JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Glock hater club is like Stihl hater club...No time for either of em.

Are there still people who argue about chain saw brands? OK, dumb question; we argue about everything, don't we? It's like a human nature thing.

It's been a very long time since I've worked in the woods, on the farm mostly; I'm not a logger. We used mostly Stihl saws. I love them. I still have my old 026, bullet hole and all (that's another story).

A long time ago my brother-in-law wanted a chain saw, asked my advice. I told him for what he wanted to spend, he should watch the classified ads for a used, older Stihl, as we lived in a logging community and at certain times of the year you could pick up great deals on used saws. Instead he went to Walmart and bought a consumer-grade "Poulan" saw. It felt like a toy that would fall apart if you did more than trim limbs in the back yard, a tiny fraction of the quality of a real saw.

It's kind of like Remington 700's, they used to be THE goto for a modern quality rifle from a company who had manufacturing and accuracy down to a science like few others, nothing screamed accurate like a factory custom 700 or 40X, look at them today, absolute junk with pot metal instead of forgings, and cheap plastic! I didn't think they could screw up the 870, I was wrong! :(:(
I've been hearing that for a long time now, so sad. I have a bunch of 700s, nearly all from the '60s through the '80s. The last one I bought was in 2002. The older ones are really nice. I haven't hunted in 20+ years so every once in a while I get the idea I should sell my hunting rifles, but then I get them out and go through them, and just can't seem to get myself to thin the herd.

Last Edited:
I don't have a Model 700, but I do have a couple of 721's and a 722, as well an a early Model 7 in .243 that is so slick and nice and shoots like a dream! And the Model 660, funky cool little carbine that is amazing. Also have a Remington built 1903, but that doesn't really count!

People tend to overlook those old 721s and 722s, but they are pretty good rifles! I picked one up a few years ago for something like $150, because the stock was butchered and unsalvageable. I posted about it on another forum, and a guy sent me a stock he had lying around for $20. It fit like a glove, and that old rifle shoots minute-of-angle groups consistently! It's got 60+ years of honest wear on the finish, but I still love it.

Don't get me wrong...1911's a nice looking pistol that shoots straight and has been around a while. I just can't justify myself spending money on one. If I do it'll just be one of those "have it just to have it" firearms. Like a SCAR or an AUG or a PS90 or F2000 and so on. All comes down to what folks like. Different likes for different folks. I don't give a darn either way.

A "Space Age" Remington Model 81.

Man, I'd love to own one of the Model 81 'Special Police' versions.
321.jpg

So many answers....

I see a lot of gun bashing going on, may not like a particular gun, but are you really 'stumped' by their popularity? (Glocks and 10/22) hahaha

really though, I want to 2nd a couple guns mentioned earlier

First, what the hell is with the AR style shotguns? Big blocky overpriced guns with 5rnd magazines... whoo! Take my money!

Second, Colt AR15s... Is it just a Boomer nostalgia name recognition thing? Honestly I havent looked at them in a while, but they always seemed over priced for a basic milspec rifle... I would put my multi-branded home build up against any colt out there... Really, its pretty much anything that says Colt on it... maybe the older DA revolvers get a little credit, but thats it.

Also have a lot of hate for the micro red dots on pistols.... but I understand the appeal...

Second, Colt AR15s... Is it just a Boomer nostalgia name recognition thing? Honestly I havent looked at them in a while, but they always seemed over priced for a basic milspec rifle... I would put my multi-branded home build up against any colt out there... Really, its pretty much anything that says Colt on it... maybe the older DA revolvers get a little credit, but thats it.
My first AR was a Colt HBAR 20 years ago. For what I paid for it, when you consider inflation, you could buy at least 2 or 3 usable ARs nowadays (well, last year at least). Never have I been so disappointed in a gun. I had always wanted an AR, figured this would be the creme de la creme. The trigger was lousy, and no matter what I tried, it wouldn't shoot much better that 2moa, as I recall. Eventually I got it to shoot how I wanted it to, with a whole new upper and trigger. It still says "Colt" on it, though!

AR anything. I just don't get it. Anything that has a forward-assist built into it seems a little strange to me.

Kimber. I've owned them. I don't anymore.

Pimped out Glocks. You think you can tune a gun better than the Austrian engineers? Ok, keep milling away metal out of that slide.

There, I feel better now...

Well, since we're going there... suppressors.

I really have nothing against them, and have absolutely nothing against you owning them. If they're your thing, that's great. More power to you.

If they were completely deregulated and cheap, I might get one, just to see what all the hooplah is about. Since I only shoot at the range and always have quality hearing protection, I just don't think they're my cup of tea.

Well, since we're going there... suppressors.

I really have nothing against them, and have absolutely nothing against you owning them. If they're your thing, that's great. More power to you.

If they were completely deregulated and cheap, I might get one, just to see what all the hooplah is about. Since I only shoot at the range and always have quality hearing protection, I just don't think they're my cup of tea.
When my buddy brings his .308 remington with suppressor to the range, they let him shoot for about 30 minutes every 2 hours to test the various subsonic loads. They only charge him for the time he actually shoots too. Its interesting to not hear it.

It helps mitigate damage to the eardrums if hunting without earpro, sort of. Iicr there's someone making soft points meant to expand at subsonic velocities too.

If I ever get around to converting my saiga to an AK-105 I might get a suppressor too (if I'm gonna do NFA anyways why not go further down the hole?).

I've got a pile of silencers. Mostly home made so they don't cost much. The $200 stamp? That used to be real money when they started the NFA now it's the price of a Craigslist hooker or so I've heard. Best thing is you can stop going to ranges, stop wearing the hearing protection and just find a quiet spot in the woods without bothering anyone.

I've got a pile of silencers. Mostly home made so they don't cost much. The $200 stamp? That used to be real money when they started the NFA now it's the price of a Craigslist hooker or so I've heard. Best thing is you can stop going to ranges, stop wearing the hearing protection and just find a quiet spot in the woods without bothering anyone.
That seems steep for a hooker. For $20 a lot lizard will do anything I want her to do. Usually means I get to watch someone else roll my tarps out instead. :rolleyes:

Modern Remington anything's but mostly the 870, still a good platform just horribly executed, new Remington 870s compete with the Chinese no-names as far as quality control and rust prevention. The other firearms I don't understand are modern bolt action hunting rifles that cost over $500, Ruger Americans, Savage Axis and the like put out rifles with consistent accuracy at expensive dinner money and I don't worry about them like an old model 70 or the like, For $500 bucks you could be starting to save up for a new Weatherby or you could walk out the door with a stainless Savage with a useable scope that will shoot just as straight in the woods.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top