JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sig P320. I had one and sold it. No trigger safety and a very light trigger. In addition to that there's nothing preventing the sear from being manipulated. Just the spring tension to hold it in place. This is why you can smack them and they go off. That's just asking for trouble. I'm not a Glock fan but I'd rather see our military have Glocks over the P320.

Colt produced AR's. I admit they work, but paying hundreds for a horsey roll mark is stupid unless you are looking for resale value. And, if you are going to sell it later, why even buy it in the first place?

Yeah, at one time Colt was the only game in town and you had no other choice. I keep hearing from Colt heads that other AR's or builds are range toys that you can't trust your life with while they conveniently forget to tell you that Colt lost the M4 contract to FN due to lousy quality control problems and then years later was awarded half the contract IMO due to back room politics.

Great barrels for sure, but FN makes a better one if you need something to hold up to extended machine gun rates. Others do as well. That barrel is one of the few parts Colt actually makes themselves, the rest being supplied by the same vendors that supply everybody else. They don't even make their own receivers, though they do finish them.

Nice guns, but no longer special, and not worth the extra money, especially now that they are out of civilian production and coveted by Colt heads.

Ok, you can now go ahead...

I beg to differ on the Colt Ar15s whose parts came of the same assembly lines as the US Military contract rifles meeting the same testing requirements Testing and inspecting just about every part just cost more. Not saying that pony itself does not add to the cost some but quality workers and quality testing is not a minimum wage job and something most companies do not bother doing.

With aftermarket companies they do not have to test parts they can sell them and if its bad simply have the customer return the part for a replacement. Since Colt rifles are built for battle fields you simply can not just return a part if the extractor breaks or if the safety detent gets stuck or if it gas port was drilled too small or too large or if the barrel can not withstand rapid fire in a Afghan desert. They simple could not say hey we are doing a run of civilian rifles skip the testing whereas other companies could and get hailed as having great customer service because they replaced a out of spec part and threw in a free sticker.

However I do agree with you in that since we are civilians and unlikely to be thrown in an Afghan desert and can simply send an email to a friendly customer service staff person who will get a new part in the mail asap there is no real need to buy a Colt other than to have that Pony roll mark and to feel the warm and fuzzies of owning one.

Last Edited:
I think I just bought the worst model they make? I have thought about a 19

I have a 19, that's the middle sized 9mm. Which I've liked. When a 23 came along in .40 at a good price, I bought it. Never liked it, recently found a new owner for it. The .40 was a bit more recoil than the 9mm for the same size than I cared for.

Any pocket mouse guns. Like the LCP and others. I don't get it. They are miserable to shoot, most folks BARELY ever do shoot them but are completely comfortable carrying them.

LCP = Little Clown Pistol. Had one, it went away fast. Cheap was the draw, but not worth keeping. Highly uncomfortable to shoot.

Modern in-line muzzle loading rifles and their related accoutrements.
They are "muzzle loading " , only 'cause the load that way....everything else about them is just like a modern rifle.

It's a "get around" design. Lets guys shoot in muzzle loading season with what is essentially a modern arm. Fair definition of working the angles.

There are lots of guns whose popularity stumps me for one reason or another.

The Colt revolving rifle , musket and shotgun....were around and hunting ...when all there was , was black powder and such....
I understand this reasoning but it's all about leveling the 'playing field' to one shot as part of the rules.

On the 'flip side' I have heard some whine about not being able to hunt with their 'hi cap' AR mags because ' Now I have to go out a buy a 5 round Mag' (as per Oregon rules anyway)

Red dot sights give a crazy advantage over iron sights. Why would you not carry a firearm with a red dot sight? The monetary investment? Comfort? The pros far outweigh the cons. You wouldn't bring a rifle to combat in 2020 without some form of modern optic.
And also @Dinglenutz Between lint/debris, scuffs, rain and other obstructions and noticing what all collects on my CC pistol (no matter how well maintained) the idea of an RMR for potential practical, close distance engagements makes no sense. I fully agree on optics and range use (my eyes too arent all that great and they arent getting better either).

