JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This was asked of me at work one day. I asked what do you want to do with them and was answered I just want to get into guns. So here's my reply:
Semi-auto .22 pistol for practice and plinking
.22 rifle for small game hunting
12ga shotgun for bird hunting
Scoped bolt action 30.06 hunting rifle
.357 double action revolver
I know the last 2 kind of fill the same nitch but there is something so right about both of them.
So how would you answer the above question.

With .22 in short supply, I wouldnt advise a .22 firearm.. Sadly thats what many start out with.. But times are different. They wont get as much enjoyment out of their .22 if they keep having to hunt for the ammo.

Id suggest to them:
A shotgun.. Perhaps one of those deals that comes with both a 26" and 18" barrel, best of both worlds. Around $380-480 for that mossberg shotgun & barrel set

A pistol: 1911 is a great choice for someones first pistol. Accruate, easy to find ammo, easy ergos. $400-$600 for cheaper (but decent) ones.

Id also suggest a sa/da revolver in .357, common ammo, can use 38spl..etc. a longer barrel would make for better accuracy for a new shooter and boost confidence. $300-350 for the cheaper ones

As for a bolt action.. I think that may be a little soon for a new shooter. Odds are they wont make use of the rifle due to lack of range. But perhaps to get them into ARs you could always suggest a Mossberg MVP patrol, accepts AR mags, has iron sights, can accept optics, chambered in an easy to find caliber (5.56) so it can utilize .223. I think then they could get their bolt action on and make better use of it. Cost is around $600

I think with those they'd have a conservative collection that they could readily find ammo and mags for. I think that as a new shooter those would yield the best accuracy and encourage them to stay with the hobby.

I'm a 1911 fan and owner. I would not suggest one for a new gun owner. A revolver is a much better choice. If the person is not familiar with how to clear a jam in a auto, it could get ya killed. Revolvers are basically fool proof.

"Depends what you want to do and what your objective is..."

Always an open ended question with a question.

Choices.... Hmmmm... :s0153:

A modern semi-auto pistol in a common caliber
A modern magazine fed rifle minimally accessorized
A bolt action rifle in a major caliber with good glass (magazine fed a plus) capable of accurate hits out to 600 yards
A shotgun (any action-- pump, semi or O/U) in 12 or 20 gauge (great for close in/hunting--so many versatile loads as well)
A .22 rifle of some kind

All of these would fit the needs of someone getting into firearms ownership. You could do any course I offer with them, hunt to feed yourself or your family, enjoy hunting or sport shooting, or defend yourself.

It is at this point the madness usually begin....

BUG Gun-- AR-15 pistol (because their versatility is their strength)
Suppressed anything-- Because if you get one of them to fit almost all of your boomsticks, you will want more.
Anything in .338 LM (because who wouldn't want to hit something a mile away?)
a 1911-- Older the better
A small reliable pistol (Walther PPK comes to mind)-- because they are nice to have.
A PMR-30--Because they are awesome

and on... and on.... I really could go on and on.... Which is why I never take my wife gun shopping with me. ;)

Perhaps it would be a good idea, if you're so inclined, to invite this person to the range with you and let them try a variety of guns. They may find out quickly that a 12 gauge may not be for them. Maybe they enjoy rifles more than pistols. Semi-autos over revolvers.

Personally, I think more conversation should be had wit them. "Getting in to guns" doesn't require one to immediately go out and purchase one. Buying a gun is a very personal decision that, as we here all well know, is hard to identify for someone else. If they can't even answer the question of what they plan to do with the gun, they shouldn't, in my opinion, waste money just buying any old gun. And 'plinking' is plenty of reason. But without knowing why they want a gun, it's going to be difficult to nail down any particular gun - for them. And, if they get the wrong gun, it may just turn them off to the whole process.

If they really want to get in to guns, then I would suggest pointing them to a forum like this one. Tell them to poke around, read the posts, ask questions - in short, get some information before making an expensive decision. Perhaps share copies of magazines, such as American Rifleman, for one example.

