JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Come to think of it, a lot of, though not all, of the stuff Cobray put out in the totally rad 80s. Chief among the "why the hell is this a thing?" would be the Terminator:

Ugly as sin, slam fire, unreliable, uncomfortable to shoot ... why? Throw in the fact there are plenty of inexpensive, reliable, single-shot 12-gauge shotguns, both then and now, and it is even more ridiculous.

DAO semis
That rifle with the mag that goes behind the trigger...
laser sights
slide cutouts
1911 bushing compensators

I'll admit to some off beat tastes, including a wacky lever-gun build, but agreed that seeing the 464 SPX made me die inside a little. And by a little, I mean a lot. :eek:

View attachment 720313

well thankfully Henry had a little more taste when they stepped outside the box... We picked up a Henry X series in 44 and it was very tastefully modernized...the side gate and threaded barrel is what really made it a must get.
067A415A-A627-4DEA-9A10-349BD728DD94.png

/THREAD

Seriously though. Glock is like an old relic from the 1980s. They are the Apple Computer of guns. They somehow have been successful at convincing the masses that they need to trade in their functional/reliable iPhone3, for the newest iPhone4, then for the newest iPhone5, then for the newest iPhone5s etc. etc. etc. W T F # are they on for iPhones these days anyways?

It's as if Glock is supposed to be "Perfection", right? Why do they keep tinkering with it? Does that Gen5 G19 do anything much better than the Gen4 or Gen3?

Hey Glock makes a plastic pistol that works, and they absolutely deserve all credit due for being pioneers in that dept.

The reality is that a bunch of other gun companies make plastic pistols that work that are also better designs than Glocks - both functionally and ergonomically.

Walther, HK, S&W, FN H, CZ(I wish I could currently say SIG) etc. have all left Glock in the dust, or the '80s.

Oh, and those rifles where you have to shove the bullet down the muzzle with a stick, then figure out just the right amount powder to put next to your face that won't blow you up. Who wants to deal with that nonsense? ;)

Any pocket mouse guns. Like the LCP and others. I don't get it. They are miserable to shoot, most folks BARELY ever do shoot them but are completely comfortable carrying them. I think a persons EDC should be the gun they shoot the best. And the most.

And the 10/22. Or any other .22lr gun. It's a lousy caliber for most anything "real".

This. I have a .22lr pistol that i bought for popping bobcats in traps at point blank. But for anything else i dont see the appeal of .22lr. Even for whistle pigs, i use .22wmr. Anything a .22lr can do, you could do better with a .22 wmr.

I get why an mp5 might be expensive.

Not me.

In fact, a SA MP5(SP5) would likely be my consolation pick for this thread.

The MP5 is an SMG. It's not like a carbine rifle that still has practical use as a select-fire weapon. (Stockless) SMGs are designed for spray and pray/shoot from the hip CQB. They're not designed/intended to be shouldered for aimed shots from afar. An MP5K needs to be full-auto to be an MP5K.

Paying $2000? $2500? $3000? for what essentially is a neutered mp5K is so quintessentially American. Can't easily acquire the real thing w/out shelling out 10s of Ks and a stamp. "Buh buh buh, I got me something that looks like one" Congrats. You got yourself an over-sized SA handgun. Can anyone say impractical for what its intended use is?

I see firearms as tools. A SA SP5 is something to show off at the range to your buddies that all wish they're John McClane. A SA SBR is much more practical for serious up-close and personal social work.

Taurus Judge
I have a few guns in my safes, Sig Mosquito, TNW ASR, that suck for their intended purpose, and ask myself "why did I buy that?"
A whole cottage industry spring up to this, devoted to making the littlest Ruger shoot better then it ever did, but WHY? Having seen people dropping THOUSANDS on parts and accessories, and it's "Just" a .22, I just don't get it!
The industry sprang up because the original product sucked. Lipstick on a pig.
As far as "it's just a 22", looking at all those kids with their souped-up 1/4 ton Nissan pickups, or the kids I knew who invested hundreds in habitrails for their gerbil -- I never understood that either.
Now, a high quality 22 is a worthwhile investment and fun to shoot. If you look at all 22 shooing @Reno did with his, he definitely honed skillz using the lowly cartridge.
The wild popularity of the Mosin years back. I suspected, now know, most of the interest was the low price tag. Remove that and they aren't talked about much anymore.
One more hail to @Reno -- you haven't shot one of his Mosin conversions. Bad arse guns is an understatement.
Any ar15 still made that doesnt have a free floated rail. (That isnt a repro or some kinda clone). Like how in the hell are polymer shell handguards still put on production rifles?
Cheap to build and you can still deliver 1moa with one.
Hey Glock makes a plastic pistol that works, and they absolutely deserve all credit due for being pioneers in that dept.
HK deserves that credit.
1594381819630.png

Oh, and those rifles where you have to shove the bullet down the muzzle with a stick, then figure out just the right amount powder to put next to your face that won't blow you up. Who wants to deal with that nonsense? ;)
Yeah who would enjoy all of that....those guys are crazy....Err wait...:eek:
Must be the lack of coffee talkin'....:D
Andy

How have High Point pistols not gotten a shout-out yet?
All reports say they're boringly reliable, and they sell enough of em to stay in business... but there are much higher quality handguns available for not much more $$.
The carbines got a mention, but I think I understand their appeal: It's ugly, but at least it's cheap. Nothing else in the PCC market approaches its price point, it's got the whole segment wrapped-up.

I remain a little confused over the incredible popularity of AR pistols.

I also don't get the crazy level of loyalty to Glock. They're fine but, dang man... it's just another plastic gun.
Yeah yeah yeah, they spearheaded the market, but that was 40 years ago.
I dont see that sort of blind brand loyalty to Ford because Henry mainstreamed production in the 1900s. Or Kelvinator for making refrigerators available to the general public.
Kind of like a political candidate... I'll vote for one, but you ain't gonna see me get all excited, put up signs, canvass districts for em, and go to rallies.

Last Edited:
My Kimbers all work flawlessly, doesn't know why all the hate!

In my case, expensive rifle with cosmetic and functioning flaws. Had to send it back on my own dime. They fixed the cosmetic issues and danced right by the functioning issue.

Bolt action rifle not feeding well? At least it LOOKS nice....

• The wild popularity of the Mosin years back. I suspected, now know, most of the interest was the low price tag. Remove that and they aren't talked about much anymore.
Rifle was cheap, ammo was dirt cheap, but they weren't BAD rifles. If you manage to find one with a great bore, it'd be a decent shooter. And if you find an actual former sniper (not a repro), they were pretty accurate as only the most accurate rifles were selected for that.
HK was first, Glock was just successful. Much like the British EM-2, which was the first issued bullpup (very briefly), but it was the Steyr AUG that became a success decades later.

7.62x51 pistols with actual short barrels
5.56 pistols with actual short barrels

Second the Mini-14, and I own an M1A

The Glock copies are sort of puzzling, but I guess it's a form of flattery

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class