design is more of a factor. If you compare cut-aways of both bullets, it looks to me like the ELD has a weight bias toward the rear that the Interlock doesn't have. The ELD has a longer profile for the same weight; generally long bullets like a faster twist to stabilize them. That keyholed bullet hole in your top picture was definitely made by one that was not stabilized. You know what to do.

Sometimes bullet selection on an individual rifle can be befuddling. I had a Ruger 77 in 7mm Mauser that I could never get to shoot right with anything but a single weight of bullet. No matter what I did.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top