JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A lot of people are faced with what handgun to buy for self defense, especially if it's their first.

So my question to you all is, what do you trust to protect your life?

I know what I'm partial to, but I'd like to hear what the NWF members carry or reach for when something goes bump in the middle of the night.

My beretta px4 storm

I keep it loaded with 20+1 of +p GDHP and it has a tlr-2 tactical laser/light combo hanging off of the front and trijicons up top.
It sits within arms reach while I sleep, and I sleep more soundly because of it.

I have over 20,000 rounds through that gun and not a single malfunction of any kind. Every time i've ever pulled the trigger on a loaded chamber, that gun has fired without hesitation. It is the standard by which I judge reliability.

I trust my 1911. It is loaded with critical defense rounds. I may not have many rounds, but each round will do what it is supposed to do. Now it is train, train train. You can have the best hand gun made, but it is not of much use unless you train with THAT gun. MTC

For around the house, I prefer a shotgun for things that go bump in the night. Less chance of stray rounds and being sued.

S&W 386 PD 7 shot revolver loaded with .38 plus P. There is also my Beretta M9 loaded with Ranger SXT. Those would be the primary handguns but I trust all of them or I wouldn't own such a firearm. If I grab the 1917 Webley Mark VI by mistake I'm confident its six .45 ACP Hydra Shoks would do the job. In the end, you are the weapon, not the instrument you choose to wield... :)

glock 23 by the bed with speer gold dot's loaded in it, and for daily carry every time i step out of the house a taurus pt740 slim also loaded with speer gold dot's

Glock 23, always! I have a factory 22rd mag in my truck and in my bedroom, so no matter where I am, there's one nearby. If you can't fight your way back to a rifle... atleast fight your way back to a bigger mag! haha

Glock 26 with Trijicon night sights. I like the idea of using a cheaper round that I can practice more with and become a better marksmen then having a larger/more expensive bullet.

GlockPistols001.jpg

Any one of these 6 fit the bill nicely. Bill T.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one that's in my hands when I need it!

The one you can shoot!!!

I'm guessing this isn't quite what the OP was looking for but I agree with you guys. I trust them all; or maybe more to the point I don't trust any of them. The gun is a tool and won't do anything to save my life unless I use the tool properly. All guns have the ability to be useful in a self defense situation just like all guns have the ability to fail. None of them do any good at home and unfired.

My primary carry gun is a Kimber Custom (go figure) 4" 1911. I carry a HK USP from time to time and keep a G17 in the bedroom and an AR in the office. Given my druthers I'd take any of these over a Jennings .22 but if that's my only option I'd take that over nothing.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top