JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The Smith and Wesson revolvers with the firing pin on the hammer. Nope not giving mine up
I'm guessing you don't know how the Smith and Wessons you are referring to actually work. Because about the only way one of those Pistols will actually fire is if the Hammer were to break allowing the firing pin to move forward and even then it would be highly unlikely that a discharge would occur.

If on the other hand, you are referring to Pistols such as the early top break designs, then you are correct. Under the correct conditions their Hammer/Firing Pin could be pushed forward, firing a cartridge. Even then it was not a common thing.

I suggest you examine the very Fine work called "Smith and Wesson, 1857-1945" by Robert Neal & Roy Jinks. This includes a number of 'radiographs' that show the internal workings of the Smith and Wessons of that period. :):):)

No firearm should be considered "drop safe" and handled with as much care as is physically possible. As a matter of fact, if you drop your weapon just get on down in the front leaning rest position and beat your face for 100 push-ups imagining that ol' Stomper the Drill Sgt. is yellin' at you and questioning your family genetic co-mingles....

o_O

:D

I'm guessing you don't know how the Smith and Wessons you are referring to actually work. Because about the only way one of those Pistols will actually fire is if the Hammer were to break allowing the firing pin to move forward and even then it would be highly unlikely that a discharge would occur.

If on the other hand, you are referring to Pistols such as the early top break designs, then you are correct. Under the correct conditions their Hammer/Firing Pin could be pushed forward, firing a cartridge. Even then it was not a common thing.

I suggest you examine the very Fine work called "Smith and Wesson, 1857-1945" by Robert Neal & Roy Jinks. This includes a number of 'radiographs' that show the internal workings of the Smith and Wessons of that period. :):):)
I had a pre war Smith I know for fact was not drop.safe in 32 short. Maybe the newer ones use transfer bars or something I have a l917 in 45acp that I would not recommend testing to find out.

I had a pre war Smith I know for fact was not drop.safe in 32 short. Maybe the newer ones use transfer bars or something I have a l917 in 45acp that I would not recommend testing to find out.
Many of the early Guns weren't but the reference was made to all Smith and Wesson Guns with Hammer Mounted Firing Pins and that just ain't so. Generally speaking the 1917 Smith is as drop-safe as any of them, as they are equipped with the transfer bar design.:):):)

Supposedly in 1915 a hammer block was installed in the k frame so I have to assume the others were getting them as well. This was a problem with the early revolvers. Still don't trust them landing on the hammer.

No firearm should be considered "drop safe" and handled with as much care as is physically possible. As a matter of fact, if you drop your weapon just get on down in the front leaning rest position and beat your face for 100 push-ups imagining that ol' Stomper the Drill Sgt. is yellin' at you and questioning your family genetic co-mingles....

o_O

:D
That had me laughing for a while, good one!

I certainly hope none of you all drop any of my guns while visiting my display...:eek:
( Joking , kinda...sometimes stuff happens. :D )

Many muzzleloaders are not 100% "drop safe" ...but I learned long ago to not drop any gun.
( Thanks Dad! )
Andy

Last Edited:
Andy; I certainly try not to make a habit of dropping any firearm in any manner let alone on the Hammer. That thought process comes from both my Dad and Grandpa. My Dad did put me behind a Thompson SMG at the ripe old age of 6 or 7 for at least a three round burst. There was an empty Chamber and then a couple of singles first. I like to think I learned my Trigger Control early on as I demo'd it during Basic a few years later and did a right Fine job of it. There is nothing like "Rock and Roll" and my Woodstock was on my M-14 which had been Converted! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

1911 Series 70?

I was the "Right Handed Rifleman" in the USCG Color Guard for the commissioning of the Polar Sea icebreaker. Being very nervous while performing the presentation of the colors, which involves some light rifle spinning of Garand rifles, in front of dignitaries (including Commandant of the Coast Guard but more importantly my Company Commander) and spectators, I got nervous and almost dropped the rifle during the catch phase of the spin. :eek::eek::eek:. Good times!!

Obviously no one plans to drop a gun, but the stories I've read is more along the lines of a shotgun or SKS set against a tree while you are otherwise occupied...

Some guns just require a little extra care was my point, not that you should be careless with others.

Obviously no one plans to drop a gun, but the stories I've read is more along the lines of a shotgun or SKS set against a tree while you are otherwise occupied...

Some guns just require a little extra care was my point, not that you should be careless with others.

Was pheasant hunting a head high stand of weeds with my fav 12ga O/U when I had to take a leak. No birds up to that point. I got to the fence line in a corner and leaned my shotty up agin the fence, prepared for action, and a bird jumped up. I thought oh well missed opportunity and continued with my biz. Wished I hadn't drank so much coffee to get going at 5am because it took so long and while I was engaged 4 more birds flushed. Sheesh!!!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top