Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

What handgun do you trust to save your life?

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by ORHunter79, May 29, 2011.

1. ORHunter79

ORHunter79 ... Active Member

A lot of people are faced with what handgun to buy for self defense, especially if it's their first.

So my question to you all is, what do you trust to protect your life?

I know what I'm partial to, but I'd like to hear what the NWF members carry or reach for when something goes bump in the middle of the night.

2. MrNiceGuy

MrNiceGuy between springfield and shelbyville Well-Known Member

My beretta px4 storm

I keep it loaded with 20+1 of +p GDHP and it has a tlr-2 tactical laser/light combo hanging off of the front and trijicons up top.
    It sits within arms reach while I sleep, and I sleep more soundly because of it.

I have over 20,000 rounds through that gun and not a single malfunction of any kind. Every time i've ever pulled the trigger on a loaded chamber, that gun has fired without hesitation. It is the standard by which I judge reliability.

3. Bodyguard

Bodyguard Portland Member 2016 Volunteer

I trust my 1911. It is loaded with critical defense rounds. I may not have many rounds, but each round will do what it is supposed to do. Now it is train, train train. You can have the best hand gun made, but it is not of much use unless you train with THAT gun. MTC

For around the house, I prefer a shotgun for things that go bump in the night. Less chance of stray rounds and being sued.

4. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

Kimber ultra carry with a .38 as back up.

5. taroman

taroman Willamette Valley Active Member

The one that's in my hands when I need it!

6. evltwn

evltwn Gold Hill Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I rotate them from the safe...Kimber .45, XDm 9mm, model 60 .357... and a Surefire light on the nightstand.

7. glockguy

glockguy Albany Oregon Well-Known Member

My glock 30.45 or my SnW M&P .45c

8. jordanvraptor

jordanvraptor Oregon City, Oregon Well-Known Member

S&W 386 PD 7 shot revolver loaded with .38 plus P. There is also my Beretta M9 loaded with Ranger SXT. Those would be the primary handguns but I trust all of them or I wouldn't own such a firearm. If I grab the 1917 Webley Mark VI by mistake I'm confident its six .45 ACP Hydra Shoks would do the job. In the end, you are the weapon, not the instrument you choose to wield... :)

9. jaweber

jaweber Yakima Member

glock 23 by the bed with speer gold dot's loaded in it, and for daily carry every time i step out of the house a taurus pt740 slim also loaded with speer gold dot's

10. YFZsandrider

YFZsandrider Tacoma, Wa Member

Glock 23, always! I have a factory 22rd mag in my truck and in my bedroom, so no matter where I am, there's one nearby. If you can't fight your way back to a rifle... atleast fight your way back to a bigger mag! haha

11. chase

chase Wilsonville, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Glock 26 with Trijicon night sights. I like the idea of using a cheaper round that I can practice more with and become a better marksmen then having a larger/more expensive bullet.

12. billt

billt Glendale, Arizona Active Member

GlockPistols001.jpg

Any one of these 6 fit the bill nicely. Bill T.

GlockPistols001.jpg

13. ikari2_2000

ikari2_2000 Seattle, WA Member

Glock 19 Gen3

14. glockguy

glockguy Albany Oregon Well-Known Member

+1+1+1!!!!!! That's Wat im Talkin about

GlockPistols001.jpg

15. YFZsandrider

YFZsandrider Tacoma, Wa Member

oh man! the glock haters are fuming right now!!

16. spider

spider Hillsboro Well-Known Member

My Kimber tle/rl 2 has been very faithful to my needs with one hiccup its whole life.

17. DERGLOCKINMEISTER

DERGLOCKINMEISTER SPRINGFIELD OREGON Member

I have several , Glock 26 , Glock 19 , Glock 17 , Glock 34 , notice a pattern here ?

18. enjr4

enjr4 Renton, WA Active Member

The one you can shoot!!!

19. moparmike440

moparmike440 SW WA Member

It's an HK for me 40SW or 45

Redcap and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Kimber Custom

Kimber Custom Vancouver, WA Bronze Vendor Bronze Vendor

I'm guessing this isn't quite what the OP was looking for but I agree with you guys. I trust them all; or maybe more to the point I don't trust any of them. The gun is a tool and won't do anything to save my life unless I use the tool properly. All guns have the ability to be useful in a self defense situation just like all guns have the ability to fail. None of them do any good at home and unfired.

My primary carry gun is a Kimber Custom (go figure) 4" 1911. I carry a HK USP from time to time and keep a G17 in the bedroom and an AR in the office. Given my druthers I'd take any of these over a Jennings .22 but if that's my only option I'd take that over nothing.