What guns have become desirable/popular/expensive for no good reason?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by 284guy, Jan 10, 2019.

Tags:
  1. 284guy

284guy
    Albany
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

For me, I cannot understand the huge popularity of the snake guns. Yes, they are nice, quality guns, but are they worth the prices they are commanding? Yes, I understand supply and demand, but what prompted the demand?

Second, the Moisin Nagant. I’ve shot them, cumbersome, ugly, boring, unimpressive guns to shoot. I respect the history of them in defeating Nazis, but the popularity and prices I don’t understand.

Lastly, Ruger skeleton stock guns. I have and do own a few. They are not pretty, generally don’t shoot as well as other rifles in the same vintage/price point, and the recoil on the bigger calibers is obnoxious.

What guns do you feel this way about?

2. BSG 75

BSG 75
    Oregon
    Platinum Supporter Platinum Supporter

A television show and a video game. They have always been more expensive than similar revolvers from other manufacturers but the meteoric rise in prices coincided with being featured in a popular TV series and video game.

Why is the Colt Python So Popular?

600px-WalkingDeadGrimesPythonrp01.jpg
    600px-WalkingDead-ColtPyhonFence.jpg
    Rick_withColt_Python-768x413.jpg
    600px-TWDS6E15-ColtPython-1.jpg
    600px-BlackOps-Python-1.jpg
    600px-BlackOps-Python-3.jpg

I remember wanting one back in the 1980s but $600 ($1433 today with inflation) seemed too expensive. In fact, even $1433 today seems too expensive, and I'm a revolver fan. $2000-3000, forget about it. If I'm going to spend that much money on Colt revolvers I'd rather spend it on Colts from the 1920s and 1930s, and get three or four of them for the same amount of money. The fit and finish is even nicer.

YSDws8T.jpg
    DSC_1306a_zpsas0bepow.jpg

For a long time Russian/Soviet Mosins were popular because they and the ammo they use were very inexpensive. Not only were Mosins the cheapest WWII rifles you could buy, they were the cheapest centerfire rifles period. Several years ago I bought three 91/30s on sale at Big 5 for $89 each and you could buy inexpensive surplus ammo by the spam can. They provided inexpensive shooting for the common man.

The rifles are hardly being imported anymore and the surplus ammo is still available but not as cheap. Today their prices are similar to Japanese and Italian WWII rifles but they still cost hundreds less than British, American, or German WWII rifles.

Finnish Mosins on the other hand are valuable because they are not only much less common than Soviet/Russian Mosins, they are very nice and accurate rifles. If you have only shot Soviet or Chinese Mosins and not Finnish Mosins you should try one. They might change your mind about Mosins.

2ntdbtl.jpg

I have some in mind but I have found that the people who own those guns become very offended and defensive if you talk negatively about their guns - for example calling them “cumbersome, ugly, boring, unimpressive guns to shoot” - so you might want to rethink this whole topic.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    Jim Colvill, Flymph, Slobray and 3 others like this.
  3. 284guy

284guy
    Albany

Good info, guess I’m not into video games and late night tv shows.

Nah, anyone who can’t hear a differing opinion without throwing a tantrum isn’t worth the time. It’s part of being an adult, and contributing member of society.

dplev4, Taco_lean, Tom Louis and 4 others like this.
  4. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson
    Everson, Wa.
    Moderator with a Black powder affinity... Staff Member Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

Gun folks can tend to be a fickle lot and what is popular today , may have zero appeal next year.
    Sales ads along with current ideas and notions being tossed about over the TV and other social media , can also be a powerful influence .
    Andy

ATCclears, Capn Jack, Joe13 and 2 others like this.
  5. MountainBear

MountainBear
    Oregon

As I and others have mentioned before, several Keltec guns have skyrocketed in price as the company has seemingly worked hard to keep production numbers down enough to keep demand up. Apparently it worked well enough to get the CEO an industry award.

At the end of the day, all the keltec guns I’ve shot had mold lines in the plastic, hiccups in early models, and generally fail to live up to the hype.

Joe13, 808hondacrguy, JadeFox and 3 others like this.
  6. RVTECH

RVTECH
    Wickiup Junction

Kinda like a certain gun after a 1971 movie sent sales from only 2000 after introduction to over 200,000 the following year.

7. Medic!

Medic!
    What just happened
    Pain in the neck.

What guns have become desirable popular and expensive?

The ones that always were. o_O

Pythons didn't become popular recently. They were sought after from the time they were made.
    I hunted for nice examples back in the early 90's when they were asking the insane price of $1200. :eek:
    U.S. Military arms [And other countries guns] from WWI and II were also desired from the time they were first made.

What has and hasn't chanced is the price. It always goes up. And it's always too much.
    People first cry about the price being too high. Then they cry about not buying several ten years later.

Ya...……. At the price they said was too high. :D

Joe13, Pete F, 66PonyCar and 3 others like this.
  8. mkwerx

mkwerx
    Rock Creek
    Polymer Prom Queen

Glocks, XD's, Ruger P series

Glocks were $400ish guns when I got into them. Now they are $500-600 depending on model. They are still an inexpensively made mass produced simple design.

