JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A year or two ago I watched a training film about an active shooter mall incident that occurred back east somewhere. At the mall that day was an off duty officer who was armed with his personal 1911A1 style pistol.

At the lessons learned portion of the film the officer bemoaned his lack of ammunition on that day. He advised others to carry more ammunition and since then never carries less then his loaded pistol and two additional magazines while off duty.

I am not saying, go thou and do likewise, but that is the path that I have chosen. Indeed there is something comforting in a 9mm and three high capacity magazines.

These days I never carry less than 5 reloads for my primary.. and this is with a Glock 22. Did so today at costco. You can never have enough rounds on tap, ever

Blitz... I love you, man! ;)

I'm a fan of both the 9mm (for high cap mags), but tend towards .45ACP because I've seen what "just" GI issue ball ammo does to the human body. The entry wound is often a sunken crater the diameter of an orange with a .45" hole in the middle of it... can you say, "DAYUM"? My EDC is a Glock-30, it's stupid accurate/reliable and loaded with 10+1 of Cor-Bon .45+P 230gr. JHP @ close to 1100fps, plus one (sometimes two) additional 10rnd. mag(s).

I think I'm covered well enough. ;)

Run towards the SOB screaming at the top of your lungs gun in hand when you get within 30 ft start shooting. Since we all know the normal reaction for someone being attacked like this is to wet their pants and run. Its logical to assume the active shooter will do the same (witness the Clackamas mall shooter) if you hit him great keep shooting until you are on top of him. If not you will have so rattled him that his only reaction will be to run away trying to save himself.

Least thats my crazy assed theory

Great point Ron. The HK is by no means a small gun and I've carried it most days for the last 5+ years. On some occasions I carry a Glock 19. The HK is shockingly easy to shoot even compared to the larger frame .45s I own. I am very confident with it but that comes from regular practice.

Like MrNiceGuy suggests, I think I may need to pick up a 5 shot 38 for the occasions when concealed is only available with a pocket or smaller holstered gun. I don't like the alternative of not carrying. I look at concealed carry as my obligation to friends and family.

Brian

Glock 19 Longslide?

For true hideouts I like the sub compact 9MMs better than a 5 shot 38 snub.. faster reloading and more concealable, easier to carry more reloads

I will say that if I were able to be in that CT school I would have acted out of instinct. Helpless litle children cannot make the decision to arm themselves the way adults in public can, (say in movie theatre or mall) so I would likely feel morally obligated, instinctively

Getting involved with an active shooter would likely mean in public and with the gun I'm carrying. I carry a Commander sized single stack 1911 .45.

Given my options I'd rather engage from a distance with my 30-06.:s0155:

I should not mention this but with zinc die casting metals, one can make a perfectly legal pistol caliber AP round with the right aluminum and steel bullet dies

Only if you have the now restricted armor piercing ammo. The civilian stuff you can now buy won't do it.

Elite Ammo has some 'capable' ammo, but good luck buying any now. T6 > S4M

I agree with the 'whatever you have on you' - I'll play along even though the chance of ever being around an 'active shooter' is just about nil - I would choose an HK23 over any other handgun. Goliath's favorite carry piece. (45acp Buffalo Bore HP +P 8 rounds, then hard cast 45 SUPER 255g for the last four. Just in case the patsy found some cover. Nothing like a 255g bullet supersonic out of the possibly the most durable and reliable HG ever made.

I carry a full size 1911 in 45, purely because that's what I shoot all the time and what I'm most comfortable with. Under that scenarios stress, you want the gun you know so well you can operate it while asleep.

I think Nick Meli uncovered an unknown variable in dealing with shooters like we've seen recently. It doesn't take much to cause a suicidal shooter to commit his end game move. There only dangerous when they perceive they are in control. the slightest deviation in that control makes them fearful they will not be successful in taking their own life completing their plan.

In the Clackamas town center shooter all it took was for the shooter spotting the business end of a Glock pointed at him and he scrambled to finish the last part of his plan.

glock 23 as its the just like the gun that I play and train (g35) in our action pistol matches. We practice strong and weak hand, use of cover and concelment for both shooting and reloads. Starting from seated, prone and standing positions,tacticle and speed reloads. Shooting while stationary and while on the move. Its a lot different to shoot and hit what you are aiming at from a relaxed, non heavy breathing, blood racing too being on the scramble and huffing and puffing with adrenaline flowing. I would hope that I would stand my ground and put the shooter down but will never know untill placed in that situation (which I hope never comes but try to train for the day it does).

EDC: XD-45 with 2 spare 13 rounders of Hornady 200grn +P for me. I have personally witnessed the failure of a 9mm round in an adrenaline driven situation. Yes that was ball ammo, and the guy was probably out of his mind on opium, but still.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top