So range and competition.. that is another story completely and why I made note of its exception in my original post. If I worked a static office job, I guess I could see keeping an RMR equiped pistol ultra clean because I could better control elements around me..

But doing my blue collar job with my own personal experience in terms of on the body carry.. I just dont see it being at all practical. Same goes for night sights and practical engagement.. I think its a gimmick and guys pay big money for something that isn't all that practical, again range and competition being the exception.

YMMV but my opinion is simply based off my own CC experience. However its always fun to hear opposing views and others take so counter opinions to my own are always welcome. :s0155:

I understand this reasoning but it's all about leveling the 'playing field' to one shot as part of the rules.

On the 'flip side' I have heard some whine about not being able to hunt with their 'hi cap' AR mags because ' Now I have to go out a buy a 5 round Mag' (as per Oregon rules anyway)

But leveling the playing field...was not my point.

One is using an actual firearm* that was there , when all that was around was muzzle loading firearms and black powder .
* or replica thereof.

To say that one can use a modern in-line muzzle loader...but not a design that was actually from that era ...is stupid.
There were multi shot muzzle loading rifles around in the 1700 and 1800 hundreds...so it was not unheard of to have one to hunt with.
True they were more expensive and less common...but not unheard of .
Andy

It's not leveling anything, it's historically accurate and within the spirit of "Their" rules, they refuse to reconsider or even recognise it's long established history! Same thing with Cross Bow hunting, most wet coast states refuse to allow them, even though they predate many other means of harvesting game! This is what happens when non hunting tree hugger people are put in charge of setting hunting regs!

Piston driven Ar15s and Plastic on an Ak47.
The AK-100 series uses polymer (or aluminum with some rails if special forces feels the need). A converted saiga with wood doesn't look right. Same for the arsenal sam7r. With some, there should be wood, with others it should be polymer, and with the rest who cares? Wasrs have no dimples so never would look right, and the arsenal stamped receivers aren't really anything, nor are they a clone of anything. Except the 104s I guess.
Those big, fat, heavy, over priced Bond Arms derringers... especially in the big bore versions.
I suppose they have a certain "look" that may appeal to some, until they shoot one.
But, If you can get past the pain, at least they're inaccurate?
And if you can get past the inaccuracy... They're ugly?
High dollar tactical rifles, such as the CZ Bren, FN SCAR, etc etc. What, exactly, do they do so much better than an AR? Is it just a status thing?
Additional features not found on a standard AR, like folding stocks (without needing an adapter), sidecharging handles. On top of AR ergonomics. Beyond that, why spend boutique AR money to get an AR when you can have something else is pretty much the argument.

Modern in-line muzzle loading rifles and their related accoutrements.
They are "muzzle loading " , only 'cause the load that way....everything else about them is just like a modern rifle...Seems like a sleazy work around to hunt in the muzzle loading rifle season.
Andy
Edit to add...
Its more the outright dismissal of a traditional muzzle loader by some , not all , of the users of the in-line rifles that bothers me....
I was never much of a hunter, but a good friend of mine is. He grew up in the woods with a gun or bow in his hands. He came out to my place about 20 years ago with a new rifle, said he was getting into muzzle loader hunting. He's a bit of a traditional guy, had no use for the inline stuff. In fact, percussion was just a little modern for him. He had to have a good, old-fashioned flintlock. It took some practice but he got really good with it.

As to the topic at hand, is this thread about guns whose popularity you don't understand, or just guns you hate in general?
There are some guns I don't care for at all, and see no point for (such as .410 revolvers and lever-action rifles with collapsible plastic stocks), but when I think about it, I can understand why they are popular with some. To each their own...

Or should I just puff out my chest and show off my manly-man-ness by throwing some verbal rocks at popular guns that other people really like? :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top