A couple of months ago, I sat down with someone that has never owned or fired a gun, but wanted to get one or two for self defense - a story I related in a thread here on NWFA. We sat and talked for a few hours and have since then exchanged emails as new questions come up. One of these days, we'll get out to the range together and I'll give him a chance to actually pull the trigger. I'd rather he get that experience first, before buying something that won't work for him.

Perhaps it would be a good idea, if you're so inclined, to invite this person to the range with you and let them try a variety of guns. They may find out quickly that a 12 gauge may not be for them. Maybe they enjoy rifles more than pistols. Semi-autos over revolvers.

Personally, I think more conversation should be had wit them. "Getting in to guns" doesn't require one to immediately go out and purchase one. Buying a gun is a very personal decision that, as we here all well know, is hard to identify for someone else. If they can't even answer the question of what they plan to do with the gun, they shouldn't, in my opinion, waste money just buying any old gun. And 'plinking' is plenty of reason. But without knowing why they want a gun, it's going to be difficult to nail down any particular gun - for them. And, if they get the wrong gun, it may just turn them off to the whole process.

If they really want to get in to guns, then I would suggest pointing them to a forum like this one. Tell them to poke around, read the posts, ask questions - in short, get some information before making an expensive decision. Perhaps share copies of magazines, such as American Rifleman, for one example.

A couple of months ago, I sat down with someone that has never owned or fired a gun, but wanted to get one or two for self defense - a story I related in a thread here on NWFA. We sat and talked for a few hours and have since then exchanged emails as new questions come up. One of these days, we'll get out to the range together and I'll give him a chance to actually pull the trigger. I'd rather he get that experience first, before buying something that won't work for him.
C'mon. That makes way too much sense!:s0002:

Well then some background information, this person is getting close to retirement so looking for a hobby and has gone shooting with a couple of us in the recent past. We might have over whelmed him when between 3 gun toters of us there were about 40 guns. After a 6 hour shootin' fest he was hooked I think and a couple days later this question came up. This wasn't his first time shooting and he's ex-military, gone hunting a couple times, ect. I kind of skewed my answers towards what it seemed to be what he shot the most.

Well then some background information, this person is getting close to retirement so looking for a hobby and has gone shooting with a couple of us in the recent past. We might have over whelmed him when between 3 gun toters of us there were about 40 guns. After a 6 hour shootin' fest he was hooked I think and a couple days later this question came up. This wasn't his first time shooting and he's ex-military, gone hunting a couple times, ect. I kind of skewed my answers towards what it seemed to be what he shot the most.

If he's close to retirement, and presumably with have some extra time on his hands, did the discussion of taking up loading come up? If so, tailoring the gun choice around perhaps easier to load calibers, maybe even casting boolits, might be a valid part of the conversation too.

This was asked of me at work one day. I asked what do you want to do with them and was answered I just want to get into guns. So here's my reply:
I know the last 2 kind of fill the same nitch but there is something so right about both of them.

I would just substitute a .308 for the '06 and add a magazine fed semi rifle (AK/AR).

A combo barrel set with the shotgun makes very good sense.

That brace would cover all your hunting, plinking and defensive needs!

My reply would have been, "All of them.":p

One should not equate an interest in guns with an interest in hunting, and therefore should not automatically suggest hunting guns for someone who wants to get into guns. I, for example, like guns but have no interest in hunting.

I would suggest:

• A reliable semi-auto handgun in self-defense caliber (not .22).
  • A semi-auto handgun in .22LR
I'd stop there for starters. If they like those and want to do more then I'd start with the long guns.

You don't really get into guns, they get into you.
Help him identify what it is he is most interested in doing to start then lead him to a gun pantry to see what strikes his fancy. Sometimes it is the connection made with the people and the thrill of the outing that draws them in. If he just likes to be with you and makes things go boom then lead him to what shoots the lowest cost ammo so he can shoot a lot. Once he is hooked on the candy he will be drawn to all the brands and flavors until he finds his favorites.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top