JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'd say one at a time.

Start with a 12g shotgun because ammo is plentiful and cheap - can be used for defense, plinking, clays and hunting most things on the west side of the cascades. That and your more or less only going to choose between a mossburg or Remington pump to start so it makes for an easier choice when you only have 2 or 3 to choose from, then he can customize as wanted. Also, cheap to buy so very little chance of buyers remorse.

I'd start stocking up on .22lr and when I had a few thousand rounds and had a better understanding on how to get ammo then I'd get a .22 rifle and pistol for plinking and training.

After that, a CCW or hunting rifle depending on the season.

He will have a list of guns by that point and can run with it - especially having a couple buddies like y'all that have a lot of stuff to try first.

A .22 rimfire rifle or possibly a pistol is really the only "required" firearm for most new gun owners.

Beyond that, it just depends on what they want the firearms for.

My only reason for .22 not being my #1 is hearing so many frustrated new gun owners at the gun counter complaining they have an almost new with 300. Rounds thru them .22's and had to buy a 2nd gun to find ammo.

My only reason for .22 not being my #1 is hearing so many frustrated new gun owners at the gun counter complaining they have an almost new with 300. Rounds thru them .22's and had to buy a 2nd gun to find ammo.

they are not looking hard enough or they are too cheap to buy what is out there. I see ammo all the time.

In the last year or so I have bought about 10K rounds of .22 LR

It isn't was easy as it used to be, but a person can find it online and occasionally in a store. There is usually some for sale here. There have been several deals of 1+K rounds in the last 6 months that I passed on because I have enough for now and I figured I would let someone else have a chance at it.

they are not looking hard enough or they are too cheap to buy what is out there. I see ammo all the time.

In the last year or so I have bought about 10K rounds of .22 LR

It isn't was easy as it used to be, but a person can find it online and occasionally in a store. There is usually some for sale here. There have been several deals of 1+K rounds in the last 6 months that I passed on because I have enough for now and I figured I would let someone else have a chance at it.

Im going to take a stab and guess your not a new gun owner then....:rolleyes:

Im going to take a stab and guess your not a new gun owner then....:rolleyes:
I've heard long time gun owners make the same complaint - recently - here on this forum.

But no - I am not new. I have 62 years and hundreds of thousands of miles on me, with lots of scratches, dents and a few broken bones. I am not even well used. I am abused, neglected, rode hard and put away wet. :D

Get into guns? I know the perfect first gun if the primary purpose is fun.

I don't own one because it doesn't have a clear purpose but an awesome first gun would be a 22 revolver like the S&W 617 or a Ruger equivalent.

"get into guns" you say?:D
upload_2016-3-24_17-18-58.png

I'd say :
Some sort of bolt action hunting rifle in .270 , .308 or .30-06
A shotgun in .12 or .20 gauge
A .22lr rifle
Maybe some sort of AR15 / AK copy / M1A1 etc ... before they are banned. ( Not saying they should be , just worried that they might be ... )
And some sort of handgun either a .38 special or .357 revolver or a .9mm or .45 acp pistol .
Kinda boring list I know, but those choices have been around for a long while for a reason , they all work really well.
Andy

maybe suggest some basic firearms safety courses first??

i know its a little off topic as you want to know which guns in particular but heres just somethin to think about.
i once knew a few people on the fence of owning guns. people i wouldnt feel comfortable taking shooting as first timers... i suggest they take a few classes and they now are happy gun owners. its amazing how a good instructor who really pushes safety,logic and "why people should own guns" can make people jump to the 'right' side of the fence.

we go shooting now.

Last Edited:
Get into guns? I know the perfect first gun if the primary purpose is fun.

I don't own one because it doesn't have a clear purpose but an awesome first gun would be a 22 revolver like the S&W 617 or a Ruger equivalent.
NO CLEAR PURPOSE! ??
Obviously you haven't heard the admonition: "all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" :)

Ruger GP100 (or any other decent revolver) and shoot .38's out of it. New shooters enjoy a light recoiling revolver.
Allot of new shooters have trouble with semi auto pistols, bigger than a .22.

A 20 gauge pump action shotgun. And again the 12ga tends to throw some folks off because of the heavy recoil. Plus woman folk like to shoot the 20 ga also!
After your use to the 20 then get a 12 gauge.
A Remington (or a Ruger American .22) bolt action .22 rifle...learn to shoot it well. Stay away from semi auto .22's..Learn to shoot first! And shoot it well!!!

Hunting rifles? TO many to choose from! your on your own...;)

I'd say one at a time.

Start with a 12g shotgun because ammo is plentiful and cheap - can be used for defense, plinking, clays and hunting most things on the west side of the cascades. That and your more or less only going to choose between a mossburg or Remington pump to start so it makes for an easier choice when you only have 2 or 3 to choose from, then he can customize as wanted. Also, cheap to buy so very little chance of buyers remorse.

I'd start stocking up on .22lr and when I had a few thousand rounds and had a better understanding on how to get ammo then I'd get a .22 rifle and pistol for plinking and training.

After that, a CCW or hunting rifle depending on the season.

He will have a list of guns by that point and can run with it - especially having a couple buddies like y'all that have a lot of stuff to try first.
While I was reading this thread I was preparing to mention a carry pistol if nobody did. Took 'till post 23 for it to happen. Good for you.

S&W 627PC .357 magnum & Marlin 1894C .357 magnum.

then suggest reloading. Keep It Simple. He is an old fartand does not need a basket full of guns. One handgun, one carbine to get very proficient with.

Last Edited:
my suggestion is one at a time until they fill they have everything they want.

the question is what to start with and that has to do with what they have to spend. once upon a time I felt I only needed one firearm and that was a hunting rifle then a buddy said hey you should get an sks they only cost $100 for a good one and ammo is cheap $69 for 1000 rds I could have bought one of them for as low as $49 (and back then you did not have to pay $10 for a background check for a rifle even from a dealer imagine that) but I saw a really nice Russian new in box with a folding bayonet for $129 and then I wanted to put a pistol grip folding stock on it but found out about 922r that would be against the law so decided I wanted an Ar15 and thats how it all started.

Too bad you can't get an sks for under $100 any more that would have been my # 1 suggestion as they were cheap easy to use ran like horse and a whole lot of fun to shoot.

I must be the last one shot one kill person out there, because of that, I think any semi-auto rifle is a poor choice for a newish shooter. It's too easy to get sucked into more bullets make up for poor shooting discipline.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top