JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My Dad was attracked to bolt actions. After retirement he got serious about aquiring them. Mostly Mausers because they were lower cost at gun shows. Like many of you he really didn't have much of an attachement to them. Now that he is gone, I have attachement to all of them, damn!
There are two that stand out. The first is a Mauser M93 sporter. Nearly all original and made by DWM (DMW?) of Berlin. It is a 7x57 with an octagon barrel. The stock features a brass plate on the right side without any engraving, schnabe forend and a place to store 5 rounds in the cheek piece. I have seen this on the wall since being child. Found the receipt a few years ago. Bought at a pawn shop for $80 in 1951. It kicks like a mule due to the stock configuation. It also has a period claw mount and scope.
The second is a P38 he bought before coming back from Germany after WWII. It is a Mauser as well with all numbers matching, 1944 vintage and has an extra mag and the original holster.
Then there are the first ones he gave me plus a Ansley Fox double he picked up for me because I had exressed the desire to own a side by side for so many years. The list and stories could go on, but....I don't want to bore you!

I am 63 years old and inherited my great grandfathers winchester 94 long round barreled 10 wcf ! Every male in our family tree has killed their first deer with it and I was 11 when I shot mine. I love this rifle more than anything I own because of all the memories it gives me.

I am 63 years old and inherited my great grandfathers winchester 94 long round barreled 10 wcf ! Every male in our family tree has killed their first deer with it and I was 11 when I shot mine. I love this rifle more than anything I own because of all the memories it gives me.

I would love to see a pic of that rifle.:s0155:

My father was a gun collector and lived to hunt. As he got older, he'd give me one (or sell me one for a bargain price) every so often from the collection (but none of his hunting guns). When he passed away, he left my brother and I five each. Stepmonster (without a sentimental bone in her body) insisted I pay market value for any others I wanted. I went hat in hand to the bank and borrowed all the money I possibly could to secure what I could of the remainder. I now know that Dad knew what she would do, and so was "farming them out" to me before the inevitable. When I carry one of Dad's guns in the field, Dad is with me in every step. I can hear his voice repeating advice he imparted to me so often as a young hunter.

My uncle was a hunter, but only owned two guns: A Springfield 1903 he bought at Fred Meyer in the late 50's (all original), and a Remington 870 shotgun purchased around the same time. When he got sick with leukemia, I took him on his last hunt (for antelope in Montana). The next year, he called me on the phone, I went to see him, and he handed me the Springfield and said, "Go kill something with it before I die."

The result was the Montana State Record for 2004. You may notice my eyes swelled from tears. He got to see the mounted head before he passed 4 months later. No price can be put on a gun like that.

SpringfieldBuck.jpg

Wow, she sure is/was the stepmother from ****, ain't she just? If she is still alive, I wish her endless s----s and sudden sneezes.

I have two guns that were MY dad's. His 1930-something Walther .22 and the scope he bought to put on it around the same time, and his Walther PP, found in a Sherman in Normandy, and issued, bleeve it or don't to the Vienna Police Special Branch in 1939. Yet another wartime mystery that will never be solved.

With the rifle, I learnt to shoot at the age of seven, first using it as a single-shot b/a, then with the five-shot magazine, and much later, as a semi-auto.

The pistol was my back-up gun in Northern Ireland on a number of occasions. I could not bear to part with it when handguns were banned here in yUK back in '98, so I had it de-acted.

tac

My father was a gun collector and lived to hunt. As he got older, he'd give me one (or sell me one for a bargain price) every so often from the collection (but none of his hunting guns). When he passed away, he left my brother and I five each. Stepmonster (without a sentimental bone in her body) insisted I pay market value for any others I wanted. I went hat in hand to the bank and borrowed all the money I possibly could to secure what I could of the remainder. I now know that Dad knew what she would do, and so was "farming them out" to me before the inevitable. When I carry one of Dad's guns in the field, Dad is with me in every step. I can hear his voice repeating advice he imparted to me so often as a young hunter.

My uncle was a hunter, but only owned two guns: A Springfield 1903 he bought at Fred Meyer in the late 50's (all original), and a Remington 870 shotgun purchased around the same time. When he got sick with leukemia, I took him on his last hunt (for antelope in Montana). The next year, he called me on the phone, I went to see him, and he handed me the Springfield and said, "Go kill something with it before I die."

The result was the Montana State Record for 2004. You may notice my eyes swelled from tears. He got to see the mounted head before he passed 4 months later. No price can be put on a gun like that.

SpringfieldBuck.jpg

I hope you pass it on to someone who appreciates its history when the time comes.

Winchester 9422M (lever gun in .22 Mag)
Marlin 1894CS (lever gun in .357 / .38)
Taurus 94 - 9 shot .22LR revolver
Taurus M85CH .38+P Revolver

I've had all of these for at LEAST 15 year. . . Maybe 20.
100% problem free.
would not sell any of them unless I needed the money to feed my kids.

With those guns, you have the tools needed to feed your kids. :)

Spitpatch, Thanks for sharing with us. I hope some of the young men here remember posts like yours when they think about selling their Dad's or Grandfather's rifle they inherited.

I have three firearms that I'm attatched to. My first rifle, Marlin 39A Golden Mountie! My Dad's friend had this rifle and I wanted it so bad that Dad traded his Ruger Security Six for it! This Marlin came home to be my birthday present when I turn 8 years old! Since then I have taught all three of my boys to shoot with that rifle so it has a lot a memories attatched to this piece of wood and steel. The other rifle that I dearly enjoy is my Step-father's Remington 760. This was purchase the first year they came out in 270 Win. All my time hunting with him he always carried this rifle it was his pride and joy, anytime I see this rifle in the safe or shooting it I remember him fondley. Lastly is my Kimber 10mm...my wife order this pistol for me because I would not order it for myself! I couldn't see spending that amount of money on myself, but she knew how much I wanted it and thought I deserved it!

For some dumb reason, my Browning BDM. All beat up, trigger is not so hot. But it is my favorite carry and range gun. Just got finished making a custom black walnut grip for it.
Ed

Lastly is my Kimber 10mm...my wife order this pistol for me because I would not order it for myself! I couldn't see spending that amount of money on myself, but she knew how much I wanted it and thought I deserved it!

In May my wife bought me a Kimber Montana in 30-06. I was in the same boat as you. Wanted it, but couldn't justify it. It was my anniversary present. I've given several firearms as gifts, but this was the first one I received. I'm pretty partial to it now.:cool:

My gun although i love them all would have to be my grandfathers Remington 700 in .30-06 I don't know why other than it was my grandpas favorite rifle and he treated it like a jewel.When the time came and my grandpa passed away grandma got us grandsons together and let us all pick one rifle that we wanted of his. I was lucky enough to get first pick and that beauty was all mine. i can still remember the way he looked when he held that rifle and also the first time i smelt hoppes gun solvent when we cleaned it good times always to be remembered.

I love the Memories coming out in these posts! this is exactly what I was looking for when I posted this! These are the memories that keep our hobbies/rights going into the next generation! They can become more than a way of life, but a part of the family!

Matt

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top