XDs were $300 guns when they were first introduced as the HS2000. Now they are $400-500

Ruger P series guns were tanks. Solid reliable guns that shoot decently. I bought a brand new one in ~2005 for $285. They stopped making them years ago and now the damn things go $350 used o_O

I'm just grumpy because everything costs more. I miss my $5 / box 9mm, and $4 / box .223. I griped that feeding my .308 was too expensive at $6-7 / box. Damn inflation...

9. 284guy

284guy
    Albany

I bought and sold a few snake guns in the 90’s. They always were more expensive, $7-900 seemed normal, but the desirability wasn’t as high. At least that’s what I recall.
    Polytech
    Mak 90’s
    Clackamas kimber 1911’s

10. surevaliance

surevaliance
    Auburn WA

All Sigs. Thanks to Hollywood for those “fbi/secret service” tails.
    I believe that Sig paid them big money to promote their chunky and outdated pistols.

Mr Smith and Mikej like this.
  11. Medic!

Medic!
    What just happened
    Pain in the neck.

There is only one gun I run across that is too expensive for me to buy. [And that's just me.]
    I'm talking about the one priced to high.

Look. We all have our threshold.
    And I'm not advocating that you should not try and get top dollar. I'm also not talking ''Those grapes are probably sour'' like I see a lot from those with no money to buy. No matter how good the deal!.

Believe me. I have money set aside to buy your gun. If it's priced right/fairly.
    But I do pretty good shaking the trees, finding good guns of all kinds at good prices. So wont suffer fool pricing.

I don't need to. There are to many good deals out there looking for my money. ;)

Sometimes the guns I find aren't always exactly what I was looking for at the time?
    But it was on my ''Buy list''.

I keep an open mind. After all. A well bought gun is always desirable.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    greghaz, Tom Louis, Southpaw and 12 others like this.
  12. Mr Smith

Mr Smith
    54 68 65 20 73 74 69 63 6b 73

desirable, popular, and expensive for no good reason...
    You building a rich man shopping list? lol

Well lets see: basically any gun Rainier Arms sells is overpriced and the place is usually pretty busy (popular?) and I can generally build an AR15 (mostly what they sell) right now for between $300 to $500 in basic configurations like they're selling with different brand name parts of course but shoot just as well yet they are asking for $1800-$3500 for guns with some mix match parts and such. LOL and forged stripped lowers for $120+ when you can get them elsewhere for $40-$50. Same part, same spec, same material, same color, different name engraved on it being the only difference.

Absolutely no good reason to have absurd prices on some of these parts.

Don't get me wrong though: I still shop at Rainier Arms for the odd part here and there like a DPMS spec AR-308 charging handle, or a 7.62x39 C-Products magazine for my AR-15 in that caliber. C-products magazines I guess could fit this definition as they sell their 7.62x39 mags for AR15's for $20/ea for 28rd mags. They are made of stainless steel though so there is that, but if you look at similar aluminum mags for 5.56x45 you see they cost about $7-$10. But unfortunately there aren't really any other viable options for the 7.62x39 caliber in the AR-15 platform as C-products seems to be the only magazine maker who makes a 100% functional magazine for that round in that rifle. Unfortunate about that last bit but I'd rather pay the extra for 100% reliability than to pay for a cheap POS that is prone to failure or temperamental operation.

13. Mr Smith

Mr Smith
    54 68 65 20 73 74 69 63 6b 73

I can back you up on this...Sig Scopes when they first came out with certain models were fairly cheap for what they were at around $700ish each but once people found out they had the same glass in them as another popular brand name in rifle scopes a couple years later the price nearly doubled on them. No good reason for the price jump other than price gouging. They aren't made any different. They aren't scarce.

rodjw and surevaliance like this.
  14. ravenswood

ravenswood
    Hillsboro, Oregon

M1 Garand. Salty old junk going for $1000+.
    Couldn't GIVE me one, unless you accept that I'll sell it right away and buy a good shooter.

Inside-CMP-1-600x338.jpg

aksu747, Taco_lean, Capn Jack and 4 others like this.
  15. turbo_vanner

turbo_vanner
    Portland
    Well-Known Member 2018 Volunteer

AK's and SKS's are cool and all, but I'll easily go without at the moment.

Capn Jack, jrd541280 and No_Regerts like this.
  16. Boboclown

Boboclown
    North Carolina

More AKs and FALs for me then. :cool:

@DuneHopper Can have all the SKS though.

17. Medic!

Medic!
    What just happened
    Pain in the neck.

OK then. Just send me all the salty old junk you cant get your head around.

Taco_lean, P7id10T, Joe13 and 2 others like this.
  18. ravenswood

ravenswood
    Hillsboro, Oregon

Nothing to do with getting my head around it. Over-priced junk is still junk even then. :)
    But if I come across any, I'll be sure to keep you in mind for your $1000+ offer.

19. Medic!

Medic!
    What just happened
    Pain in the neck.

You wouldn't know a diamond if you held it in your hands.

Joe13 likes this.
  20. ravenswood

ravenswood
    Hillsboro, Oregon

Diamonds; Over-priced and not-at-all-rare. Yup, sounds about the same.

aksu747, Dungannon, Taco_lean and 4 others like this.