JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The AK is 70
Say hello to grandma with makeup. o_O
wdqO7vvRqrA-660x423.jpg

I don't get buying something decades old, when better modern options are available.

DSC06814.jpg
How 'bout hundreds of years old...?

With the above flintlock rifle , a J.Henry Trade Rifle , circa 1800...
I have shot and killed deer with it.
None of the deer have complained that they wished that they were killed with a "better modern option"...
For where and how I hunt it would have not made a difference if I used a rifle made yesterday , with the most modern of materials and firing the latest in bullet design....

Please note that I am not saying that all firearms are equal to the same task ...I just dislike the notion that just 'cause something is old , it is no longer useful , for its original intended use.

A great deal of what makes "better options" depends on just who is using said options , and the situation that they find themselves in.
Andy

I don't get buying something decades old, when better modern options are available. Unless it has some real collector's value and it's an investment. Or a family heirloom and the likes. And that's rare for me.

Because shooting the old stuff - whether it is old in age, old in design/technology, or both - is fun.

Back in November I bought a stainless Ruger Vaquero specifically to shoot black powder cartridges. It was made in 1995 so it qualifies as decades old, and its design is even older, but it doesn't have any collector value, and it isn't a family heirloom. I had to spend more money to get the cylinder throats honed so it would shoot well. And black powder is centuries old technology.

Recently my son and I went to the range. Sure, he enjoyed shooting my modern Glock 40, but not as much as he enjoyed shooting centuries old black powder technology with my 19th century technology single action revolver.

Modern cars and planes are "better" in almost every way - more reliable, more comfortable, safer, etc. Yet people are willing to pay a lot of money to own decades old cars and planes not just for their collector value, but also for the sheer pleasure of using them.

1c4e68c4aa509545271b5abe304ed7b5729184f9.jpg
stearman-640x300.jpg

I agree that with electronics like a ham radio there isn't much attraction for older technology, but with mechanical things like cars, planes, and guns, newer and more modern isn't necessarily more fun.

You should shoot an M1 Rifle sometime if you haven't already. After shooting a clip and hearing the *ping* when the clip ejects you might understand the appeal. ;)

Last Edited:
Some of the older revolvers are simply made better then many modern counterparts, a good reason to keep
many pre-2000 revolvers. unless its a new Ruger GP100

Diamonds; Over-priced and not-at-all-rare. Yup, sounds about the same.
Its not about being a good gun or super accurate its about having a piece of American history in your hand. having one of the major guns that won world war 2 and having the history behind that gun. I agree that 1000 for a gun that cant shoot modern ammo without modification sounds a little stupid but I view it more as a collectors piece as there are only so many ww2 era rifles and the people who have them generally don't sell them.

"Boutique" high-priced AR's ($1500-$2500). I don't really get what this trend is about. It's like taking an ordinary household item from Target, like a toaster, but instead buying the gold plated version from Nordstrom. Unless you are an "Operator" this is probably not going to improve your aim.

"Boutique" high-priced AR's ($1500-$2500). I don't really get what this trend is about. It's like taking an ordinary household item from Target, like a toaster, but instead buying the gold plated version from Nordstrom. Unless you are an "Operator" this is probably not going to improve your aim.

I'd say that even if you were an 'operator' it wouldn't make a bit of difference.

Having shot many different variants... I can say that aside from looks and resale value
.. the LMT or Noveske rifle that cost a months pay is no more reliable or accurate than an Aero built rifle....... Or, dare I say, my own home build from 5 different manufacturers.

Especially for most shooters, who will never take their carbines past 2-300m

From my experience the curve of performance vs cost breaks over hard at 1k. 1k usually gets you a gun with a decent free floated handguard, good accurate barrel, and good trigger with comfortable furniture.

I guess for some that's important. Nothing wrong with that. Me, I'd rather have something that I'd shoot, and shoots well, than ever be concerned about it's history. But I'm also not a collector, or investor, if any money is to be made on those that do feel the nostalgia. :) Might be why I've bought and sold at least a dozen guns the past couple of years. IMO, it's a tool, not a trophy.
I feel ya that's what m1a's are for when you want a garand you can shoot.

Please note that I am not saying that all firearms are equal to the same task ...I just dislike the notion that just 'cause something is old , it is no longer useful , for its original intended use.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. My favorite handgun is slightly modified, stainless steel, but much newer version of a gun that was available over a hunnerd years ago. This isn't just like it's my favorite handgun to love and show off. It's my favorite handgun to carry and use. My hand and brain like it. It's a tool I know I can depend on. I could carry one of the old ones with similar confidence, but I really like stainless.

Advances from the last few, four, five decades in materials and manufacturing processes have been huge leaps in technology compared to what the guys making guns in WWI had available. Computer controlled machining makes it easy to stay within tolerances previously unheard of, cutting down time required, if at all, for fitting parts that before were fit by a skilled tradesman. Lighter, stronger, more weather resistant materials used make the guns "better" for hard, or specialized use. Many new guns on the market offer better accuracy and are cheaper than the older models.

It isn't hard to see the attraction in the latest and greatest, but a lot of us have old ones we feel are the "greatest" and can use them to fine effect.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top